A victim of shill bidding

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by CyberShadow, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So, I find an Energon UM on eBay, and its a cool figure so I put in a bid. In the last ten minutes, I find that I am bidding against another member. In the end, it tops out and drop out of the item. A couple of seconds before the item ends, and the lead bidder retracts his bid and I win it at £18 + £7 postage.

Looking at the sellers feedback, I see that this other bidder has also bid on several items from the same seller, but never won one, and has retracted a bid for other items from the same seller.

But, the price is OK and if the other bidder was a real person, I would have paid that price with no problems. Should I...

- just pay up and be happy that I won, even at my maximum bid
    - send a message to the seller to stop screwing around
    - report the entire event to eBay (although I cant believe that they will do anything)
    - just not pay and walk away

Opinions?
    Thanks.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I absolutely hate Shill Bidding myself, and I have suspected to be a victim of it several times. Its unfortunate that there isn't too much that ebay offers to do against this aside from a slap on the wrist.

what I would do,

1. pay for the item
    2. file the report to ebay.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The first one.

You might be right, but you will gain nothing from following any of the other three paths. If it's a price you were willing to pay, then it worked out for you in the end (thankfully).

4. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The worst thing is, I was the only bidder, so instead of a bargain for a second hand figure, I am being charged a much higher price. It was initially listed at £1 plus postage, but went up £17 because of shill bidding.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I suggested filing a report and paying at the same time. The reports to Shill bidding probably won't do much, but at least you are not faulted for anything by paying. You are still getting your item. I think maybe leaving a neutral feedback would be a good idea as well. And if possible, warn people here on his name.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmmm... Then I don't know what to tell ya. That puts a slightly different spin on things. I mean, totally does sound like a case of shill bidding to me from what you say, but even if you report it you will unlikely get anywhere.

They will see it that the other bidder acted within their rules and to prove otherwise would be based on circumstantial evidence.

7. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  8. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's happened to me a few times and by looking at the seller's history, it was clear that this was his game.

So on one item, I didn't bid until the last minute, and ended up winning at the last minute. Guess what happened? He "lost" the item and would not ship it. Then I see him relist it, so I contact him. He agrees to ship it and does so in the most hilarious way possible. It was three voyagers, and he packed them in one retail voyager box (like you'd see on the shelf) and simply put postage on it. The box barely survived shipment, there were holes in it and the plastic window came loose. The toys themselves were intact. When I contacted him, he said: What did you expect? You got it for $10!

I reported it as shenanigans on the original auction and as improper packaging/shipping. Whether ebay did anything, I have no idea.

But in the end, you did bid the amount you were willing to pay right? This stuff always comes around.

9. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

It seems like shill bidding was involved. The bidder has 100% bidding with that seller. I'd still pay, to avoid getting a strike.

I'd also file a report for this reason:
    It's possible the seller isn't smart enough to have a friend shill bid for him. The seller might be using 1 computer, and ebay will know if this is the case.

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you think about it, youre still getting the item for your highest comfortable bid. But yeah, dude is jacking the price in the hopes that you were going bid higher than his shill bidding ass. Your call on what you want to do.

11. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    This is why I think it's better to bid only when <20 seconds remain. It gives you time to bid twice, and shillers / other snipers only enough time to bid once, but definitely no time to retract. Yes I am paranoid lolz

But yeah, definitely report this.

12. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep report all the way to the top.

It's totally ebay-illegal to have 2 accounts right? So if so.... you've done some ebay justice :) 

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

It's not illegal to have 2 accounts.

It is illegal to have 2 accounts, and shill bid on the other account.

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This.

Besides, reporting doesnt take that long and people who shill bid should be reported.

15. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So, the general opinion is that I should pay the 'shilled' price as its either not worth fighting or impossible to fight against - whatever I decide to do after paying this? Basically, I got screwed and the best I can do is try to help other people avoid it?

(This week has really put me off collecting, big time. This is the second bad eBay experience this week - the other was winning a 'New' item to find it came with no box - along with a thread which really said a lot about the attitude of people on eBay and then the announcement that Hasbro UK are most likely cancelling the Generations over here... it makes me wonder if the enjoyment that I get out of all of this is really worth the hassle that seems to be on the increase.)

16. Da_Last_2_Walk

Is an unpaid strike worth this item? If not, then pay. You can always leave appropriate feedback regarding your transaction.

It won't hurt to report this to ebay, and others now know to stay away from this seller.

I've read a lot of threads recently about people bashing ebay.....yet they don't learn ebay's/paypal's policies and continue to sell on ebay?!

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, the most "harm" you can do at this point is leave him a negative feed, pay (you don't want to give him leverage. I mean, where both of you are in the "wrong". You want to do it in such a way that there is no blame that can come on you at any point of this process), and also file it with ebay. Can you tell us the name so we are aware?

edit:: is it only the bidder that can report the case? if not, I am willing to report it with you. If lots of people complain, there will be more likely that actions will be taken against him. and maybe fellow members who also feel strongly about this can complain about the case, too. (I know you can complain about auctions w/o bidding)

18. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    After the last few weeks I've had on ebay I've promised myself to NEVER under any circumstances sell there again. I'm pondering if I want to make the same decision about buying. Ebay sucks. I'd rather wait for the item I want at the right price to show up on here or wait all the way to Botcon.

19. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Have you e-mailed the seller to call him out on this? Nicely I mean...

Maybe he will work something out?

Whether you pay, get a 'settlement' or totally blow him off - I hope you report his ass. eBay scammers and manipulators rub me the wrong way.

20. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Well, you put your highest bid so you should be prepared to pay that much.