A way to auto-win auctions?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by dkrolickm, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Thanks to maximum bids and ebay only using the bid that is incrimented up from the lower bid, can one just do a maximum bid of $1,000,000 and only pay the incrimented bid?

Example:

The current bid for an item is $10.00. Tom is the high bidder, and has placed a maximum bid of $12.00 on the item. His maximum bid is kept confidential from other members.

Laura views the item and places a maximum bid of $100,000,000. Laura becomes the high bidder.

Tom’s bid is incremented to his maximum of $12.00. Laura’s bid is now $12.50.

Ebay sends Tom an email that he has been outbid. If he doesn’t raise his maximum bid, Laura wins the item.

Could this work?

2. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Of course you can, but you won't be able limit the amount that you would want to spend on the item unless you have to have it at all costs.

Say another bidder sets $100 as his max bid, then Laura would have to pay $100 plus whatever the increment is. You wouldn't be able to control your spending then unless you withdraw your bid early.

3. dkrolickm

Ebay:
    Your bid would be limited to the increment of the next bidder in line.
    I got some pms about this, and Ive learned that this would be very dangerous if 2 peple did it.
    Winning bid: 1,000,000
    runner up: 900,000

End bid would be a little more than 900,000.
    I would never do this, I'm just wondering if anyone ever thought of this.

4. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Yes, I understand that my bid would be limited to the increment of the next bidder in line. Why anyone would do this, I don't know. Shill bidding purposes perhaps?

5. dkrolickm

Ebay:
    I don't know, I just got the realization that when I bid $10 with a max bid of $15, someone out there might be max bidding $1,000,000 and only having to pay ~$11.50.
    An instantly won auction, because it would be crazy to bid ~$1,000,000 on a $10 item.

Is that what shill bidding is?

6. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Yes, it would be instant win no matter what since no one would bid a million max bid on an item but the thing is you would not be able to control the amount that you would want to spend on it. What if someone max bids, let's just say $2k on an item that's worth $10 like you said. Would the person max bidding a million really want to pay $2k plus? No, he would not. It's too risky to use this method.

It would be an instantly won auction with a heavy price tag if you're unlucky.

And shill bidding is when the seller uses a different account or collaborates with someone to raise the bids/price on their own auctions.

7. Thonor

Thonor Autosmot

No - shill bidding is a seller using a separate account to bid on his own items. It creates an artificial bidding war with anyone who ligitimately bids on the item. The seller is trying to run up the cost of the item.

If you want an instant win on ebay - why not just snipe with a high price? It's much easier and if someone else really wants the item they won't have time to react to the snipe.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sniping is how you win.

9. dkrolickm

Ebay:
    My method is just going with the minimum, and putting in bids when the clock runs out...
    Is that a losing way?

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Really, the best way to win an auction is to do it the way God and ebay intended.

Place a bid for the MAXIMUM AMOUNT THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY. If it goes over that, someone else will get it, but if you REALLY placed your maximum tolerance-amount, it shouldn't bother you.

I understand the "Oh! I got sniped and missed it by .50" heartache, but trying to avoid that is just playing mind games with yourself. You end up paying more than you really want to when you try to win "at all costs."

I think ebay would be a lot more fun and a lot more fair if people weren't always trying to out-fox each other and get the "best deal." It's human nature, though, and it'll never stop.

D/L

11. dkrolickm

Ebay:
    Nicely put! :thumb 

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Yahoo! Auction Japan actually prevents frustration by extending the auction by a certain amount of time every time someone snipes. You can technically extend the auction indefinitely this way until the highest bid gets too rich for someone's blood.

13. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sam comes in, places his 100,000,000 bid as well. Laura's bid is at 100M now.
    Laura retracts her bid because she's no stupid, Sam wins the auction at $12.50 which was the last valid amount before Laura's bid.

It's unpredictable and that's why you never heard of such thing happening. You can win the auction, but only God knows how much you're going to pay.

14. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I hate that lol, drives the price up so much and ive had it extend for a good hour+ before

15. VitaminZinc

VitaminZinc Bad and Evil

I wish ebay extended the time when someone tries to snipe. Sniping is dirty and evil, and has cost me many an auction.

It's also won me a few, but I feel bad afterwards.

16. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Side note: auctionsniper.com

Indeed, although that statement should be qualified by the fact (at the risk of stating what everyone all knows) that eBay don't allow bid retractions in the last 12 hrs of an auction.

17. Thonor

Thonor Autosmot

I snipe EVERYTHING - so I love it. I don't feel bad, it's part of the game of buying on ebay. I just put in the maximum I'm willing to pay, then I leave it. I don't have to sit in front of my computer and watch items. I also avoid the "I have to have it" people, because my snipe registers too late for them to react and place a higher bid.

I've lost a lot of items sniping where I've said "Damn - I'd have paid that price". But, I never pay more than I'm willing to pay for any given item.

Besides - I love sniping something away from two or three people in a bidding war - I laugh like crazy every time it happens.:rolleyes: 

18. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if I'd even call that sniping! If you're putting in the bids late in the game, I guess it sort of is, but other than adding a little drama, it's effectively no different than if you put in that same amount the minute the auction was posted.

The psychology of ebay is all very interesting, isn't it?

D/L

19. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    You have won Ebay. Congratulations.

20. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

Sniping FTW! There's no reason to feel bad about sniping. It's the most efficient way to win an item and it has been proven mathematically.