a transformers series that builds up to the great war era?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by redwolfbear, Jan 5, 2018.

1. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    you guys think we will ever see a grim gritty reasonably dark type of transformers animated series set in the pre great war era just so that it gradually builds up to the great war happening in stages but all the folks who happen to suspect what is about to happen is really happening be the ones painted up as the conspiracy nuts for the matter when their hunch and gut instinct be right on the money and everyone else in a position to attempt to prevent the whole outbreak of the matter being either payed off /killed to maintain their silence or other wise has too much of a corrupt vested business interest to be swayed into taking action against the cold war effort as it builds up over time

it shouldn't be too hard to build a web of deceit lies and government corruption that weaves a trail through a Miami viice type action hero cop setting that weaves through Twin Peaks, onward towards The X-Files, and eventually lands at the doorstep of The Sopranos and The Wire. as the conspiracy gradually builds up and becomes explosively revealed over time

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Yes this would be a great story to tell. The only problem is hopefully they don’t follow the same track as the Star Wars prequels when they try to tell the story of how everything devolved and led to the war.

Because the problem with the Star Wars prequels when they try to tell the story of how the republic fell and led to the empire was that they managed to make the whole lead up to palpatine declaring he would re-organize the republic into the empire so fast and un-interesting. We rarely ever saw palace intrigue, political debates and conflicts, or any form of protest and dissent that caused internal strife and chaos and placed the democratic institutions of the old republic at great peril.

There was no sense of a wider conflict so the lead up to palpatine’s declaration I thought was abrupt. You could not even see the Jedi council debate the creation of the republic grand army. After thousands of years without having a United republic army, I would think this would’ve caused an uproar and be a controversial move. You did not see the galactic senate raise vocal opposition to the idea which would’ve implied the seeds of the rebellion being sowed, only that they liked it because.... the dark side and it went after separatists. No scenes of public discontent and demonstrations which would’ve built up the atmosphere towards the beginning of the rebellion. Would’ve loved to see scenes where coruscant law enforcers arrest and thrown into jail senators showing opposition to palpatine or getting harassed and beaten up.

Actually I had this thought before attack of the clones. I was hoping the movie would eventually show anakin already commanding a republic fleet, go to Tatooine, and raid the planet to put a stop to slavery there and free his mother only to find she was killed. At least it would’ve built up the atmosphere of Anakin as a fearsome military figure. But nope.

Throughout the prequels, you never see Anakin build up into a great military leader or strategist that would later on become palpatine’s enforcer. Hell you never even see him as a great pilot which was implied in the original movie. I could not see how obiwan in episode 4 could wax saying Anakin was a “great friend” when Anakin was mostly his mentor. Obiwan even doubted anakin when qui-gon wanted to take him. But after that, you rarely see any situation in the prequels where they were “great friends”.

So anakin being a “good pilot” was set up in phantom menace when he destroyed the federation control ship but the bottom line was he has always been a jedi since attack of the clones but was never in the military. So the Star Wars prequels to me was a botched attempt in telling the origins of the empire. They tried but it’s a loooong story to tell and I wish lucas had made a more engaging story than the one we got.

So this is the problem I see if they ever make a Transformers movie about the war. It will literally have to go through the conquest of Cybertron by the quintessons, Cybertronians gradually adopting to evolution and becoming shape-shifting organisms, the defeat of the quintessons which forced them to leave the planet, the creation of the Cybertronian high council which effectively made Cybertron into a planetary government to better defend the planet against external threats despite Cybertronian tendency towards tribalism and factionalism, the golden age, cybertron’s age of discovery and exploration, corruption and decay setting in, the establishment of the caste system, the rise of a Spartacus-like character in Megatron who was a freedom fighter before his jealousy and greed for power consumed him, the emergence of Orion Pax, then into the Decepticon revolution which for all intents and purpose effectively triggered the civil war.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The Star Wars prequels sucked ass because they employed every cheesy cliché in the book.

To answer the question: No. I think it's near impossible we'll ever get a Transformers cartoon that tells a well written, intricate story in favor of not focusing on the fanfavs and making sure there is a battle in every episode.
    In fact it's very unlikely we'll ever get that in a comic series.
    But I sure as hell would like to see a political drama that leads up to the great war.
    Roberts and Megatron origin gave us bits and pieces, but it would be great if we got a more coherent narrative.
    And one that didn't center on Megatron and Optimus so much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    I was thinking a new Cybertronian character, a Cybertronian flier, following his life from being born into adulthood. Normal Cybertronian for all intents and purpose living his life to the fullest, kind-hearted from the moment he was born, generous, having family and friends, attended academy and later would be an engineer who worked with the likes of Boulder at one point, way before the war.

He would be an average Cybertronian joe. One of the rights of passage on Cybertron for fliers like him was to jump off of the highest structure on Cybertron, transform and fly off with the rest of the other adolescent fliers.

this Cybertronian was born during the height of the golden age and would literally see how Cybertron go into a downward spiral as it becomes consumed by corruption and overall starts to decay.

He later on witnesses Megatron. He was swayed by his ideas of freedom and restoring Cybertron and getting rid of the caste system. He’d be one of many who joined the Decepticons. On this, he would be trained as a sniper and would work under Shockwave as part of the Decepticon engineering corps that would build and maintain the Decepticon space bridges. He would be one of the Decepticons most decorated sharp shooters.

But it will set up this great ethical conflict between his good naturedness and his loyalty to the Decepticons, specially when he would be a part of a team going to Earth, then getting badly injured as human military engage them. He gets shot at and passes out on a barn, where humans would hide him and take care of him until he recovers, ending up befriending the humans and protecting them from the other Cons who wanted to kill the humans, even though at the end he realizes he’s still a Decepticon by heart.

But the war winds up. In my story he’d get to meet Boulder again on Earth, get together, and become an honorary Rescuebot. At first with great doubt and trepidation because the rest of the bots could not trust him being a Decepticon. But he does a heroic act that saves thousands of human lives and almost sacrifices his own life by doing so. And that’s how he earned the respect of the rest of the rescue bots. That’s probably how you introduce Decepticons into the Rescuebots without it having to be a Autobot-Decepticon conflict/warfare.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StellarJet

StellarJet Seeker

News Credits:
    There is a lot to cover, that's for sure.
    But well..isn't the solution *obvious*? then we need our own Trilogy of films!

No...wait...that's still not enough...a WHOLE new series would be more appropriate...:D  (and I mean a series with several seasons...)

Clearly this would be hard work because of all the literature to review, comics, books..(etc) that would be needed to make such a series truly connect with the rest of the already published TF universe...but man...it would be SOOOO worth it...

(a Tf series focused on pre-war cybertron, with no humans...a dream come true...)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Doesn't need to be a new character. Your description could easily be Thundercracker or Acid Storm.

I'd prefer to see an older, underused character than another Nickel or Riptide.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:

8. DeletedUser_119270

DeletedUser_119270 Guest

Aligned Novel
    Exodus

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Get. Out.

We've touched upon it in the comics, and they did a pretty good job. If it ain't broke...

• Like Like x 1
  10. DeletedUser_119270

DeletedUser_119270 Guest

Lol

11. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was actually playing around with this before. I would love to see a Tales of the Jedi type story, exploring the origins of Cybertron and the beginnings of Autobots and Decepticons. But I wouldn't place it before the 3rd Great War, I'd place it just after the 1st and before the 2nd. That area of fiction is completely empty, and ripe for development. It could be a story about Cybertronians discovering who they are, taking their first steps out into the stars, throwing off their slave masters only to enslave one another. You could have all new characters to become attached to, without the emotional baggage of dealing with pre-existing canon. You could hint at the origins of characters we know and love, while still crafting new and compelling stories.

Yeah, I've given this a bit of thought. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  12. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A Transformers series in the vein of the Clone Wars series would be great. I feel like that show did a decent job with action and story telling, and wasn't completely dependent on the same 3-5 characters every episode. It would frequently shift focus from the individual Jedi, to the clone troopers and even some of the bad guys and other minor characters. I would have no problem at all if Transformers went in that direction. Unfortunately, I really doubt that will happen any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I honestly rather have a series that shows the Great War from outside of Prime and Megatron's teams. Say like during the time both armies are in stasis lock on Earth, the war would still go on without them. Perhaps follow a team of Elite Guard Autobots engaging Decepticons on different worlds. Along with showing the conflict in the Decepticon ranks between those that assume Megatron is dead and are trying to takeover and those that are still loyal to him.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Now that I'd like to see.
    Way more interesting than the kind of stuff we got in the first aligned novel or anything like that.
    It's true most of the time when we are promised a story that builds up to the war what we get is more boring cult of personality nonsense about Megatron and Optimus and Starscream and Bumblebee.
    It would be far more interesting (not to mention it would actually be about the build up to the war) if such stories focuses on lesser known characters.

15. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

The problem is that all the development that turned Anakin to all those thing (not to mention his friendship with ObiWan) took place between Episode 2 and 3. We got to see a lot of it in the clone wars cartoon which is cannon to the universe still I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have supported and tried to build off a similar idea for years, mainly based around the g1 ep "war dawn"

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly we've seen enough of how the war usually starts, I have a good idea and can get the gist of it.

I'd rather just focus on the present day and the occasional flashback scene/episode.