A Thoughtful First Post...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grand_Maximus, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Grand_Maximus

Grand_Maximus Banned

Greetings TFW'ers! I am a neo to this board but NOT to TF's and the fandom. Being that this is my first post, I wanted it to be something meaningful so I want to traverse the minds of my fellow collectors...

I don't want to start a debate over which line is best and start a "G1 or nothing" or "Classics are what G1 should have been" or "The movie figures are so much better" argument. Instead, I want to ask:

What do you love most about Transformers?

For me, Transformers have been everything from a bonding media for my siblings and cousins and me (when we were children) to an "international ice breaker" as I have connected with fans from all parts of the globe.

Transformers have also giving me a mental stimulus, if you will. I am an engineer by profession and the great strides that have been made in their engineering is a great joy. I knew it would happen but I mean come on...back in the day we had these wonderful brick figures that captured our souls despite their simple transformations and lack of articulation - and for the record G1 figures still captivate me. Today, we have marvels of engineering like the Alternity line or ROTF Leader Prime and wonderous third party offerings like FansProject's Warbot Defender. Transformers have come along way since G1 and even further if you go back to the very first transforming robots that lead to Transformers - OH MAN! IT'S BEEN A GREAT RIDE, HASN'T IT!? AND JUST TO THINK, IT'S STILL GOING!

But, enough from me...let me hear from you...again I inquire:

What do you love most about Transformers?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the engineering is #1 with me, then the characters and stories, i was blown away by masterpiece megatron when i first opened him up and transofrmed him, amazing figure, the amount of design and engineering marvels in that figure alone is incredible to make it look like it mass shifts.

btw, welcome to the boards, nice to see a new face that is more polite and thoughtful

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I'm gonna sound really dumb saying this, but the fact that I love most about them is...

that they transform. (insert big DUH here)

Yeah, pretty much everything else (story, toy engineering, lovable characters, etc) only makes them more awesome, but being transforming toys has always been my favorite thing about the TF universe.

4. VSpec

VSpec TF Forza Painter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the engineering of them fascinates me and keeps me addicted. it also helps that i loved them as a kid.

5. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I've always been a huge robot & dinosaurs fan. so transformers is a perfect fit for me. as the years went on & I matured I began to admire the toy engineering & sculpts plus hard work that goes into making a transformers toy.

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I tend to see Transformers as art pieces.
    I love how the different designs blend together in a mosaic of colors on a shelf.
    The nostalgia and history behind my vintage pieces is also big for me.
    I keep day-dreaming about the museum feel I want to give my future G1-G2 room... :eek: 

Btw, welcome to the boards Grand_Maximus :) 

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to say the engineering as well but it is a recent realization for me. Take Movie Starscream as an example. Both movie lines combined there are 7 different versions that transform from an f22 to robot (if you count the gravity bots), and the transformations are all unique to each other. It just boggles my mind.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Transformation play pattern is what I like ; that is why I also collected other lines that Transform from the past like Rocklords, M.A.S.K. & Starcom.

Not at all bothered by the Media unless it's made by Mainframe. & I don't find IDW comics to my tastes at all - which is odd as I liked the Dreamwave ones quite a lot especially the Energon Comic. Marvel Stuff is OK epsecially the UK stuff. But it's fun when they reference it in toy terms as with Megabolt and Darkmount, Sunstorm, & Jhiaxus. (Xaron & Straxus). I hope they make Rack & Ruin & Impactor sometime too.

No a hater of the movies I buy what I like and if it's a movie toy that's fine - there are some excellent "Movie" toys both of character on screen & off. 2007 Wreckage is a favorite of mine for example.

I'm not a G1 fetishist but appreciate the odd homage but i'd be just as happy with a few Beast Machines homages.

Transformers were not the 1st Transformational toys I had as I suppose some Micronauts have similar ideas and I actually collected Gobots/Robo-Machines before Transformers came out anyway. and in the 80's I was just as happy with Rock Lords Nugget or my MOTU Meteor Orbs or the little eggs that turn into Dracula or Jason or a Werewolf etc..

I think I became a fan in play terms of Transformer the more when Headmasters came out as I found they suit my play pattern better no floppyness, and fun little accessories is the sort of thing I like.

So that is why I also like the Unicron Trilogy so much as the toys have that almost Microman like interaction and intercompatibility supplied by a set of backwards intercompatible line wide gimics. Unlike a movie toy which is a piece unto it's self.

I can take an Armada Autobot cover it in Energon Weapons and then stick a Powercore Combiner's Minicon on it despite that they were made many years apart I like that functionality.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think it's the backstory and the toys. The backstory helps add to the toys while the toys help make the backstory possible.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Nostalgia of child-hood memories.
    Lamborghini's that turn into awesome looking robots.
    Advances in articulation and details.
    Seeing your collection grow from 5-100 in less than a year. :) 
    80's cartoon that we love so much, yet we make so much fun of it's errors.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

First i want to say WELCOME TO TFW! But in all honesty i gotta say that it is the engineering would be really what i love most n a way because the engineering and design is what makes these toys able to transform form one toy, the alt mode, to another the robot mode. I love transforming them i think its so much fun to see the robot mode come out of the alt mode. This is all i can think of for now since i just woke up but really Tranformers whats not to love?

12. Grand_Maximus

Grand_Maximus Banned

:lolol 

Ahh...many thanks brr-icy, G1-Junkie, havanowoncheese and all for the welcome!

All the replies have been great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the engineering! :lol 

Transformers are wonderful in all ways!

I also collect what I like and I don't alienate lines "just cause". Even if it's just one piece or two from a line that intrigues, I'll grab it. It amazes me how the figures are so different yet so alike as you pass through the lines from G1 to the HFTD figures.

Keep the responses coming!

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The characterization and back story. I for one am a fan of simple well thought out transformations, not rubiks formers as i call figures who posses transformations that are overly complicated or otherwise such a pain you want to throw the figure (ROTF leader Prime i am looking at you) at the nearest wall.

Tis a wondrous thing I also cherish my childhood memories of them.

Also welcome to TFW have a good time and don't feed the trolls :lol 

14. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im an english and theatre student and i blame transformers for this for two reasons
    1. The ability to become something else and transform has always facinated me with transformers and in my own life
    2. The vast mythos behind transformers fiction has always sparked my imagination and love for reading and discovering new things

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The toys for sure. I love the progression of engineering. And they're just fun. Personally I've found the cartoons (save for Beast Wars and Beast Machines) awful, so the characterizations don't mean anything to me. I still love the G1 characters I grew up with but I can't watch the cartoon anymore. It's just flat out painful to sit through. The Movies are ok for what they are. I just go to watch the explosions and awesome CGI.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    at its core, it's the engineering.
    but really, when G1 came out, i was mesmerized by the deception.
    like i could leave my Thundercracker on my desk, and someone would think it was a die cast toy or on the rare occasion, a model.
    Same with the Autobot cars.

even something like the Deluxe Insecticons or Shockwave, people wouldn't assume it was anything more than what it was.
    when G1 was winding down, moving into G2, it lost some of that because there was enough kibble on the toys to destroy the illusion. can't be helped with something like Sixshot.

but TFs have rebounded with RiD, Alts/BTs, and now the Classics-Generations lines.
    Terradive, Mindwipe, RotF Ldr Prime...
    the magic/deception is back (for me anyway.)

It's a mixed bag, i suppose, but TFs have been around so long and so many people know about them that they can't look at a toy car or jet anymore without wondering if it is a Transformer.
    That's what i love about Transformers.

17. Grand_Maximus

Grand_Maximus Banned

NICE! I've actually never really singled that out before but it's so true...

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

The toys. They're just great. Creative, fun to play with, and with a lot of hard work and great design put into them. It's just something you have to experience to appreciate.

19. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Why I love transformers?

I feel like I should be writing an essay for school. :lol 

But seriously, I love transformers for the toys first and foremost. Like everyone else the engineering that is put into the figures is simply amazing. Being a child of the 80's myself I have an incredibly soft spot for G1. So much so that my collections focus is G1. 1/3 of my collection is G1 figures, 1/3 of it Classics and the other 1/3 a mixed bag of Vintage BW Transmetals & Fuzors, Machine Wars, RID, Energon, Cybertron and Masterpiece figures. I'd say that about 90% of my collection is G1 characters.

Second, is the mythos behind it. I'm not the biggest fan of the cartoons from RID to Cybertron. But I like the G1 cartoon (US and the later Japanese series), Beast Wars & Beast Machine cartoons and Animated. The mythos and stories are very entertaining to me.

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like others have said, the engineering. The ability to take a big hunk of plastic and through clicking and rotating, get a surprisingly nice vehicle mode.