A Transformers OVA

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

What would it take to get Hasbro's legal liscense/blessing to produce an Original Video Animation based on G1? How difficult do you think this would be?

And then there's the funds. How many episodes do you think would be best to start with, and how much would you say would be needed for the budget?

3rd... Would you be interested in buying a DVD OVA of The Transformers that picks up after the events of the Rebirth (which features alot of prominant pre-movie characters as well) and do you think you'd enjoy it?

Finally for the creative people here who like the thought of a Transformers OVA, if you were to make your own Transformers series, what & who would you base it around and what major things would you want to happen or the story to tell?

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Honestly I doubt Hasbro would ever allow it.

3. Jefrey8395

Jefrey8395 Mr.COG

^This

4. Rodimus

Why not? What if they were to sell toys (IE Classics/Universe) with it?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I came in here expecting a discussion about Scramble City.

6. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

They're not going to design toys around a cartoon run completely by someone else. They make cartoons based on pre-existing toy designs. Also they have been perfectly happy to run their own cartoons. I can't see why after 25 years they'd let someone buy their franchise from them and give up control.

This seems like really hard-core wishful thinking. Like when people ask what it would take to pay Hasbro to make transformer so-and-so, which they designed.

7. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I was hoping for Zone ;) 

And actually, technically, Hasbro has done 2 OAVs for Universe/Classics, they both SUCKED, but they did 'em

D/L

8. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    I can see a low budget one shot dvd pack in, but nothing full blow.

Hasbro did it twice in 2005-06 for the GI Joe line, but honestly..... I rather nothing then something done without trying 100%. You want G1 today? We have IDW, minor manga one-shots from Japan, the list goes on..... but for now, the budget for animation is better used to sell new toys.

9. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

This is fantastically interesting to me-- I've been scripting out a 3-episode Transformers: Animated fanfilm these past few weeks, and in a couple days I'm going to have my first conference with my artists to get working on the prelim design work. I'm hoping to have the plot finalized in a couple weeks, the script in a few weeks more, then move into the storyboarding and casting phase by the start of winter break.

Or at least, that's the plan. These fan film things notoriously die midway through, so I'm keeping myself reserved as to its chances. But so help me god, I'm going to try and make it happen, because I love the universe I'm working in, and I love the story I have to tell.

Will it have Hasbro sanction? Hell no. There's not a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting licensing for some dumb video you and your friends are working on-- the best any fan producer can hope for is the studio to recognize your film is just free advertising for their product and turn a blind eye, provided you don't profit on any of their copyrighted material.

Which answers your DVD question. Look, maybe you can give away some copies on DVD to your friends or at cons or something like that... but selling something that utilizes copyrighted material is a crime, and you'll get your ass sued off.

But why would you want to make a profit, anyway? If you want that, then make your own story, with your own characters. Like Robert Kirkman said, the future's in creator-owned Intellectual Property. And if you want to make a net-series about a bunch of Metamorphers who are led by Truckulon Beta and fight the evil warlord Supermatrix? Go right ahead! Sell the t-shirts with the designs and DVDs with wonderful optional commentary and liner notes that explain how this is your work of passion for Transformers.

Otherwise, just relax. Get some friends together, and some quality image, audio, and video-editing software. Have some pizza on Friday nights while you animate, and in the fall stick it on the net with a disclaimer about how this is all Hasbro's property and please support the official material. Then bask in the love and adoration of your peers.

Man, I dunno about you, but that sounds wonderful to me. Now, where did I leave that script file...

10. Rodimus

Give up control??
    A)Who says it couldn't be a partnership as far as how they look. I would also assume they'd need to see script/storyboards before approval anyhow.
    B)They've made forgettable cartoons since the era Beast Machines started. I haven't heard hardly anybody really wishing to bring back any one of the so called "Unicron trilogies". And the one series that was any good since the G1/Beast Wars continuity, had horrible looking animation where many admitted they would enjoy a better looking animation style/aesthetic. (Animated). (To it's credit, the writing and the acting were good enough to still give it some charm.)

They were completely made to be toy bonus freebies thus were on a horrorible low budget making them not even worth mentioning. I agree. If not trying 100% then they should not do it.

As for anything G1, sorry but a comic book with still drawings and little text bubbles is not the same as watching full out 30 frames per second of life like animated Transformers characters kicking the snot out of each other and hearing professional actors like Frank Welker, David Kaye, Corey Burton, or Peter Cullen have those characters insult each other in the heat of battle. (Just examples)

Hasbro has all these great characters that so many people grew up loving and still enjoy (and I'm sure today's kids would enjoy too if given the chance), yet they do nothing with them except slap their names on some other toy/character when there is no true affiliation. Why would they have such a good thing go to waste? The only thing that they've made good on such great and rich characters that they own is through previously mentioned comics and through Classics Universe. So why wouldn't they want to create something that still has very high appeal?

My thinking is, why doesn't Hasbro tap into this audience, and if not, then let someone else who is willing to put the money up to produce it and do it themselves?

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I would love to see hasbro come up with DTV's with their merchandise especially Transformers.

Just take lessons from two of the biggest guys in animation: Greg Johnson and Bruce Timm.