A thread in which Secretcode eats crow. (Tablet help)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Secretcode, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    After about a year of vehemently being against the idea of tablet computers, I'm finally caving. I have a desktop at home, yet I want to have a way of having music/media/games/web browsing on the go, namely to school and conventions yet frankly I'm tired of buying Laptops so I'm finally going to suck it up and shop around for a tablet.

There are specific things I want in this tablet purchase:
    • At least 8GB of on-board memory, or 4GB with expansion via SD Cards and whatnot.
    • MP3, MP4, AVI support.
    • PDF Compatibility. Guess why.
    • WiFi
    • Battery life of at least 6 hours.
    • Screen-size at least 7".
    • Flash support, or a suitable work-around such as with the iPad. Mainly for YouTube support.

Now, there are a few specific tablets I'm considering. Basically I need to know which one is king, and if there are any glaring issues with the ones I highlighted.

Also, please no brand-loyalty, fanboy-driven rants. I want unbiased help on this.

2. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I think it's a choice between the Galaxy and the ipad. The Galaxy is much more customizable and is an excellent media player but the ipad has a lot more apps and games to buy for from the appstore.
    Anyways I'm not really the most reliable source on this and have yet to buy a tablet.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have an iPad and I absolutely love it. It was my first Apple product so I am definitely not a fanboy. If it did Flash, it would be the perfect tablet.

4. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    There are enough work arounds for the Flash support though, right?

Alternatively, stuff like YouTube, Netflix Streaming, uStream, Hulu and Cover It Live have individual apps, do they not?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't stand Apple. That said, I love my iPad. I bought a Sony Android, and I ended up returning it. I loved how open-ended it was, but that open-endedness comes with a price. Very glitchy, and always felt like it was trying too hard.

Now the iPad isn't flawless, and apps do crash on it, but it just feels like a solid piece of hardware. Still liked the Sony, but I ended up choosing to keep the iPad.

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    A few questions about tablets.

I have been looking for a tablet that fits my needs the best, and I think I've found the one that I like best.

Walmart.com: Acer Iconia Tab with Wi-Fi 7" Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) Operating System: Computers

My main question is, do I have to sync this with a computer to use this? I'm not tech-smart at all. The only mobile device I have is my Zune hd, which, of course needs a computer to get most media from the Zune Marketplace. So, do I need to sync a tablet with a computer to get most (or anything) out of a tablet?

I would mostly be using this for web browsing at home and on the go, the majority of it on youtube and hulu to watch videos. Of course, I'd put my music on it as well, and get some apps, but I plan on using this mostly as a web browser. So, are there any other tablets that suit my needs better than this one? It would also need good wifi reception, as my room only gets two bars on our laptop, and my zune usually needs to reconnect to the router.

Thanks.

(P.S. Does the Android Marketplace get Angry Birds?)

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube and Netflix for sure. I've never used the other services you mentioned.

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I have a Motorola Xoom and absolutely love it. That said, I'd recommend the Asus Transformer pad, which isn't in your list. Why? Simply because it comes with a keyboard/case that transforms the tablet in a pseudo laptop, hence the name.

Current Android tablets mostly share the same hardware (Nvidia Tegra dual core processor) and software (Android Honeycomb OS). What will vary from one brand to another are the accessories and brand-specific apps.

I don't recommend the Xoom for one specific thing - the accessories are IMO overpriced and lack features that other brands offer. Case in point, my Xoom's docking station can charge the tablet and has audio out jack. No USB or HDMI output connectors whatsoever. That in my book is a huge fail on Motorola's part.

Besides that, I love the darn thing and use it daily.

9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    No need to sync your tablet to a PC to use it. And yes, every flavor of Angry Bird is available on the Android Market!

Merging this thread with the other ongoing tablet thread.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

iPad :bowdown: 

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I too would also recommend the Transformer. It offers a lot of features that others don't. I can see people not recommending Xoom, but rumors have it Xoom 2 is coming out soon, so may wanna wait for that. Other recommendation is the Galaxy tab. Great little tablet.

While I love the hardware on all apple products, I dislike their OS, whether it's on their computers or mobile devices. But that's just me.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, the iPad is a market leader for a reason. Its interface is easy to use if you're new, and if you're already used to it you could use it blindfolded. App and Music support is beyond compare at this point from what I've seen.

Also a personal thing, I tried reading a digital comic on a Xoom and the 16:10 aspect ratio made it very uncomfortable to read, but the iPad's 4:3 aspect ratio made reading every page bar the double spreads an utter joy.

If you need one tomorrow, an iPad is probably the best way to go, but if you can hold out, wait and see what the Android 3.2 (Icecream Sandwich) update does for the Xoom or the Xoom 2 itself. Personally I'm waiting on a Windows 7 Mobile tablet.

13. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Alrighty, I've narrowed my choices down.

From here on out, the only features I'm concerned about are in terms of apps and outright functionality. I am not too concerned over the iPad's app selection (as I can freely browse that over on Apple site and via iTunes) but I'm more curious regarding the selection and overall quality of the apps available on the Samsung Galaxy.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
  15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You should have gotten in on the HP Touchpad fire sale. It's an awesome tablet at an awesome price, and it will have android soon.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011