A Voice Actor Spotlight: Micheal Bell (The Voice of Prowl and Sideswipe)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screamers, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Screamers

Screamers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Voice Actor Spotlight: Micheal Bell

(I'm not sure how well these will go over here, but for those that would like to read my full spots lights, on both Voice actors and TF characters, I'd be happy to post them here. But only if fans enjoy :)  Here's a little bit of what you would see on my main blog.)

To see the full blog:

MySpace.com Blogs - Screamer MySpace Blog

I'm sure there's been many tributes before on this wonderful actor.. But for me..it had to be done again. Because there's no doubt Micheal Bell has always been one of my favorites. Mainly I say it do to his work in Transformers, but I also remember him from Voltron, G.I. Joe, the Super Friends, Plastic Man, Speed Buggy and many other toons.. as you'll soon see.

Born Michael Patrick Bell July 30th 1938

[​IMG]

July 2007 Gregg Berger and Michael Bell at Comic-Con

Out of all his projects.. I think my favorite will always be his voice over work on Transformers, Prowl being one of my favorite characters :)  Not to forget he also did some of my favorite characters in Voltron and G.I. Joe.

For those that don't know Micheal also did some voice directing, on Kidd Video and Peter Pan and the Pirates.

Micheal has such a long list though, I'm only sticking to some of my favorites.

Voice Acting:

Speed Buggy (1973) as Mark

The World's Greatest Super Friends (1979) as Gleek/Mister Mxyzptlk/Zan

Plastic Man (1979) as Dr. Astro in "Plastic Man Meets Plastic Ape"/ Gearshift Swift in "Sale of the Century"/ Jeff and Marak in "Empire of Evil"/ Plastic Man and O'Brien.

The Smurfs (1981) as Lazy/Handy/Grouchy

The Incredible Hulk (1982) as Doctor Octopus in "Tomb of the Unknown Hulk"/ Dr. Bruce Banner/ Professor Royale in "When Monsters Meet"

G.I. Joe (1983) as Blowtorch/ Clutch/ Duke/ Lift Ticket/ Major Bludd/ Scrap Iron/ Tollbooth and Xamot.

The Transformers (1984) as Bombshell/ Brainstorm/ Dr. Fujiyama in "Enter the Nightbird"/ First Aid/ Gort in "The Rebirth"/ Prowl/ Scrapper/ Sideswipe and Swoop.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe (1984) as Lance/Sven)

The Snorks (1984) as Allstar Seaworthy/Big Weed/Elder #4

The Centurions (1985) as John Thunder

Rubik, the Amazing Cube (1985) as Renaldo Rodriguez/Rudy Rodriguez

Darkwing Duck (1991) as Quackerjack

Rugrats (1991) as Boris Kerpacketer/Chaz Finster/Drew Pickles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In live action, I realized for the first time that Micheal had a part in "Lost in Space",I find that very interesting since I've always loved the classic show. Also in recent years he had parts in Star Trek and I've also noticed that Micheal's worked on many of the "The E! True Hollywood Stories"

Zorn in Star Trek: The Next Generation

Live Action:

Lost in Space (1965-1968) as Tyrano Guard, Craig Robinson

Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Encounter at Farpoint” as Bandi administrator Groppler Zorn

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes “The Homecoming” and “The Maquis” as a Bajoran.

Bell also appeared in several episodes of Dallas as Les Crowley during the 1980-81 season and in M*A*S*H episode “Souvenirs” as Willie Stratton.

He also had parts in Three's Company and played the part of Sabrina's ex-husband on Charlie's Angels.

Video Games Micheal's worked on:

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
    Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Ratchet: Deadlocked
    Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

2. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He worked on Warcraft III?

Okay, this guy has gone from being epic win to being EPIC EPIC win.

3. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    We have a lot of stuff up for him on behindthevoiceactors.com I even did a voice compare recently for him as duke

4. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

He was really slimy in that Episode of M*A*S*H.. sent kids into mine feilds to pick up brass casings and stuff.. Prowl and Duke would have kicked his butt.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, he's one of the all time greats. Prowl, Scrapper, Sideswipe, Swoop, Duke... every character he did, he did really well. Its one of those voices I can hear clearly in my head.

6. swampflight

swampflight Banned

"Your destinys are intertwined".....

I always thought the best work Mr.bell ever did was as the voice of Raziel for the Legacy of Kain-Soul Reaver series.He brought real life to the character and made a place in video game history.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow... I knew Michael Bell voiced Lance and Sven in Voltron, but... dang... he sure had quite a few roles in shows I was familiar with that I didn't realize he was a part of...

8. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Although I love his voice - he isnt as good a voice actor as some others because you can clearly tell it his him with a lot of his characters and a lot of his characters sound exactly alike - Lance, Duke, Prowl for example...

9. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

when I said that about Scott Mcneil once I got flamed like crazy..

But its ok .. you are only talking about an original series voice actor so I bet no one says anything about it..

I agree however.. you can always tell its Micheal Bell character.. the Allied infantry in Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 used to drive me nuts because of that..

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I wondered why I had TF flashbacks while watching Star Trek TNG and now I know.

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    There is a really good interview with him on the Voltron Red Lion tin, but you probably already knew that.

12. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

He gave voice to the overlord of awesomeness??? I know who I'm voting for next presidential election!

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hes also the voice from the Peoples Jewellery commercials, and was the voice of the Wonder Twin Zan on the Superfriends.

I had a chance to sit down and talk with him a couple years back. Mr. Bell is an extremely intelligent man, well spoken and well read, while at the same time hes got a twisted sense of humor and countless stories that are not fit for polite company. It was an amazing experience to get to talk with him about the stuff his work, his life, and the shenanigans along the way.

Hes also very generous to fans, great with kids, and passionate about his past work. I really got the impression from him that Transformers was a very special part of his career for him, and that he wants to remain a part of it if he can.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    He also voiced Cyclops in the pilot of the sadly uncreated X-Men cartoon.