A Thought on Oil Slick

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As Issue #3 of The Arrival indicates, Oil Slick was already operating with the Decepticons during the Great War and when Ratchet was still in his prime, which would almost certainly make the chemical warrior a bot of Ratchet and Lockdown's generation. How, then, do we explain the bit in Oil Slick's toy bio about him having trained in Circuit-Su with Prowl? :confused: 

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They could be going with a different characterization for him than what was put into the bio. Seeing as the bio was written well before he was ever put into the show, it wouldn't surprise me.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    although i understand that they made his bio a while ago, i would much rather have them go with the bio-give PRowl some characterization, ya know?

4. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same way you handle G1 Soundwave's penchant for blackmail bio with his never-ever-ever-ever did that ever characterization in the show.

Shrug and move on.

5. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

They wont the bio is redundant.

6. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well even so, Oil Slick may have not trained until Prowl's generation came around. But I'd say the Comic version is what counts. Though I originally hoped Oil Slick would help give insight to Prowl's past (his being the only one not explored), but there will be some ninja in Season 3...so I'm sure it'll happen anyway. Plus it's cool to have another Veteran on the show (Lockdown, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet)

7. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

I just look at it like this - there is no age maximum/minumum requirement to train in Circuit-su...

Another variable is that we don't know which stage of training that Prowl and Oilslick were together for.

8. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

Why would a Decepticon from the great war be training alongside an Autobot that is from a post war generation. The original bio was almost suggestive that Oilslick was a former Autobot that turned Decepticon.

9. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

In a word... "Decept"icon. This is even quoted by Oilslick himself in the Backstory Comic.

The variable here is that we don't know how prominent of a Decepticon he was (infamous or periphary). But we do know that he'd met Ratchet. So plausibly, Ratchet reported an incident with a decepticon named Oilslick... but any number of things could have happened once that transmission was launched...

Not saying there isn't a technical loophole here, but given that Mr. Isenberg/Hasbro put a lot of love into this series, there's bound to be an explanation. I just tend to imagine what is between the lines, rather than limit myself to what is seen/read.

10. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

I'm Longhaul53 he probably just got I by taking off his Decepticon symbol and keeping his past a secret or he lied about it. Also he might of scanned a new mode to not look evil, with the spikes and goat head.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toy bio was made before TFA-writing crew made-up anything for him and you shoud ignore it.

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yup, Animated: Arrival is considered canon, as it's written by the same people as the show is, so I consider that canon over a paragraph on the back of the card. But who knows, maybe they will write it into the show, Oil Slick trained with Prowl, but undercover or something. In the end, who cares, it's an awesome toy. :) 

13. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Yeah because in season three he undergoes some massive changes paint wise

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Who? Oil Slick? As far as I'm concerned he's the same coloration his toy is. Just that the pictures that have been shown of him in the show have him in a dark area, which then darkens his colors, making him look different. Basically how the Decepticons looked when we first saw them in Season 1. The were in a dark area, which made them look darker than they actually are.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Not sure..the toy has a yellow body with black paint, the picture from season3 has Oil Slick with a black body and lightish green paint..I don't think it is meant to be a 'shadow version'.

Maybe they changed his colors so they can sell a repaint of the toy more easily? :p 

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It would give them an easy repaint opportunity. I don't think we'll fully know what his exact coloration in the show is until we actually see him in the show. Till then we'll just have to speculate.

17. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

maybe he trained prowl?

I haven't read issue 3 yet so this may be way wrong and its going to get very fan fic-y.

Prowl couldn't get into the autobot circuit-su school and somehow met oilslick. Oilslick has been living on his own for many years after the decepticons turned against him( for killing his own) and he feels that Prowl would be a good apprentice. His excuse to prowl would be that a autobot medic once helped him and thus he feels like he is returning the favor. Prowl agrees but oilslick's teachings turn prowl cold and self centered ( this would reflect his attitude at the start of season 1 and when he gets his upgrades in fistful of energon.) To finish prowls training oilslick takes him to an organic planet. Once there prowl sees oilslick harm/kill a harmless organic creature and so prowl chooses to abandon his training fearing that he will become more like oilslick. This would explain his lonely attitude and his love for organic things.

Sorry to go on and not make it incredibly detailed, but yeah thats my idea, assuming they use his bio. :) 

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That, would make a fantastic episode

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Similar to what I was thinking. They may have trained together but that doesn't mean that Oilslick was the one breaking faction.

20. AsylumInmate135

AsylumInmate135 Member

I think with the release of "Five Servos of Doom" (on Youtube) it gives a little insight. Oilslick my not have trained Prowl but he may have definitely been a pupil to Master Yoketron, because he said himself that there was a past pupil that brought shame to them all.