A Wii little question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PopCulturePooka, May 15, 2006.

1. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Does anyone know if the Wii games will be region free and ESPECIALLY if the virtual console games will be available to all regions/region free?

One of the HUGE selling points for me for the PS3 is it being region free. I am sick of Australia missing out on some great titles (Xenosaga I, Chrono Cross for PS1 etc) or waiting ages (ala Final Fantasy).

Which got me thinking about the Wii. I could soften my stance on the thing immensly if suddenly I could download old nintendo games that never got too Australia in the past.

But if the virutal machine will be dictated by country... then... yeah.

EDIT: Also are gameboy/GBA games part of the VM? Do games save on the Wiis HD/save media, or do they require a redownload?

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I dont think they have anounced if Wii games will be region free. But I think they have announced that the VC will have games from all regions. aka Japanese games.

keep in mind that Im not 100% sure on my info. I was unable to dig up the sources that I found the info in.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the thread title I got all dyslexic and read the title as A little Wii question, and just about died laughing.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think all nintendo titles have been region free, if I'm not mistaken.

5. PopCulturePooka

Not in the past. I defiantely remember SNES games from America didn't work here. Cartridges were even slightly different in shape.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

only for portables

7. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

there were adaptors running arround on the market I mean I had a famicon addapter for my nes(and viceversa)....and it was awsome! however I remember nintendo's advicing againt it as it also allowed the famicom cartrige design to get into the china duplication market and soon everyone had fake famicon cartiges that worked in the nes.good times I got the macross game without even knowing it for my birthday!

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It hasnt been announced if you can download multi-regional games. But no, you cannot download GB/GBA games for it. currently only 5 systems are supported: NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and TG16. Games are stored on the systems 512 MB of flash memory, although you can probably store them on removable storage as well.

All nintendo cartridge games are region free, except for PAL games. the shapes of the cartridges are changed to keep them from being inserted into systems outside their specific region, but there's a ton of ways around that.

I HOPE they would just make it so if a game was available in english, then it would be downloadable in every english-speaking region. There's probably licensing issues that wouldnt allow for that though.

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Tell that to my Japanese copy of FF6 that runs on my North American SNES. All you have to do to play Super Famicom games on the SNES is remove 2 tabs in the cart bay on the SNES. All Nintendo games except the Gamecube ones have been region free, some just require you to snap pieces off the console.

10. Megatron

Megatron Peace through tyranny

first off, the wii has no hard drive, it has a measly 512 mb internal flash card, which is used to store saves AND games, as u could imagine it will fill up real quick.

and ALL nintendo consoles, except the nes/famicom, and gamecube are region free. the carts are just shaped differently.

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    But the Wii has two GC memory card slots. And it's also been mentioned somewhere that's it's possible to save games to a removable storage device via the usb ports. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

12. PopCulturePooka

Ouch, doesn't seem like much at all...

What do you mean here? Australia is PAL, hence my concern.

It'd be pretty stupid of them not too if they could.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

it has an sd card slot as well. most of the downloadable games are really small. the biggest licensed nes game was less than a megabyte.

14. Megatron

super nintendo games were bigger though....

i used to work at a gamestop, and we had to be up to date on hardware specs...

this thing wont be worht 250 tho.... i could get an OBSOLETE computer, att around 300, that would put the wii to shame in the power department....

and the gamecube slots are for gamecube games...

and i think the Wii will be region encoded, just like the gc....

but any super nintendo/famicom, n64, and gameboys/ds, no matter where they are from, all run each others games, they are region free, you just have to alter the cartridge...

and the nes wasnlt region free per se, it has i believe 8 extra bits, which connect to the lockout chips in the nes, ergo, famicom games need an adaptor to run on nes

you can find one in very early gyromite carts... but im not sure if they can run on the nes with the adaptor.... theoretically they could

btw i kniowwhat im talkin about, i studied electronics....

and even if it is region coded, datel will probably make a freeloader disc that will allow you to play games from all regions like they did or the gc

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There is no region lock, just that all cartridges have chips or data headers in them that stop them being played natively by systems from countries with a different TV standard. Bypass that and there is nothing stopping you playing NTSC games on a PAL machine or the other way round. Thier portables have never had it because there is no need when you have a built-in screen thats the same everywhere.

Remember those SNES converter cartridges? Thats why you always had to plug a native game in the back, so the cartridge could con the system by sending it the TV standard data from that before running the different standard game you plugged in the top.

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You'll have a bigger problem storing the ps1 games on the 1gb memory stick for the psp then the nes, gen, snes, tg16, and n64 games on a 1gb sd card for the wii. N64 is the only one that will give you a little trouble, and I think the max file size on them is something like 50mb.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't see a problem, its not like the N64 had more then half a dozen good games anyway. :p 

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

*Shudder* Or the console. If you've got an SNES rather than a Super Famicom, you can just clip out the bumps that keep out Super Famicom cartridges. It's easy, it's cosmetically invisible, and you won't have to scar your SFC carts.
    "Theoretically" nothing. It's documented multiple places online and I do it myself all the time. There's also a mod you can do to the NES and the adaptor so that it will correctly play the music from Famicom games with special sound chips. You can get the adaptor from other first generation NES games too. I think Pinball was another that sometimes has it. The one problem with using these is that it can be difficult to get the cartridge and adaptor back OUT of the NES.

19. Megatron

technically, the nes isnt region free, you need to modify the console, or find a to get the famicom cart in there, and then find a way around the lockout chip.

if you have to do an actual hardware mod=not region free.

the snes, and n64, you only need a cosmetic mod, so they are region free.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No you couldnt.

And besides, no one cares about the power the Wii has. people are interested in the new gameplay possibilities, which you CAN'T get on any other system or a computer. The age of "graphics make the system" is finally coming to an end.