A Transformers magazine...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by galvatron1701, Jul 24, 2010.

?

A TF fan magazine?

1. Yes, I'd like to read it and maight even contribute.

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No, its a nice idea but not really needed.

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Hmm, I would have to see the 1st issue before I can comment.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Hi all,

A few years ago I started reading a fan made warhammer magazine called Firebase, which was available to download from a site as a PDF file. It included fan art, fan fiction, photographs and reviews. It was quite a big hit.

I wondered why no-one had done this for Transformers as I can't help but feel that our community is missing such a thing. Sure, we have the club magazine but this is quite exclusive and only available to those of us with credit cards and the patience to wait for overseas mail.

So, whats the point I'm trying to make?

I would like to put together a fan made Transformers magazine. A free magazine to download put together by the fandom for the fandom. A magazine that would include:
    Fan art
    Fan fiction
    Fiction and comic reviews
    Toy reviews
    Game reviews
    Spotlights on Transfans and their collections
    News and Rumours
    And anything else I can think of (or that may be suggested)

The real question is whether you, the fandom, would want such a thing?

The biggest argument against, that I can think, is that TFW2005 already does all the above so why do we need a magazine?

My answer would be that while TFW is fantastic, it is too big. I tend to visit TFW every day, yet I am always finding links to news and posts that I had missed just because I don't have the time to really comb through the site.

My secondary answer is that not all Transfans visit this site, there are other more regional sites. I've already been in touch with a few and they would be happy to help host a mag.

So would you support such a venture? For this to happen I would ask the fandom to contribute- art, stories etc. In particular, I would love to have articles written with a personal flare- why a certain TF is important to you and a profile of that TF etc

I would hope to put together such a magazine as best I can and to the highest possible standard. In fact, I've already started making some page mock ups!

So, yay or nay? If the feedback I get here is positive I'll start the ball rolling and explain a bit more.

Please keep any criticism civil.

Thank you for reading!

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I would like to see a magazine that I can hold in my hands.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What you seem to be describing would be a fanzine. I don't know about in the US, but we have a couple going in the UK, such as Hubris and The Cybertronian Times.

I think the rise of the internet and websites that are constantly updated have wiped out a good chunk of the old fanzine scene, but if you want to take a shot at bringing it back, then I wish you luck :) 

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'd be interested in anything TF related on paper I guess. Can never have too much information and discussion!

5. Dio Forever

Dio Forever Active Member

same here

6. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Like Sol said, good luck with it and I'd happily help out if you'd need me.

However, I'd say fanzines, in general and more-so with sci-fi franchises, are defunct due to websites such as this.

Certainly, a lot of what you've outlined is covered here, for me.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As nice an idea as it is to have something physical to hold I could see even those downloading the fanzine in the end just reading it off the screen rather then spend the ink to print it out and collate it.

Besides, there's so much going on in the fandom that by the time an issue is created it'll be out of date. Even fanfics and fan art as the authors would probably prefer to get their work up online for instant feedback.

Sure an online 'magazine' that points people to a nice spread of new stuff amongst everything else might be fun for a bit, but then sites have News threads anyway. And with a file you print out you don't get the chance to respond with what you've just seen and read. Unless there was also a thread to accompany the issue, which kinda defeats the point of taking these TF features offline.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gotta agree with site's like this unless you can get some sort of exclusive content I dont think it will ever take off

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    If one did exist I maight read it.

10. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All you need is exclusive and interesting stuff. I ain't downloading a .PDF that's basically a bunch of random internet stuff slapped together.

Want to put fanart on it? Then you need them to be exclusive. Same with fanfics, customs, reviews, everything.