A Transformers RTS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by LimeySLR, Nov 26, 2017.

1. LimeySLR

LimeySLR Sears Catalogue Enthusiast

Been mulling this over in my head for quite a while and thinking about it over and over, so now I'm quite curious as to what others think; I played Earth Wars and found myself enjoying it, but being somewhat underwhelmed. I'm not expecting greatness from a mobile game, so what I got was pretty damn good - but I always feel like a Transformers RTS would be an interesting and potentially financially successful little game if done right - it's not like Hasbro wouldn't be able to find successful examples of other RTS games.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a mix between the venerable Wargame: Red Dragon and Company of Heroes, but with some slight variations. For example, you've got the key gimmick of Transformers - transforming - to have a bit of fun with; say, you get a squadron of generic Decepticons or Autobots - sports cars and the like - and you want them to get there faster; well, you just have them transform via a HUD or some such and have them zip over there in a jiffy. Then you get to things like offensive ability; these aforementioned sports cars have no real firepower when in their main robot mode and none in their alt mode, but are quick and capable of seizing objectives and such. You get things like jets which have good offensive ability and good firepower but lack any real dexterity; then you get the tank transformers which are slow, lumbering brutes with brilliant firepower but no real speed in either form.

Hell, bring the Combiners into the mix or even the Titans through means of a tech tree or some such and you get a really interesting concept of tech progression; a race towards something like Trypticon or Metroplex, for example.

Personally, I'd love it to be some form of three-way conflict; Autobots, Decepticons, Humans - say, a generic 'MERICA mish-mash of Marines, Army, Air Force - hell, even a few puddle pirates of the US Coast Guard if you fancy. The possibilities here are quite fun; naturally, human infantry and vehicles are weaker, but more readily available and cheaper to build, with quantity having a quality all of its own. Then you get infantry being able to, on Earth maps, take cover inside buildings. Bring in smaller, Minicon-esque Decepticons and Autobots and you could do the same with Cybertronians. You end up with hordes of human infantry, APCs, tanks and other vehicles swarming an objective held by, say, a few Decepticons, digging in as they advance and flanking around them in an urban environment, plinking away and slowly, but surely, kicking the stuffing out of them.

Naturally, you could also do a generic, villainous human organisation along the lines of M.E.C.H for the Autobots to fight, but I shan't go into that.

One could have the traditional game-modes, or one could go for some new ones; for instance, a game-mode that makes use of the "disguise" portion of Transformers - each team, Autobot and Decepticon, gets four or five squads of basic infantry alongside a hero unit - think Prime and Megatron respectively - on a large map with regular human NPC patrols with the aims of wiping out the opposing team; if spotted by the human AI, regardless of side, they are engaged, so they have to remain disguised until they come into contact with one another and engage.

These are all pretty sparse, random ideas I'm just rolling off the top of my head, all part of a bigger idea that I can't quite get out on a keyboard - I'm sure you understand. Just figured I'd float these ideas about, see what people thought of it, maybe give their own suggestions. Hell, could be a fun little discussion.

2. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I think if they let the player take control of characters in the squad and it was a hack and slash button masher, much like in the style of X-Men Legends, it might be very good. You can have all of the traditional the RTS concepts, but still give the player some action to have fun. I think that would be very cool. Especially with PC or PS4 graphics.

3. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I would prefer a turn-based strategy, since I don't usually play RTS games. Something in the vein of Fire Emblem, maybe? Pick a squad of 6 and roll out.

I would still play a Transformers RTS though.

4. InvincibleIronMan

InvincibleIronMan New Member

Instagram:
    Not a bad idea! But I would much prefer a sequel to FOC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I also would much rather have a sequel to War For Cybertron and Fall Of Cybertron. Only with online gameplay mechanics of Fall of Cybertron.

6. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I'm picturing a TF game playing like Dawn of War, and unless it's SWARMING with generics, I simply can't see it working.

7. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love this idea. Have you ever played the Front Mission games? Great mech turn based strategy with lots of customization options. Would love something like that done with Transformers.

8. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu TFW2005 Supporter

No, I have not. Sounds definitely up my alley...where can I find these?

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Turn based could work, but the OP was asking about REAL TIME strategy.