A3 - Advanced System of Action Arms

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Nerroth, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi.

[​IMG]

Recently, I got the Figma of Mitsurugi Meiya - which is not a bad figure, though one I didn't know all that much about.

(I still have to get around to taking some pics, too....)

It turns out, however, that she is from a series of interwoven timelines from different games, novels and other sources - some of which involve a cataclysmic alien invasion.

The most notable of these war-scarred timelines is the one shown in the game Muv-Luv Alternative, as well as the novel-based side-story Total Eclipse and the soon-to-be-released Integral Works background book.

A3 is a figure line by Volks which features these 'mechs - or as they are referred to locally, Senjutsuki (Tactical machines).

Since in this setting, the kind of design effort which had gone into fighter craft (made somewhat obsolete in the face of the invaders, it seems) went elsewhere, the Senjutsuki-tachi are named and styled after various Japanese, American, Russian and other fighter craft - such as the Su-37 and the F-22 - with a few new names and customs thrown in for good measure.

In terms of cost, one example might be the unit I think is Meiya's personal mount - which is in the 6000 yen ballpark, assuming you can buy one off the shelf at a Japanese retailer. Shipping it outside of Japan might be another matter, though.

Has anyone here had a look at any of these A3s, and if so would you recommend them?

(As an aside, I found this piece of music on YT, but I'm not sure what, if any, official connection it has to the Total Eclipse setting. I like it, even so!)

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info man, I always wondered what the inspiration for the mecha was.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I don't have any of the A3 mecha myself, but I know a guy who does. They're all plastic, decently solid, but very expensive for what you get out of them. Not as nicely designed as, say, Bandai's Robot Damashii figures, but more of a niche design so you pay a higher "otaku tax" on them :p 

4. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    No problem!

Do you know which models he has?

(One thing I'd like to see is a list of which units are noted mounts for which characters. It's not always easy to try and pick them out as it stands...)

5. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    It's a damned shame - one of the coolest units in the setting (this time, from The Euro Front - a spinoff similar to Total Eclipse) - only has a custom-built model!

That thing looks like someone took an Enact or Flag, then cranked the GAR factor up to 11...

That said, at least it looks like the standard version of the EF-2000 will get a release next year... fingers crossed.

6. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I've taken notice of this line...

I'm going to go broke from all this Japanese Plastic Mecha crack...

EDIT - Does anyone know where these can be bought? I'm really interested in #27 XFJ-01a...

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    They're only sold through Volks direct, so you'd need a proxy buyer or a friend in Japan to order them for you. They're limited as well, so if you're hoping to find an older one, good luck. Check YJ auctions and be ready to pay a fortune.

8. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    *Smacks forehead on table* I realize that now.

Are these RD size?

9. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    There's a product page up for the standard EF-2000 now.

I still wanna see a model for the black version, though.

10. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    There's a custom model for the Su-47 in the Feb 2010 Hobby Japan - and it looks awesome.

Also, the technical book, Integral Works, looks really nice!

EDIT: Also, there is a preview of some of the, um, alternative Alternative-timeline stories here.

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Curses!

They finally announce the black variant of the EF-2000...

[​IMG]

...as a limited edition!

As if the damned product line itself wasn't obscure enough already.

(I miiiiight be more forgiving if they ever do a non-limited release of a mech based on this, however.)