Aaaarrrgh!! Stupid Laptop..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rattrap007, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My laptop is costing me an arm and a leg this week and is driving me nuts...

Sunday I woke up and my laptop wouldn't let me log onto the internet. It is the windows Anti Virus. I had infections and stuff and wouldn't let me log on whatsoever. I even said I wanted to log on unsecured. Well crap. Windows wants $50-60 for their program. Screw that. I'll get a cheaper one at work. So Monday I bought McAffee. I install it, all the while getting CONSTANT pop ups from Windows AV about the viruses it already warned me about. I do mean constant. I check the installation progress and Windows AV pops up its scan and warnings. Close them out and 3 minutes later they pop up again!

Well McAffee shows it is clean. Still can't log on. I end up dropping ANOTHER $50-60 for the Windows Anti-Virus. That does the trick. It works fine the other day. No problems..

Wake up this morning and try to log onto internet. Click on Firefox and it says it is an unrecognized program. So I go and set it up with Firefox.exe file. Nope won't connect me. I try Chrome, IE, etc and it won't run .exe files. It keeps wanting me to find a program to run them.

Now I need to find a way to fix this or pay to get it repaired. Also i changed nothing else or did anything messing with the protocols.

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait a min... you had to pay for Windows Anti-Virus? One supplied by Microsoft? Because I think you've been scammed.
    Microsoft Security Essentials (which is a good, free anti-virus program) is, as I said, free: Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Also, there are other free ant-virus programs like AVG or Avast.

3. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

My mother in law had that on her laptop too. Im pretty sure she took it to some computer place to have it fixed.

Chuck

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I had this problem.

Try this on the second post.

Windows XP cannot run exe files - Tech Support Guy Forums

If it works its only a temorary solution.

5. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Typically, "Windows Anti Virus" IS the actually virus. watch whatever card you payed with... I clean 3-4 PCs of that garbage every month, there are like a hundred with different yet similar names. Vista Anti Virus. Windows Security. Security Tools 20xx. Anti Virus 20xx. etc.

Download a live cd, like Hiren's Bood cd 14.0, burn the .iso to a CD (on another PC, obviously), boot to the miniXP mode and run Malware Bytes. That should do you a good start.

6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I think you just paid a virus to stay on your computer. :eek: 

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.....

I can't understand why so many people fall for this. Something pops up on your screen out of the blue, you've never heard of it, but just because it says "Microsoft" or "XP", you whip out the credit card. People need to do some research.

I get calls at work about stuff like this all the time. First thing I do is a google search. 9 times out of 10, I get how to get rid of "****".

8. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Also this is Windows 7..

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Familiarize yourself with the System Restore function.
    And Microsoft Security Essentials is the least intrusive, most functional antivirus software I have ever used.
    And it’s free.

10. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    you just bought into the scam.

I've had to clear out that virus 3 times on 2 different machines in the past 4 months. It's annoying as hell to fix. Follow the link above and you should be fine. Also, whatever card you used, I would get the card replaced. New numbers and everything. Sadly, you just bought a very expensive computer lesson.

Next time you know to use google if your computer starts acting odd or you see an anti-virus program you never installed. For the future, look into using Avast! and Malware bytes.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You paid money?

12. rattrap007

News Credits:

Thing is you couldn't access the internet PERIOD from it.

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Most likely, it was hosing your DNS and could direct connect to it's own servers. Just because a browser won't open doesn't mean that there is zero connectivity... If it couldn't connect at all, how did you use it to pay the $50?

14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Well it was denying access to the internet via browsers. I may contact my credit card company in a few days and let them know it was a scam and to deny them payment. Also have them cancel my account and send me a new card.

15. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Tried the link and it didn't work with Win7

16. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    i would not wait a few days to call your credit card company. Do it NOW. Scammers already have your number and information. I doubt they'll wait long to try to use it.

17. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    It probably wont work if you are still using the infected laptop.

18. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well, yeah, but that's why there are other computers to use in the world :) 

19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Well turns out it was Personal Guard. I have to wait a few days for it to post, right now it is a temp charge and has no reference number. Did change accounts now.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a product direct from Microsoft. It will work on Windows 7.
    In fact, when I clicked on the download link it offered me it for Windows XP, Vista/Win7 32-bit and Vista/Win7 64-bit.

In the mean time, here is what I would advise:
    1. Go to a unaffected computer with a USB flash drive.
    2. Go to SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! and download to the flash drive the portable version (don't worry, it's free, but make sure it's the portable)
    3. Go to your laptop that has been causing you problems, insert the USB flash drive and then access the download of SuperAntiSpyware (don't worry that it's a .COM extension. That is perfectly normal.)
    4. Run the program, letting it search through all your attached drives. Go and have a cup of tea or soda or masturbate while it does this.
    5. That should hopefully clear it off your system and allow you to install a anti-virus program of your choosing (the version of McAffee you bought, or MSE, AVG or Avast)

You could even download the installer for MSE, or any other free anti-virus software, from the unaffected computer so you have it already for install.