A trilogy of six: And Another thing, Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy part six

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Rotorstorm, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm shocked there hasn't been discussion of this on here.

Eoin Colfer has written a sixth book to follow of from Doulas Adams's trilogy of 5.

I was a little skeptic but decided to see what it would do. It is good to see Zaphod once again play a part in the plot and so far the book has been very enjoyable and though not written by the beloved creator of the books the characters do not act or speak in a manner they wouldn't and are completely faithful to the original books.

Just a shame Marvin hasn't appeared (Yet anyway, half way through) as the manically depressed android is very much missed.

I'd reccomend it to fans but don't expect Douglas' word play or humour to be there. the book is good but Colfer unfortunately not Adams. You may enjoy this book more it it has been a while since you read Hitchhikers and are going off memory.

2. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

I picked this up yesterday and am about 1/2 way through myself. I've enjoyed it so far, but it certainly lacks some of the wit of the previous books. Colfer does seem a little too hung up on poo, though, which is a bit distracting. The book was a good idea and a nice way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I do disagree about the fact Marvin has thus far been absent. To have him just show up again would make his death in So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish meaningless. Personally I think it's better that Marvin stay dead.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

These words...they make no sense in this order.

So you're recommending it to fans but then saying it's not like the books that made people fans?

Buh?

- Coeloptera

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno... it would seem as odd as if someone other than JK Rowling wrote an eighth Harry Potter book.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I could kind of understand it if Adams had left massive chunks of a book behind, and there was a similar author to finish it off. For example, Raymond Chandler left an unfinished Marlowe manuscript which was finished by Robert B. Parker. I can't find the join between the two. But Adams didn't leave much behind on the sixth H2G2 book, and I can't think of anyone who writes like Adams, so... no thanks. No thanks.
    *wanders off to dig out The Salmon Of Doubt*

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They publish fanfic now?

This is what happened with Dune. When Frank Herbert died he left his son Brian a box containing the outline for a final novel, along with a couple of decades' worth of notes and background information on the beginnings and end of the Dune universe. From this Brian Herbert teamed up with Kevin J Anderson to write the 'Legends of Dune' trilogy and the final two books to finish his father's saga, 'Hunters of Dune' and 'Sandworms of Dune'.

I dunno, this kinda feels like a 'Terminator 3', just tacked onto the end of a series for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I really didn't think very highly of the "other" Dune books, they lack a lot of the feel of FH's writting and there were some issue of them rewriting history from what I remember, I might dig them out and try them again some day but I really consider the orginals to be master peaces so thats a lot to live up to.

Any way a 6th hichhikers guide, not sure, the 5th one was intresting but I never quite felt that fit with the others, oddly enough thats completly based on the fact Auther didn't have a digital watch, I might give it a go but I am not going to set my hopes to high.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I've never really enjoyed the fifth book, but then neither did Adams, I leave my personal canon of the books to the first four. So sad he died before completing a sixth, it would have been nice to see him return to the Hitchhikers world because he wanted to, rather than because his publishers wanted another book.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I did like for the movie that some of the new ideas in it were apparently Adams'. Just a pity the final movie wasn't very good so the television series is still my favourite screen version of Hitchhikers.

10. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't even know about this - I don't really know what to think of this, as it seems way to strange to have a H2G2 book that isn't written by Douglas Adams...

Funny story - I came up with my own 6th H2G2 novel idea when I was a kid, which basically branched off in the other direction from 'Mostly Harmless' as it involved Fenchurch getting around the galaxy on her own, after being seperated from Arthur by that whole hyperspace/plural zone dimension thing that made her vanish in MH. She was given a replacement Arthur Dent by the travel company, a clone that was programmed to say things like 'what?', 'I don't understand' and 'where's the tea?' that she had dubbed R2D2. They would have ended up meeting Zaphod and maybe cribbing some of the elements of the radio drama that never made it into the novels like Lintilla.

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finished reading it and it was good, was nice to see Random getting some more characterisation and a lot of the ideas were good. I especially liked Zaphod in this book.

End of the day though I preferred the ending of the radio series (if you've not heard it and read the books I suggest you try and find it, happy endings and it doesn't seem or feel forced in any way and ends Mostly Harmless with an ending that feels good.) the ending in this book made sense but

I can't help but feel that Arthur should have been allowed to keep his happy ending rather than what he got. So sad for him to get it for it to be swooped out of his grasp and having absolutely no other Arthur Dent anywhere in any universe

12. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

I just bought it this afternoon... haven't started reading it yet, lol

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I listened through the classic ones and the newer followup ones back in '07, they're easily my favourite iteration of the story. :D 

14. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

This isn't the 6th book. its the first of a bad idea.