A way Peter Cullen could appear in the films

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    I read or heard this somewhere, it's a cool idea that could of been in the movie.

So say there's the orginal Peterbuilt that Optimus scans, maybe parked at a gas station, or truck stop. The driver (which would be Peter Cullen) is sleeping in the cab seat, and he is awoken by loud foot steps, and he see's a huge shadow (which would be Optimus' protoform) loom over the truck, scan it, and then transform an drive off, leaving Cullen pretty much jaw dropped. I know that defeats the whole keeping undercover when they first get to earth thing, but I think that would of been a pretty good scene, and a good way to work Cullen into the movie.

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the whole "Peter Cullen as a truck driver"-cameo is pretty much a unanimous vote in terms of fans' cameo wishes. Maybe they can fit it in somewhere in TF4, who knows? I'd love it.

3. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Why not a holo-driver?

4. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

this obvislouly, would like to see him be Prime's fake driver than get plucked by Megatron's finger in TF1!!:rolleyes: 

5. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I wish he had been the driver in TF1; that would have been awesome.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This or a shot of Peter Cullen and Frank Welker having lunch before all hell breaks loose with bots fighting.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think the nearest we ever got was the driver in the cowboy hat in the Voyager Optimus figure from the first movie.

But since Stan Lee was able to get a cameo in so many movies based on his characters I feel it's almost criminal (criminal, I say!!) that Cullen, or Welker, haven't had cameos in any of the live-action TF movies.
    When shots of holo-drivers were first leaked from the '07 BayFormers film I remember there being lots of people hoping we'd see Cullen as the holo-driver of Optimus. I really can't fathom why it was never actually done. And a Cullen holo-driver speaking a line with the Optimus' voice ( "Autobots, roll out!' ) would just be so awesome to have in a movie and a great recognition of all Cullen has done for the franchise over so many years.

On a side note: I always thought it looked a bit silly with Sideswipe driving about in DotM with no roof and no driver. If there was ever an excuse to give Autobots holo-drivers...

8. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Peter Cullen is going to cameo as a truck driver,that will be awesome in TF4

9. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Granted, voice actor cameos would be awesome to see, especially by Cullen and Welker. But I think a plus point for the TFilms is that they don’t utilize too many Easter eggs (references, cameos, etc) like with ANIMATED; they more or less stand on their own, as by a non-TFan.

Anyway MBay doesn’t really make these films like the Marvel comic films, which are loaded to the brim with comic references, Easter eggs and cameos. In fact most of the references (in the first TFilm there were Bee’s radio transmissions, the Takara sign, MBay’s digital double) are added in by the scriptwriters and the VFXperts at ILM, who are big TFans. His style is to shoot head-on action as written by his scriptwriters – if anything he will feature elements from his own films (PEARL HARBOUR, BAD BOYS, THE ISLAND), but that’s all; the rest of the homages are provided by others.

So while it sounds great and possibly fitting, it might not really happen.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly they should have gotten the voice actors to be the holo drivers.

Hell Peter Cullen's dream was to always drive Optimus Prime.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The human flicked by Megatron was Bay
    I`m pretty sure that Peter cullen was the Holodriver in one of the scenes... though not 100% sure on that

13. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i'd like to see a cameo. in the fast and the furious, the director was the pizza delivery guy who got told to piss off when they were having a race. it'd be funny if he did a prime expression during a particular situation.

14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see Cullen driving the semi that Optimus scans

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's a whole bunch of places you could fit Cullen into the movies. Even just as a guy on the street watching as Prime drives past.

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    IDW gave us -and Peter- a fan nod...he would great behind the wheel. :thumb 

[​IMG]

17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I wanna see Peter Cullen as a truck driver - Optimus accidentally steps in front of a cab-over semi, making him slam on the brakes. Then the truck driver jumps out and starts arguing with Optimus to watch where he's going, while Optimus is trying to be as apologetic as he can.

18. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    The holo-driver idea is still probably the best, in my opinion.

Sam: "Whoa, whoa, guys. You're gonna need to do something."
    Ironhide: "What!?"
    Sam: "You can't just drive around with no drivers! That'd kind of freak people out!"
    Ratchet: "He's right. We can't risk alarming the humans."
    Optimus: "Autobots, engage hologram pilots."
    *Then the camera would pan from each vehicle, showing their holo-driver (aka, their voice actor) materialize in the driver seat*

BOOM.

That would be great to see Cullen act all angry, but I think it'd be better if they both acted exactly like, well, Optimus and Peter Cullen.

*truck driver gets out of the vehicle, adjusts his hat and walks over to Optimus*
    *Optimus kneels down, practically face-to-face*
    Optimus: "My apologies, civilian. Are you injured?"
    Driver: "Oh, no. I'm fine. It was entirely my fault."
    Optimus: "Nonsense. You behaved exactly as your Earth traffic laws dictate. Pardon me, I have to go."
    *driver waves his cowboy hat at him in respect*

Sort of like Optimus meeting the human version of himself. You know, since Cullen is pretty much the most polite person on the planet. :) 

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    All of these would put some happy in my hunderpants.

On a side note, I really wish Peter Cullen would get better placing in the film's credits. There's all the human character actors getting their name shown big and with a full screen shot to themselves at the end of the film before the main credits crawl, but Cullen has to wait to be included small in a listing under 'Voices'. Fucking 'Bones the Mastiff' gets higher billing in the casting crawl than Peter Cullen. A dog is in the main character credits block while Optimus Prime's voice actor is relegated to the second credit block. Peter Cullen plays as much a main character as any of the human character actors. He's also the narration at the beginning and end of each movie. I think it's pretty insulting that second and third tier humans character actors get their own credit screen card to themselves while the guy who plays the character that's big on every poster and piece of advertising material is bumped down to a small crawl below a damn dog.

Maybe there's some rule about where certain types of credits have to be placed and in a certain order, but Optimus Prime's credit below a dog's credit??
    If it's because they wanted to put the voice actors all together under 'Voices' so people knew what they did it could've been just as simple to put 'Optimus Prime (Voice) - Peter Cullen' in the main cast list. It's not about avoiding repetition either as there are the main human character actors getting their one screen single name credits and then they're also included in the credit crawl. So putting Peter Cullen in with them isn't out of the question. If he just had that recognition then I'd not be so steamed about him being shoved small under 'Voices' in the crawl below a dog.

I just - I really don't - bah.

I know it's been happening throughout these movies but this time seeing Cullen's credit placed below a dog's credit just irked me greatly.
    I'm sure someone will enjoy coming in here and licking up my delicious nerd rage Bay hator tears, so have at it.

20. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Totally agree with you. I would've LOVED to have had the main cast credit scrawl list them like so:

SHIA LABEOUF
    MEGAN FOX
    with
    JOHN TURTURRO
    and
    JON VOIGT

ALSO STARRING
    PETER CULLEN
    as the voice of
    OPTIMUS PRIME

and

HUGO WEAVING
    as the voice of
    MEGATRON

(and obviously then switching Megatron for Tony Todd/The Fallen in RotF and Leonard Nimoy/Sentinel Prime in DotM).

After all, as you said, the likes of Optimus/Megatron/Sentinel/etc. are just as important as the main human characters. Let's give some proper credit here!

...and then proceed to list the second unit directors, etc., and then the really tiny list of all the actors.

But, it's not that simple. The reason that Peter Cullen is relegated to "second credit block" is because he's listed under "VOICE ACTORS". They list the LIVE-ACTION ACTORS first (yes, including Bones, Egyptian Border Guard and "Soldier #2893487) and then they list the voice actors. They do that in a lot of movies. It's not a matter of placing them in terms of importance. Some movies intermingle the VAs and live-action actors together in the cast list, while others give them their own special section. They sort of feel obligated to differentiate between "Actors" and "Voice Actors". There's no real set way of doing it. In fact, my friend (who's quite knowledgeable about filmmaking) tells me that the rules and regulations are quite strict in terms of billing and credits in the credits of movies. To the point where I told him about this whole "they should've listed Peter/Hugo/Leonard in big letters"-thing and he just shook his head and said something about how proper billing in credits are f**king ******ed and red tape and stuff like that.

So I'm pretty sure that's not as simple as going up to Paramount and saying "Let's have Peter and Leonard in big letters, okay?". Which is a shame. :(