A Thread Posted by me thats actually relevant!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Salazaar, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Salazaar

Salazaar Banned

Before 1999, I did not like Transformers. When I was younger, my favorite toy was (unbeknownst to me) a Gundam. I decided to make him a cool name. Next to me was a Power Rangers Megazord, and a VHS for the movie "Tron." I named my toy Megatron. Irony. A commercial for Beast Wars aired on tv, and the announcer said, "Will Megatron succede at his evil..?" I cut the announcer off and said, "Hey, he stole my toy!!!"

What was your first experience with Transformers?

P.S.
    I think i picked the wrong topic for this post :( 

2. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Dude this has nothing to do with the transformers movie.........

3. Salazaar

Salazaar Banned

did u see my p.s. ????

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And how, exactly is your post relevant again?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Mistakes like that happen, my first Transformers experience was when watching BW at a beach house, then I was exposed to the 1986 movie. When Prime die I screaming: "NOOOOO!!! He can't die! What is wrong with you!?!" Then I was sad because I loved robots so much.

Freaky story when you ponder it actually.

6. Salazaar

Salazaar Banned

this post has nothing to fo with fuzzzzzzzzzzz aka :spam 

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    my first TF exposure when when I saw what seemed like an entire wall of the toys at a department store in 1984.

8. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

That must have been a pretty thick rock you were living under.

Megatron's not as much of a pop icon as Prime, but he's pretty frakkin famous.

9. Salazaar

Salazaar Banned

i was LITTLE

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I saw an Optimus Prime at the store when I was 9 and wanted it because it was a semi-truck that turned into a robot.

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

First exposure was when I received Ironhide for my 8th birthday in August 1984. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the rest of the TFs from other kids at school and the advent of the G1 cartoon.

12. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

When i set my VCR to record Digimon and started catching RiD on it. I think i saw part of beast machines that way too.

13. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I love threads like this. It's like the geek version of a good high story. :rock 

My first exposure was a three page article in Marvel Age magazine for the (then) impending mini-series. It looked ok, but it wasn't until I saw the TV ad for the comic that I was really hooked. I found issue #1 later that month and I was in for life. I bought every issue new (all but #4 which I never found for another year), and was a huge fan of the comics up till the end. I was even lucky enough to find the Marvel UK Collected Comics editions starting with the Man of Iron. I have no idea why my LCS ordered these, but I ate them up and eventually they were getting in the weeklies too. In time for Target 2006 no less. Not bad for an Ohio boy.

I finally found the toys a few months after the comics started and immediately grabbed Bumblebee. He & Prime have been my favorites since day one. I grabbed whichever ones I could find, but mostly I wanted the Autobot cars. They're still my favorites to this day, and I hope that HasTom will eventually complete the reissues of the cars, so i can have a nice minty-fresh set of them for my bookshelves. But I digress...

We got the cartoon later on that year in '84, just as school was starting. It only aired weekly it's first year and channel 6 in Columbus only ran it on Sundays, so I never got to see it much. Channel 6 had a crappy signal that barely reached us where we lived (out past Zanesville) and I was usually in church when it was on. I felt bad praying for a heavy enough snowstorm to keep us from church just so that I could watch a cartoon, but I figure that God would understand I was just rebelling against the boring ass preacher and not him. :p 

The next year it moved to daily syndication on channel 28. the signal was better that ch 6, but I was doing stuff after school (basketball, detention, etc.) and still never got to watch it until that next summer just before the original movie came out. Amazing Heroes used to publish this huge annual preview of every major comic coming out for the coming year. Among them was the mention of the movie. It was early 1986 and that was the first I had ever heard of a TF movie, back in those oh-so-innocent days before the internet with it's instant information.

I still go back and reread those comics and if I'm in just the right frame of mind, I would swear that I had gone back twenty years and had just picked up that issue at the local drug store. Magical times. Magical.

14. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

I was into Gobots (Machine Men) first. When Transformers first appeared in 1984 I though they were just a Machine Men rip off and I ignored them. I got a TF toy as a present a little later and then realised they were actually pretty cool. :) 

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I caught a 10 minute segment of MTMTE on the bozo show. We got to watch Bozo in the mornings in Kindergarden. Every kid in the class fell in love with Transformers and I was excited to hear that there would be an every evening show to watch.

16. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I received Topspin, the jumpstarter, without even knowing what Transformers were. He was awesome because my parents had a huge (at the time) linoleum kitchen floor, so I used to send that poor bastard rocketing across the floor. I thought, even back then, that it was slick that the little tab on on his head could turn to balance him better.

Later on I got my first "real" Transformer for being good while my mom was shopping in a Zair's department store - Starscream. Although I still didn't know what transformers were back then, I thought he was cool because he transformed and used him as a Tranzor Z figure. He was colored right and his blue fists even came off just like Tranzor Z's!

I later learned about the Transformers show just after my family moved to Texas in late '84, and my first Transformer after I knew what they were was Bumblebee. But due to family finances, I never got anymore of the '84 line except for the minibots, despite loving the show to death. I think that in part spurred my collecting bug later in life.

17. Laquah

Laquah Wanna be a Canadian Idiot TFW2005 Supporter

Mirage and Dirge.
    They looked cool and I wanted them. I was shopping with Gramms so of course the answer was yes.
    Started watching the show a couple weeks later.

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I got my first transformer when I was 5. gen 1 Jetfire and I had never seen anything like it before.

I think my second was either Wheeljack or Soundwave.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    My first TF was opening up a present from granny on Christmas morning, megatron! yeah I loved his rifle mode :lol 

20. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was a wee kid and went to my nanny's house for the day.. I had seen her grandchild's megatron that was brand new, along with his new optimus prime. I remember picking them up and playing with them, and I moved the barrel of Megatron when he was in robot mode, and it went out of place. Me being very young at the time, thought I broke it.

I got my first one of my own a year later, and that was Scrapper. :)