A toy haul! Now with KO G1 Mirage (impressions inside)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gigatron_2005, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So, I went down to the collectibles market today looking for some Star Wars and Transformers. Found some of what I wanted. Spent a little over 90 and ended up with a KO G1 Mirage, and Star Wars 30th Concept Snowtrooper, Darktrooper and a R4-I9. First a question: Did I spend too much? If so, what would have been a better price for all that I got? I plan to go to the same market again sometime soon, maybe I should be a little more aggressive with haggling?

(note: its the Darktrooper and Concept Snowtrooper that set me back a bit)

[​IMG]

Anyway, about the KO G1 Mirage. I must say, as soon as I had the box in my hand, I was not too impressed. Felt really flimsy, and was not constructed as my authentic G1 boxes were, also made a rattling sound (Im not sure if G1 toys back in the day made that noise). But, the toy felt nice and heavy so I didn't complain or anything. After I leave the market, I open the toy up, and Ive got all 3 missiles, the gun, the launcher, sticker sheet and instruction booklet. All of these look nice and authentic. I try out the launcher, and it worked about as well as old G1 launchers do (just kinda spit it out) as opposed to the Takara reissues which actually fire fairly far.

All looks alright, so I open the actual toy on the card, and take it out. Here lies the only problem I really have with this KO over quality control. The chrome parts had fingerprints and stuff on it, and there was some glue type gunk on one of the arms. Other than that, the KO seems fantastic. Plastic quality seems fairly comparable to some of the authentic G1 toys I have and paint apps seem fairly solid. Overall, I think the work on the chrome is better than some of the official reissues I have gotten in the past. For anyone thinking about grabbing this Mirage KO, I would say go for it. Has/Tak are sitting on their hands with this toy, and it comes in a US G1 looking box with the color instruction booklet which is a touch I really like. That said, I dont think anyone will mistake this for an authentic G1 if they take a good look at the package. As I said the packaging is flimsy and falls apart unlike the real deal, so if somebody is trying to scam you, it might be easy to find out if they do the transaction in person.

[​IMG]

All in all, I am very impressed with this KO. If the quality remains consent I will definitely be getting the KO Sunstreaker when that makes its way out after just a little bit of haggling. :D 

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Great haul. Congrats! :thumb 

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say you spent a little much, but that's only cause i found the Concept snowtrooper and Darktrooper at walmart for about 6 each, I have no idea how much they are in the after market, but they aren't too much on evil bay are they?

But man that mirage looks gooood. I'd love to be able to pick one up at a store/market, but unfortunately nothing like that ever appears around hear.

Good haul

4. Gigatron_2005

Thanks all!

Also, a question for those who might also have this KO:

Should I apply the stickers that came with the KO? They seem like they should apply fine and all, but is the glue on them really weak or something? Am I better off going the repolables route with this? or better or not applying any stickers at all?

Well, normaly I refuse to cave to scalper/after market prices, but in this case I kinda have to. Finding ANY HTF Star Wars figure is damn near impossible in my area. Even after a fresh restock you cant really find anything. I think the employees are just buying them at all my local stores. :(  But I paid $12 for each, so it barely beats evilbay prices if you include shipping. Nice thing is that I basically got the astromech droid free with my Mirage.

If you want, PM me and I can keep my eye out for one next time I go. I cant guarantee anything though seeing how this was the only one I found in the whole place, but if I find one I might be able to haggle the guy down to a nice low price.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Get the repro stickers from Delta for Mirage. They're not expensive and we all know you can't go wrong with them.

6. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah $12 each isn't that bad at all. Shipping's a bitch and would most likely be something like $9 each by it's self.

I'd appreciate that, but I have zero dollars in my paypal. Actually i have -890 due to a chargeback that i'm fighting, but if i ever have anything to trade that you'd be interested in let me know :D 

Never did see an R4 here, it's vader's astromech right?

7. Gigatron_2005

Ok, will do.

And not Vader's (or at least it didnt say on the back of the package). Its supposed to be running around on the first Death Star though.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I would say you overpaid ONLY of you have tremendous luck.
    But since it's hard as hell to find a Darktrooper or especially a Concept Snow Trooper anywhere, you did pretty good. Having that Mirage just makes it all worth it, he looks sweet

I luckily found some Darktroopers, but never seen any concept Snowtroopers anywhere. May have to overpay thru ebay

9. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Does anyone have any reports of QC issues on the clear or red variants?

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Where did you get them? I'll put it on my list of places to check next time I go back home.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The stickers that come with it are perfect and stick fine. The box on mine is nice and sturdy, the one you bought maybe the seller abused it. Also I could of got you those SW figures for retail price.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I have clear and it's fine. Tight in the arms, sort of dirty stickers that were attached (the skinny long white and red) and didn't come with stickers or instructions but other than that pretty impressive and comparable.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd get Mirage, I just don't like the price he goes for.

14. Gigatron_2005

Frank and Sons. I think I might have seen you mention them before. There were fewer Transformers than last time I went, but still most likely worth a quick stop by. There are even a few vintage G1s to be found there. Only one note, the guy with the huge Alt/Binaltech stock charges outrageous prices that both makes me mad and sad at the same time. :( 

Ah. Maybe I will try out those stickers then. Also, I think it had more to do more with the glue used to hold the box together, as its coming apart on the flap. There were only 2 thin lines of glue used, and while I've never reconstructed a G1 box, I would bet that the glue used on them is most likely spread out more over the area of the flap. But you're probably right, I would wager it was dropped a few times or something. Other than that the box looks fantastic. And hey what other SW figs can you find where you are? :p 

And yeah, as I said SW hunting (and toy hunting in general) seems REALLY bad in my area. The best luck I ever had was in one day after the last restock before Xmas rush started. That day I snagged a Clone Commander, Animated Boba Fett, UGH Mace Windu, the 08 CC movie Bumblebee, and at one other store I found a UGH Concept Stormtrooper. Sadly, even after a restock I've not found a retail haul like that since. I'm still amazed to this day that I found that gold coin Concept Stormtrooper :D 

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Mirage is badass.

16. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Nice haul there, man. I got the clear and red Mirage, which are both great. And Darktrooper, well, you're awesome for getting him. I work at TRU as a stocker, and have stocked plenty of Star Wars figures, and I've NEVER seen one of these. Are they randomly inserted in cases, or what?