AAARGH.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ra88, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    So I was at the Dutch Collector's Convention today; a major event for all kinds of collecting objects. It used to be a cool event, but over the past 2 years it's been getting less and less worth going to. And with Transformations coming up, not all fans showed up.

I decided to go anyways, but I didn't expect much. I wasn't interested in current line TF toys (saving my money), I knew that no seller would have MP-05 yet, so I was just planning to pick up a few random action figures.

But that's when I saw it, after an hour walking: a SINGLE Megatron.

I quickly took a look into my wallet, but CRAP! Just 85 euros, and the guy was asking 110! I grumbled, walked up to meet with my dad, and my plan worked perfectly as he walked along to take a look at it. And he was, I heard a whistle.:cool:  Of course, the problem was my mother, so we walked off to call her. After much whini...Erm, bargaining she agreed, and so we walked back to pick it up.

AND IT WAS SOLD RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY NOSE.

I WAS GONE FOR 30 SECONDS AND THE ONLY THING I WANTED FROM THE ENTIRE CONVENTION AND THAT HAS BEEN SHELFWARMING THE ENTIRE DAY WAS SOLD WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING!

Bah. Guess I'll have to go through the hassle of ordering it online.:mad: 

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That would irk me too, but if you play your cards right, you can get one for that 85.00

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I feel your pain dude.
    I sure hope you'll find one pretty soon.

4. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Yeah, it was slim pickings this year. I returned home empty handed as well.

5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Come pick one up at Transformations! I'm sure some dealer will show up with it.
    [​IMG]
    link

iDD

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tough break kid. You snooze you lose.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ouch. Tough break. I've been there and I know how disappointing that is.

Some advice for next time...and for anyone else reading this:

Never walk away after a vendor gives you a price. At this type of event, most all prices are open to negotiation...unless they're a manufacturer/vendor like "Stylin' Online" where they only sell at retail/list price. (And even then, I've still managed to score some deals by negotiating.)

Here's what you do:

Tell the vendor all you have is X-amount of dollars. In my experience, you flash that kind of cash under a vendor's nose at a convention and they'll cave about 80% of the time... especially if it's the last day of the con.

And even if they don't take your offer, your offer opens the door for negotations, and you might be able to get the item for somewhere between his original sale price, and "your price"--what you wanted to pay for it. Never ask a vendor "Is this your best price?" Because their "best price" is maximum profit over cost.

Vendors generally have two kinds of prices for the same item: what they *hope* to get out of an item, and the absolute lowest they'll sell it for over cost in order to still turn a profit.

Trust me on this. I have lots of experience haggling prices at flea markets, thrift and antique stores, and many conventions. It's how you work them to your advantage. I've even DELIBERATELY taken money out of my wallet and hidden it in my pocket, and showed the vendor how much I had: the price *I* wanted to pay for whatever item I wanted to buy. I've had an incredible success rate using this method.

Also, during negotations, show the cash and say, "This is the best I can do." and then start walking away. I've done this over amounts just between $5-10 and still managed to land my purchase for what I preferred to pay for it. Con vendors HATE losing cash sales, and they'll nearly always stop you and say, "Wait..." Works like a charm.

Confidence helps too. Don't be timid, and don't allow a vendor to intimidate you. Know in advance what "your price" is before you even make an offer.

Example: If you know the retail/list price on an item and it's a newer item, and the vendor has it jacked 20% or more, offer the retail price. Chances are, they'll bite, unless they paid retail originally. Or say it's priced at $50, but it's vintage. You decide that $40 is as high as you'll go. But open your bid by asking, "Would you take $35?"

Vendor says, "$45."

You say, "Well, $40 is as high as I can go." Or you use my method and say, "$40 is all I have."

I'd say the odds are still in your favor that you get your item for your price.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I had that at Botcon last year; someone bought the last WST Grimlock from TFSource, just as I was getting my wallet out.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that dude...maybe you could have told the seller to 'reserve' the figure for you and you could leave a deposit whilst you look for your parents? But don't worry, I'm sure you're get him soon or later! :) 

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, one problem with that: The seller was Dutch. We are many things, and one of them is "extremely cheap". :drunk  Did try it, though.

Yup, should have done that. I was even this close to asking it, but I figured my mother wouldn't give permission anyways.

Looks like I'll have to do that, especially since Gerrutcamaro has all of his MP-05 orders filled.