A Transformer movie what if?: Brad Bird and a PG approach

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the work of director Brad Bird, whose two most well-known works are The Iron Giant (about a giant robot and his relationship with a boy) and The Incredibles.

I've yet to seen The Iron Giant, but I've heard nothing but praise from both genre fans and mainstream critics alike. I own and love The Incredibles, and it remains my favorite Pixar film.

What I've been wondering after seeing ROTF (and a lesser degree, the first TF film) is if an "Incredibles" approach to Transformers wouldn't have been truer to the spirit of the franchise and just as popular to the general audience.

Let's look at the prominent traits of The Incredibles:

*well-defined, identifiable, and lovable characters whose story drives the film

*thriling, "high-octane" action set pieces revolving around those characters, not simply showcasing SFX

*a well-written and mature storyline that features content enjoyable and stimulating for both kids and adults

*humor derived from situations, not limited simply to toilet and base sexual humor

Is it just me, or would this be the perfect Transformers movie? Imagine if the Transformers themselves would have received the same level of characterization that the Incredibles did, with human characters integral to the plot while not overpowering it?

There are a lot of ROTF apologists here, who seem to defend the film over a few small bones thrown to the G1 and hardcore Transfans. It's not a terrible movie, but it is heavily flawed, and I think a Brad Bird/Pixar approach would work better.

I think this should be the route taken by future Transformers movies. And I'd like some different designs, skewing closer to not just G1, but all of the series.

Prime

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think Brad Bird could do an excellent TF feature based on Animated.

3. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Animated Transformers;The Next Generation

Transformers + Pixar = INSTANT WIN!!!

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm all for seeing various takes on the TF mythos in movie form, so yes.

And this is coming from someone that enjoyed the live action movies.

5. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

By the way, I'd like to see Brad Bird direct a live-action TF film with these sensibilities and designs.

Prime

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    My problem with the PG-13 rating is that it seems like it would be so easy to drop down to PG without losing the core of what makes TF awesome. I guess I'm mostly bothered by the sexual references. I'm no prude, but when it comes to movies based on toy lines that I would like to take my 8 year old son to I find them a little out of place.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

8. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    Live ACTION Brad Bird TRANSFORMERS FILM NO

a pixar movie or such YES!!

dont downgrade the series to PG NO THANKS PG 13 is perfect we can at least hear some swearing etc etc PG would ruin the deaths and such create more of a problem for the action

9. Kapit

Kapit Badass?

Bird would be phenomenal.

If only!

10. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'd see it.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yeah, imagine Brad Bird doing the first movies theme as his own movie... it would be amazing.

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

no way - tfs movies is made by micheal bay only - no other dictor not touch tfs

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it was seperate from the current movie-verse? Absolutely.

14. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

If Brad Bird directed TF, the plot would make sense, the jokes would be funny, the focus would be on the right characters, and the car robots wouldn't be urinating and defecating on each other!

I CAN'T ENJOY A MOVIE LIKE THAT!!

Transformers has to be a clusterfuck of mindless jabbering, one-dimensional characters, infantile humor grounded in harmful stereotypes, sex jokes and bodily functions and, lest we forget, in-your-face metallic testicles. If you take that away, the series might actually be watchable, and I'm sorry, but I can't support something like that. It would be like taking fifteen foot tall spoilers off of a car. Sure, the car might actually function better without them, but DANG DAWG, THEM BE SOME NICE SPOILERS!

Screw social responsibility; that's for wimps! I want my five year old to see someone's sweaty extremities and I want it NOW!

15. Bulkhide

Bulkhide Bulkhead + Ironhide

I would love to see Brad Bird and Pixar work on a new TF movie. I would love to see what the people at Pixar could do with TFs. I think it would be a fantastic alternative for those that hate the Bayverse. Who knows, we might get an Alternators-ish style design used for the Transformers. I know many would appreciate that. Frankly I'd like to see that too (even though I do love the robot designs in Bayformers).

16. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

Even as a fan of both Bay Films, I still say, "Hell yes."

Even without the Pixar approach, it would be nice to have another PG rated one that the kids could watch. I'm really torn on that. I wonder which is what is keeping me from letting my kids watch ROTF. Is it the cussing/immaturity or the over-the-top robot violence?

17. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

While Iron Giant was great, I still feel the Incredibles was the weakest of the Pixar movies and I actually had an issue with the corpse scene and the 'killing' of superheroes. I felt it was a little dark and over the heads of the intended audience. It is the only Pixar movie I would screen from kids at this time.

But that being said, I think he could direct a PG TF movie easily and it would be pretty good. I think TFs could easily be a PG property but in turn it will lose a helluva lot of audience. I am not sure there would be room for a wide theater release of such a movie.

18. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

Err, you're joking, right?:sly2: 

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Yes. His sarcasm was turned to 11 on the dial. Wow....

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've seen The Incredibles and enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't mind Brad Bird doing his own take on the Transformers franchise. I'm sure he would try to keep it faithful and do his best to please the fans.