A Thought On Alternators And The Movie...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    A thought just occurred to me while reading the Movie Jazz thread...

With the ALT line and Movie toy line being separate, does this mean that all the vehicles that are going to be used in the movie toyline won't be used for the ALTs???

For example, will we ever see an ALT Bumblebee that's a Camaro??? Or an Ironhide that's an Avalanche??? Does this mean that the Avalanche and Camaro are off limits to the ALT line???

I personally wouldn't mind Bumblebee showing up in the ALT line, but I seriously doubt that they would make two Camaro Bumblebee toys for two separate lines...

So the question I guess I'm posing is this:

Is the movie line possibly hindering the future of the ALT line by taking up molds that could've possibly have been used for the ALT line???

Or would Hasbro honestly not mind, say, having a movie version of the Camaro Bumblebee and developing an ALT Camaro Bumblebee as well that's exactly the same in car mode, but in robot mode, he's like his ALT buddies instead of the alienesque look...

For me, toys translated from movies never sat well... Granted, I think the movie toy line shouldn't have a problem, but historically speaking, movie toys have sucked...

I just hope that with the movie line claiming molds on modern cars, that it doesn't hinder the future of the ALTs...

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I would have been ok with the movie being the alts myself.

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Nah. Alts have been somewhat GM heavy. Long before we saw the impossible-as-toy movie designs, I said I bet we'd see an Alt Camaro, period, and in BBs movie colors either as the initial paintjob or the repaint. Barricade seems like a no-brainer. Movie Jazz, Ironhide and Ratchet..wouldn't be surprised to see one or all.

I don't think the fact that they wouldn't transform like their movie counterparts (constrained by like, physics, and all) will matter. Likewise that they'll be on sale at roughly the same time as the more direct movie toys. I mean..how many Primes are on sale right now?

3" Titanium, 6" Titanium, Armada repaint #13, Cybertron Leader, Alternator...I miss any?

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    But those Primes are different... Yes they're the same character, but each robot mode and vehicle mode are both different...

My question is, would they make something like a movie Bumblebee and ALT Bumblebee where both have the same exact car mode in the Camaro???

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Cybertron Leader repaint and LoC.

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

The Camaro as Bumblebee for the Alt line I think would be great. But I think it would have to come well after the Movie Toy line has been released. If it was out before or at the same time, the Movie version woudl probley bomb like hell because so far peopel like a Alt look more than a Movie look.

7. Omnibus Prime

Isn't this first 3" Titanium WW Prime, too? Seriously, I'm not sure as I've never looked that closely. The 3" ones don't interest me.

However...in Armada, the deluxe and large Prime were on sale concurrently. They released the TRU Deluxe Energon Prime while Fatty McFatterson was still on sale. And as Switchblade pointed out, LoC Prime is on sale now, at the same time as the regular leader class Prime.

Now, due to the inherently different nature of Alts, there's never been an example of a character in that line being on sale concurrently with that character in another line, where both share the same alt mode. Unless you count the presently reshipping Alt Meister and his 3" Titanium counterpart.

Even without trying to weave through all that, movie toylines in general tend to have multiple scales of the same characters that are incompatible with each other. Be it just trying to cash in on the 'event', satisfy certain price points, appeal to different demographics, or a combination. I don't think TFs should be any different.

I hope not, because I reallyreally want an Alt Camaro. :p  I may be generally okay with (all two of) the Bot movie designs we've seen, but I don't see myself going crazy for the toys. "Alternator versions" otoh, that fit in with a buncha what I already have, sign me up.

8. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    im just hoping the movie line, or some of it, will be relatively in scale with the alts, which i can see happening. How awesome would a blackout figure look with the alts!?

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I thought Hasbro had said at one point that movie characters would be introduced into all of their lines in some capacity? I would imagine that would include Alternators. It would presumably be limited to Bumblebee, Jazz, Barricade, and maybe Ratchet and Ironhide, unless they finally get around to expanding the line to other size classes though.

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well I doubt we'll see an Alt. BB as a Camaro. I dont see why we couldnt have an Alt. as a Camaro though, I just think it'd end up being a different character.

Oh and IronHide isnt an Avalanche in the new movie. He's one of these:

http://www.afefilters.com/images/chevy_kodiak/album0.html

11. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I think that they should've used Alt designs for the movie instead of that Allien looking bots.

Now, having two TF that transform into Camaros...as long as they have a different transformation scheme, I wouldn't mind. You could show one in Vehicle mode and the other in bot mode.

12. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I highly doubt Bumblebee would be a Camaro in the Alternator line since it seems to draw much more heavily from G1. I invision Bumblebee being some sort of compact/hatchback kind of vehicle in the Alternator line.

However I do believe the Camaro will come out as some character in the Alternator line, just not Bumblebee.

13. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. :)  I'll have to wait and see these toys in stores, but it looks like at least a few of them will look great complementing Alts and MPs (especially the severely underdeveloped Decepticon faction). It's just such a shame the Deceps got shafted out of a true leader *again*. Movietron would look like a freak next to Ravage, Swindle, DE, NP, SW, SS and the like (that's not to say G1tron would not look like a freak next to them either, but i digress...). Here's hoping! :) 

14. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

From a marketing point of view, it would be better to separate the movie line and the Alternators line. If the movie line bombs for some reason, then at least the Alts would be safe. From cost point of view, if Hasbro has the license for a particular car they should probably milk it for all it's worth.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't see any reason why they couldn't do multiple toys of the same car (licensing permitting, of course), but I kinda doubt they would, using the old "people will be confused" argument. It's a little hard to see Hasbro doing say... Movie Camaro Bumblebee and Alternator Camaro Bumblebee, both with the same car mode, but different robot modes. Seems more likely they would, if Alternators continue through movie-time, and movie designs don't co-opt other lines like Alternators, use the same car for Alternators, but as a different character (and color).

Speculation is fun.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

There's only three GM Alternators and they're all the Corvette mold.

17. Omnibus Prime

D'oh

I had it in my head that Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/etc was under the GM umbrella. So Alts are Chrysler heavy...so uh, yeah. [​IMG]

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i love it when razorwire freaks out abt stuff.

not thinking too far ahead myself over here, just waiting for frigging rumble.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Me freak out??? Never... I was just bored and my mind wandered... It just eventually wandered to ALTs...

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Hasbro has already stated that all the alts due out this year have been released, and that there are only about 2 coming next year. Then the line will stop while the movie line goes on and might come back after the movie. So this entire question is moot.

However, I do think we will see some 1/24 scale ( or approx ) movie toys. Don't expect Alt detail and complexity.