A thought on ROTF Devastator/Constructicons

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

So I was looking at a holiday add for the ROTF Devastator today and a thought occurred to me. We saw the individual Constructicons transform and fight the Autobots. At the same time we see Devastator form. It was never explained how some of them (Mixmaster, Long Haul, and Rampage) could be individually fighting while they were also merged into Devastator. So then I thought, what a minute: We never saw individual robot modes for the ones that made Devastator. What if there were no robot modes and Devastator, rather than being comprised of six individual beings was actually just one being whose alt mode consisted of the those (I think it was actually 7) vehicles? Reedman certainly sets a precedent for this earlier in the film, being one entity comprised of all of those ball bearings. I wonder if the same concept is applied to Devastator.

2. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much how I explained it. With the added bonus of making the toys movie-accurate.

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disagree: the Long Haul, Scrapper, Mixmaster and Bonecrusher duplicates are part of the 13 protoforms that arrive in the battle and are shown emerging from the sand. The Long Haul and Mixmaster that form Devastator are the same ones present at Megatron's resurrection. Otherwise, I'd like to know how that dead excavator shows up to form Devastator too, and why a yellow Rampage forms his leg instead of the red one. ;) 

4. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I personally don't really like the thought of having a Reedman type character in a scale as large as Devastator. To be honest I wasn't a huge fan of the Reedman concept though, so that may influence me. Also, I haven't watched the movie in a long time, but didn't the individual ball bearings have little bot modes? I could be mixing them up with the little Insecticons that Sam ripped apart though...

In any case, that could be a viable reason/excuse for the Supreme Devs toy not having individual bot-modes.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    It's actually 9 vehicles that make Devastator.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Since nothing is really explained in the film you pretty much just have to roll with whatever theory works best for you.

Reedman is a little easier to explain. Someone watched Stargate SG1 and decided they were going to rip off the concept of the Replicators. Hey lets make them round though so people can't tell we are ripping off SG1 for ideas.

7. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

About the Constructicons, it's like the G1 Seekers. More transformers sharing the same body-type. Simple. And it makes sense that the Decepticons would have more of them. If one limb of Devastator is shot off, another one can take its place.

About Reedman, there were many robots with individual robot modes. And yes, it reminds me of the SG-1 Replicators, but it isn't really a rip-off. Just inspired by the concept, and remade.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Exactly, that's kinda my point. We see so many duplicates why automatically assume we're seeing the same characters?

I probably should have said Omega Supreme since that's really the concept I'm making a case for. His tank and rocket components aren't separate beings, but they don't connect in alt mode.

My bad.

I started watching SG1 but only got a few eps into season 1 before I had to quit. Just didn't have enough time to keep watching it regularly. I really should go back and pick up where I left off.

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because Stargate is totally the first thing to ever have a mass of nanomachines forming one body.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Like a Duocon, but splitting into more vehicles than just two.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The Replicators don't show up until the end of season 3 so if you just started watching it's still a while before you get to them in the show.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Is it 8 months ago already? Man, time flies when it's going backwards.

13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yup, There 9 Just like wheeljack prime says, The 8th contructicons (a bulldozer) Forms Devs Left Hand, and hte 9th contructicon (yellow dump truck) combiens with ramapge for form the Left Leg (Its funyn Since hasbro Thinks that there only 7 contructicosn when theres actually 9)

14. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

That's the way I saw it, Devastator was one robot that transformed into nine vehicles.

15. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I don't mind the idea of the clones, but I think they did a terrible job of the Constructicons in the film, we never really see they are clones, as in showing two in the same scene together, it just seems like horrible sloppy editing where they had characters running around in different scenes at the same time. We can all justify it by saying they are like Seekers, or that Devs individual vehicles don't have bot modes, but in the end in the movie it just comes across as chaotic and confusing.

Oh, not to mention that the Legends toy has bot modes, and on the Supreme Devs package all the vehicles have the robot names listed. So....yeah.

16. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

I think that's where some of the confusion is coming from, people look to the toyline for information. If we go by the toyline then Jazz, Brawl, and Bonecrusher survived, got new paint jobs, then ran off to the middle of nowhere. I go by what I saw in the movie, and I saw 9 vehicles with no individual robot modes form Devastator.

17. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Care to list them?

By my accounts, we have:

Long Haul
    Scrapper
    Mixmaster
    Scavenger
    Hightower
    Yellow Rampage 1
    Yellow Rampage 2
    Overload
    Left Hand Dozer Scooper thing.

That's the nine I can think of. Same for you?

18. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    ahhhhh....

I did not think that Yellow Dump Truck combined with Yellow Rampage. I thought it could be two dozers because there are no tires visable on the left leg, yet there are two sets of dozer tracks on the CGI renders.... and even on the supreme toy's knee....

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    To quote Ron White: "Next time you have a thought, just let it go"

J/K, Im teasing. Yes that boggled alot of people, me included, in the beginning.

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    TfWiki sasy that the dump truck combined with rampage