A thought on the first film I had

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rob_charb, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I was kind of bored during my Chinese class at university this morning and got to thinking about something from the first movie.

Sector 7 was using liquid nitrogen to keep Megatron in suspended animation right? Now, it's been many a moon since I took any Science/Chemistry class, but I seem to recall that liquid nitrogen freezes anything it comes into contact with solid and makes it extremely brittle. If that's right, shouldn't Megatron have quite literally shattered under his own weight while standing there being doused in a never ending stream of liquid Nitrogen?

And why wouldn't the S7 guys just have started smashing him up when they found they were "losing containment"?

I may be way off on the liquid nitrogen thing, and if so, well, feel free to slap me with a dead fish. But I remembered it correctly, that seems like a huge oversight on the film writers part...but then, it is Transformers, that's nothing really new to the franchise :D 

2. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

Quite simply: Alien metal has unknown and exploitable properties. :lol 

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    But if Cybertronians are made of something different than what we have on Earth, there is no way to tell what the effect would be.

Also, years ago, I had a wart removed by freezing it and cutting it off. The wart at no point was able to get so frozen that it would have shattered.

4. rob_charb

Okay, yeah, there's the whole "it's alien metal" angle, but that just seems like lazy scripting to me. If they really couldn't come up with a better idea than "itz frum da outerz spayz!!!1!11", I think they should have come with a better idea. That's just my opinion though. Forgive me, I just finished re-reading Eragon and Eldest, which, if you've read, will help you realize why I think lazy writing/scripting is an unforgiveable way out of actually thinking, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, GogDog, I don't think your mole was exposed to massive quantities of liquid nitrogen over a very long, sustained period of time spanning several decades, was it? If it was, ouch, you have my sympathies man.

Is there someone on the boards who has experience actually using liquid nitrogen? If so, does it actually freeze objects to the point of becoming brittle?

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    my answer?

:bay 

6. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    This. :lol 

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    liquid nitrogen doesnt make anything it comes in contact with "extremely brittle". plastic, metal, and various other substances come into contact with it and survive just fine. some metal shrinks though. food is routinely frozen for transport using it. and it doesnt shatter. computers can be cooled with liquid nitrogen (piped through aluminum and copper components that do not shatter) for short overclocking tests. why short? not because of fear of shattering, but because the dramatic temperature change possibly killing the processor, and the speed of evaporation, which would require it to be constantly refilled.

you're getting movie effects of liquid nitrogen confused with real world effects of liquid nitrogen.

8. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Don't fall into the trap to rationalize a fantasy movie. Its not worth it, the defenders of the faith play it both ways. If some real world physical laws are broken, the defenders will fall back on the tried and true argument that the TFs are aliens so we have no idea what they are made of, what their technologies are, etc. Then, if someone were to ask for something out of this world like mass shifting, the defenders will go to the opposite argument of it not being realistic enough and start applying physica then. They play it both ways. No point in arguing with them. Just smile and nod and hope that there are more intelligent people who realize their logical hypocrisy.

10. ElBlancoDiablo

ElBlancoDiablo Half Man, Half Legend

you sir, i like. thats pretty much the sitch here it seems. either way, films like this shouldnt be broken down too far when it comes to the 'creativity' of the story. if anything in this film should be questioned its the overall tone they set it off with in this film. like its been said by me and many others before, not the feel i had hoped for when going to the theatre. what counts for me in the end now is the fact about giant fighting robots film, not what the title insists it is.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah, well the movie was full of lazy writing.

12. Jetstreamx

Jetstreamx Lord Jettington

Just imagine, midget Megatron! Now that would have been an interesting spectacle!

13. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

man no offense or anything but its a movie... just think of all the movies, where actual scientific fact has been pushed aside

14. rob_charb

Thank you. That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. As I said, it's been a very, very long time (well over a decade actually) since I took any science classes and wasn't sure if I was remembering the effects of liquid nitrogen correctly or not. Thanks for providing the actual facts for me and clearing it up.

As I said, I was quite bored in Chinese class, was working on the storyline for a Transformer webcomic I'm planning, and that thought just occured to me.

I wasn't actually trying to rationalize a fantasy movie, it was just a random thought that occured to me. I was actually more interested in knowing whether or not I was mistaken about the effects of liquid nitrogen.

And yes, Midget Megatron would have made the movie about a million times better :D 

15. Skepticon

Skepticon Banned

Who says it was liquid nitrogen? In the movie comics or something? You could think its liquid nitrogen, but there are some other elements from the periodic table with freezing properties, such as Freon. There are several forms of attaining sub-zero freezing independently of an element, too, such as the absolute zero in outer space, resulting simply from the space vacuum and dispersion of star radiations, not from nitrogen or other element action.

And even if in the comics its specified its nitrogen, it is not in the movie, so Megatron wouldnt necessarily collapse under his own weight.

Good thing i had a grade iin chemistry huh? xD

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Wait, why would you RE-read that plagiarist tripe?

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Not quite. Radiation is a very, very poor method of losing heat. One of the biggest problems NASA has with manned spacecraft is the fact that cooling them is so very difficult. They don't lose waste heat very rapidly at all.

That fact actually does make Megatron's freezing up more plausible. If he were flying in space, his engines and systems likely produce heat. His systems would be working to get rid of heat. Then he plunges down into the Earth's atmosphere, where the pressure (not friction alone) causes even more heat.

Then the idiot lands on an icepack, very hot and still venting heat like crazy. He melts the ice, then vents himself into stasis lock.

As for liquid nitrogen, not all materials become brittle when make cold, as was previously stated.

- Coeloptera

18. Skepticon

Skepticon Banned

Thats what i meant...the heat of stars dissipates in the vacuum of space.

19. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

This does make me wonder about Megatron and Starscream being on a moon orbiting Saturn though. Those moons get pretty cold don't they? I mean don't they have lakes of liquid nitrogen on them?

So how come Megatron can get taken down by some cold water at the polar ice cap but he's got no problem hanging out on a moon?

20. Skepticon

Skepticon Banned

Supposedy temperature on Earth would be even lower. Megatron landed 10,000 bC...so in the middle of the ice age...