A Transformers Series like "Gundam"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    With several Cartoon Series in its roster (two of them Computer Generated) and a new one on the way, I was wondering why they haven't made a Transformers cartoon animated in the way of Gundam. Which is not to say, to have the Transformers look like Gundams (hell no, keep it separated) but more or less animated and drawn like them as opposed to the usual cartoony animation they use. Realistically.

Any Opinions?

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

So I take it you don't watch much Gundam then?[/SARCASM]

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heh

4. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

to me zone was drawn just like gundam

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    essentially, you want sunrise to do the animation, right?

sunrise's glory days are long over. look at the gundam TV series they make now. recycled animation every chance they get, inconsistant character/mecha models, and they even recycle storyboards lately.

I dont know what that means.

6. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    No, I happen to like Gundam very much. Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz happens to be my all time favorite. 8thMS Team is second.

Thanks for being able to get my meaning, Valkysas. You make a good point and its certainly aroused my memory; I remember watching Gundam Seed back in 2003 and wondering, "What the hell happened to the animation?" It wasn't like either of the Gundam series I watched. The drawning was flat, the intergration of Cell Shaded CGI animation with 2D[?] animation was terrible and to top it all off, even the storyline and characters was even lame.

Going to YouTube and watching several Toonami Promotional Trailers for various Gundam Series, basically brought on my question. So much that idea.

[Whines]: Man.... this sucks.

Thanks for reminding me though!

7. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Did sunrise do Tekno Man??? That show was cool as $h!t!!! I'd watch one drawn by who did that (but like the other guy said, they will be TRANSFORMERS, not Tekno man with the name Optimus!)

Whoever did the WW3 (vs A.I.) short in the Animatrix would be even better!!!

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I would much, much rather keep the anime style away from Transformers for all future incarnations.

Animated, while not QUITE the style I'd want (not to say it is bad, in fact it is quite good), is a step in the right direction.

Leave Japan to do the toys...and let the states do the show.

9. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

can someone just give hasbro and mainframe a buttload of money to make another show? i'm sure mainframe has a superb 3d engine now.

edit: hmm, i didn't know rainmaker took over mainframe. there's some awesome stuff in that demo reel.

10. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

G1 gives me a Gundam vibe.

11. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    That's an excellent idea. It would be much better than the kibble we'll be receiving from Animated.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't advocate Transformers being done in a Gundam "realistic" style. Don't forget, Transformers aren't mere piloted mecha, they are characters in their own right and need to emote. In order to successfully do that, I feel that Transformers need to be drawn in a slightly cartooney style, or we might end up with the Transformers coming off as too...errr...robotic, in terms of personality. Just look at Pat Lee's overly realistic style and how terribly his Transformers emote (Though the same can be said of any of his human characters as well)

13. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I don't watch anime or any cartoon for its "realism". So no Gundam oriented Transformers show for me.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Anything is better than the style we are seeing coming from Transformers: Animated. My 6 year old cousin could draw more professionally than that. I would try a more Gundam style I guess though I still can't believe with today's technology, art, etc. we have something worse than the original series.

15. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Well.... Sunrise and their pink Gundam explosions aside,

I would like to see Transformers animated Japanese mech-style (No, I have not seen Armada, Energon or Cybertron). Not so much of the gundam style, because Japanese has much more mechs than that. But essentially, I feel that any one of those mechs beats the character design of the newest American serious by far, because the robots are still mechanical-looking, and the shape of their robotic parts still conform to the basic laws of physics.

As for emotions, if the G1 series was far too 'robotic', then a slight turn into the Evangelion style may offer a little leeway for expression (though not too much, or we'll have bio-mechanical lalas).

But no Sunrise. Please. If anything, I would have BONES (studio that did Eureka 7) do it. They're one of the few animation studios left that doesn't try to cheat on animation so blatently.

.... The Japanese side does need story tips from America though... they're intent on keeping Transformers at the 6pm slot for the younger audiences (shows for older audiences show at 7 or so...)

Also, I'm a traditional 2D person. When it comes to robot fights, I've always felt 2D sequences translated more extreme dynamics (like Gundam and Evangelion) than 3D rendered ones in low-budget productions (3D in film is obviously not). 3D for non-sentinel robots or vehicles is fine, but if you're going to have a robot character get mad, kick arse and such, I'd want it animated 2D rather than 3D despite the pains of drawing it frame-by-frame.

16. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Oh man, get with the times. The art style is great, and very professional, stop giving us rhetoric like "OMG DA SIX YER OLDZ DRU IT", we've heard that a billion times.

G1 was Japanese mech-style animation.

What? Robots can't be too emotional or they're bio-mechanical?

17. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not that much of a Gundam fan, but IMHO Masterforce was the closest to Gundam in spirit. Humans controling Mecha, a.k.a. Transectors.

18. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

G1 was old Japanese mech-style. It's outdated. I figure the Unicron triology series was of a more modern style, but I haven't seen it.

Admittedly, if robots started weeping tears, the aspect of 'robotic' kind of loses its grip on a viewer. I'm speaking on how their emotions are expressed by the animators.

19. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Why can't it be unique? That's fun too..

It doesn't need to be a physical emotional response like that.

20. Don_East

Don_East Wants TFA Seeker Toys

I once thought what an OVA/DTV Diaclone feature would be like. Diaclone TFs were piloted and not sentient machines.