A Thought Occurs: Do you think we might eventually see an Optimus better than MP?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CrypticIllusionist, Aug 7, 2010.

1. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I know it probably sounds far fetched, but hear me out. We've been seeing plenty of what we thought was the perfect representation of a character being outdone.
    Battle Blade Bumblebee put me on this line of thought, though considering the cash cow character, I guess it was bound to happen. In any case, the first Deluxe of the old Camaro Bumblebee, didn't offer much in terms of movie-accuracy or features. The next deluxe for the 2008 Camaro had improved on both areas, being more Bumblebee-ish, especially in the legs, and included a transforming weapon.
    Fast-forward to ROTF and we've got...a crapload of yellow and black Camaros lying around. Arguably, a couple were a bit of a step back (Preview and Cannon would be my personal choice examples) but then we also saw the release of Human Alliance Bumblebee.
    HA seemed to be pretty much as accurate as you could get, with only a couple small sacrifices for the sake of having an interior. And yet...we got Battle Ops Bumblebee and Battle Blade Bumblebee.

Bumblebee's not necessarily the only example, just the easiest one to use and probably the best one too. We just got HA Jazz; though being only the second transforming mold of the character, it was a huge jump in accuracy and play-value (well, I'm assuming on that part as I don't actually own the toy). Starscream has been another shining example with the leap from the 2007 Voyager to the 2009 Voyager, and then another leap to the Leader/Masterpiece.

Breaking away from the movie lines, the CHUG figures have done a lot of this too. In fact, it's pretty much what they've been based around.

In any case, as far as existing molds go, I'm sure I can name off several just based on G1 Optimus Prime and I'm not all that well informed on the subject. As for whether or not we would even need or want a mold better than the Masterpiece, well I think the robot mode is pretty much as good as it gets...but I, along with what seems to be the majority, do see potential for improvement to the vehicle mode. In that respect, it'd be nice to see what they could pull off and still make a robot just as awesome, but at the same time I don't think it'd mean much to myself; I'm more in it for the robots than the vehicles.

Ehh, this turned out a lot longer than I expected. Anyway, thoughts?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Isn't the answer obvious? It's kind of the nature of Transformers for the figures to evolve and become better.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

no, takara and hasbro would rather just keep repainting the same mold of course :lol 

over and over and over and over again.

until there are so many versions of that mold, that it makes movie bumblebee feel like a loner.

:lol 

4. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Other than the headlights being recessed a little, I think the MP vehicle mode is great.

The lights could quite easily be improved by having them attached to the arms rather than the wheel wells. They could fold up / swivel round and form the inside of the arm, or even fold inside the hand slot once the hands are extended. By not having them hinged at the base to fit the existing transformation, they could be made to stand further forward.

Painting the shoulder joints red so they don't stand out so much in truck mode wouldn't hurt, either :) 

5. Rodimus Maximus

Rodimus Maximus Liege Ultimo

Technology improves, toys improve.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I can't imagine what huge upgrades to the MP figure of Prime there are left to make, but then I'm no toy designer.

TF figures have - for the most part - been improving year on year for a good while now (ever since balljoints were 'invented' pretty much). Who knows what we will see in a year of five years time? More Optimus Prime figures, that is guaranteed.

7. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    The MP Prime design could easily be surpassed now; you only have to look at the engineering used in some of the Alternity & ROTF Leader toys to see that. Evolving tools & technology will always allow the best designers to do more than they could previously. Without a doubt, if Hasbro or Takara did decide to do a new Masterpiece-level G1 Prime toy, it would be an inevitable improvement on the orginal MP01.

Whether there's any need to do a new MP G1-style Prime is an entirely different question (as opposed to just Prime figures generally - we know they will keep getting made, new style & old). But ultimately it'll happen if Hasbro or Takara decide there's a significant market for such a thing.

Rather they used that engineering knowhow to do a full-blown Masterpiece-level Movie Prime first tho, but I shan't derail the thread by reviving that old chesnut ;) 

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think that's a bit subjective too- I'd like it better if it were smaller and lighter. His size and weight impede pose-ability and make it hard to find space to display him. In terms of just the design and tech.. I'm sure they could, but I really don't know what more they could have done with the figure.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if they'd make an Optimus better then the MP but I can guarantee you that I'd buy it if they did lol.

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I personally liked the design of his Powermaster form best, even the cab only robot looked better than the original Optimus Prime toy. I think that is the best G1 Optimus, maybe they could do something like this again using modern technology.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Do you think we might eventually see an Optimus better than MP?

Answer,it all depends on a certain TF fans personal taste.

Some TF fans loate the master piece transformers toys.

Takara has stated in numberous interviews on-line. that they consider the ROTF Leader sized Optimus Prime toy. to be a masterpiece styled toy.

I actually think of all the leader sized optimus Prime toys released thus far. both live action movie leader sized optimus prime's are my all time favorites. both toys are very poseable,highly sculpted. excellent toy engineering & based off a liscensed peterbuilt truck.

For me the armada,energon & animated leader sized/supreme toys were a huge let down.

I'm not a fan of any of the classics optimus prime molds or of the alternity convoy mold.

Laser rod optimus prime & rid prime are mildly decent toys.

I like the masterpiece Optimus Prime toy & it rates high in my book. but, I kinda think it's too big & out of scale with other transformers on display shelves. I got the hasbro MP Optimus prime. I also bought the faith leader smaller scale version because it's in a better & more accurate size scale.

If Takara ever decides to create another master piece optimus prime/convoy toy. I'd prefer they did a power master optimus prime MP toy.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Given subjectivity, I'll say "yes and no". :) 

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Eventually, Eventually.

The future isn't written yet so anything is a possibility.

14. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    We already have, buster optimus. Runs out of thread...

15. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, there will be a better one.

but until then, i wish they'll just resize mp convoy to voyager size and loose the die cast... i'm not talking about 'faith leader' here, rather, a proper classics optimus that's slightly smaller than city commander.

16. Hitman84

Hitman84 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a feeling we could possibly see a Masterpiece Movie Prime with trailer.

17. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll go ahead and say they already made a better toy than MP prime- ROTF prime.

And I think there have been better TFs since... but that's another topic.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For G1 Optimus Prime, no they will not.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've often wondered what our Masterpiece toys would be like today if G1 toys were like current Masterpieces back in the 80's.
    So what will our current Masterpieces be like in another few years? Only time will tell.
    Evolution my friend......................evolution.

Can't imagine what would be better than MP04. Except for one with actual cartoon voice saying a couple of things and a bunch of LED lights all over him in true to scale fashion.

20. prowl26

prowl26 Well-Known Member

This, I really would like to see a new PowerMaster Optimus Prime