A Wii problem with the straps?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PopCulturePooka, Nov 24, 2006.

1. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Theres been more and more reports popping up about the Wii strap breaking and causing players to lose their grip on the Wiimote, sometimes with comedy breakage effects.

Now I know some of the more hot blooded nintendo cats here will use some argument like:

'Why are you flailing it about?'
    'You only need light movements'
    'Idiots'

Etc.

But theres a few things. One is the fact that this is being sold as a console for non gamers and kids. People who may get fully into the games they are playing. To have such shoddy workmanship on something that WILL be used heavily is weak.

Second, sometimes hands get sweaty right? And the Wiimote looks smooth and sleek. Smooth and sleek and a bit lubricated (oh dear). Accidents waiting to happen.

But kind of funny.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wiis-faulty-controller-straps-217028.php

http://www.level99comic.com/index.php?itemid=266

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Agreed - there is absolutely no excuse for shoddy workmanship on the straps. ESPECIALLY given the way Nintendo's been advertising the Wii-motes as something you can swing around.

3. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I can't wait for the Penny Arcade comic about this.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Is the strap really necessary? I had seen it in images of the controller, but I don't plan on using it when I get one if it's not necessary.

5. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

It comes with the strap attached.
    Anyways I got mine today and I have to say I really don't know how they end up losing grip on the thing. Maybe i'm just not swinging it hard enough or something but most people should be able to hold onto something they themselves are swinging. As for kids swinging wildly, all the pictures i've seen so far show older teens/early adults being the ones breaking them. I doubt a small child could swing hard enough to break it.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yeah, I gotta wonder what kind of morons are losing control on these things? I rarely use the strap. Only time I put it on is during Wii Sports, but I keep a solid grip on the controller all the time. Never had it slip out of my hands.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

No excuse for anyone to blame the Ninendo for shoddy worksmanship of the straps when the real cause is overzealousness with the motion. If you are really concerned about losing grip on the control just get one of the covers that can improve the grip and looks nice at the same time. I am bowling about 220 average on Wii sports and I don't swing my arm like a pro. Only small, controlled swing will do the trick nicely.

8. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless they decide to flail it around by the straps, I see no problem. If they're GRIPPING the Wiimote like the system tells you to, there should be no problem, IMO.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's idiotic that people would swing the controller that violently... but it's also inevitable that some people are going to be that stupid (or that drunk). Nintendo isn't in the business of manufacturing string though. If this is a real problem and not something completely overblown, then it looks like Nintendo needs to go to someone else for their string.

10. gil

gil Godmaster

Exactly. There ain't no straps on a REAL baseball bat, or a REAL tennis racket. I don't see any baseball bats flying. Why do people let go of their wiimote? But what do I know, I don't own a Wii yet.

11. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Well, what about kids? Nintendo systems have always made the push for being an all-ages audience. The more energetic someone is, the more over-swinging they may be doing, the more likely it may slip out of their hands. The entire point of the strap is so that when this happens your Wiimote doesn't go flying, unfortunately the string seems to fail at keeping the remote attached to the strap.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't see straps on their toy lightsabers and plastic bats.

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Kids I can understand. I've seen plenty of kids swinging things around and flying out of their hands.

I'm thinking at this point, Nintendo needs to put some sort of chain on the damn thing.

14. The_Bardock

but could a kid throw it hard enough for it to snap? or just a older teen/adult?

15. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Had you actually read the Kotaku article linked in the original post instead of just blindly replying; you would know that yes, kids can throw it hard enough for it to snap.

16. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Fact is the strap is there and it is meant to keep the controller from flying out of your hand. The little string holding it is too weak and it should be changed. In all the ads for the wii people are swinging the controller all over the place. Now i love nintendo, but if the strap doesn't work they should fix it.

17. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Thanks, I was gunna say the same thing with a lot more venom at the butt monkeys who lack reading comprehension.

We had kids play our store demo Wii and get... 'energetic'. Its a natural reaction, particularly for non-gamers, and its sleek plastic with no 'hilt' or stop. Enough of these accidents happen and you watch consumer groups start bealting.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Pooka called it. Every single one.

Good work.

20. The_Bardock

:rolleyes2 
    Yeah blind replies alright. What I said was based on the threads I had been reading on the official nintendo forums about this issue. All of the ones I saw there were done by adults, so sorry about not reading your specific articles.