A thought about boxart & toy match

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SureShot90, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Well after I got my MIB Scorponok yesterday I kind of wondered... in the catalogs Scorponok was alway show with different colours, just a bit like with Fortress Maximus with 180ยบ turned "tower" and a clear breast windows.
    However upon recieving the box I couldn't stop wondering, what was designed first ? the box and boxart or the toy ?.
    Because the toys shown on the box clearly has a totally different colourscheme (acutually a cooler one than the release had IMO), but the boxart colours matches the retail toy itself. If the box was made first then what happened to that toy in the picture, and if the toys was made first then... why didn't they shoot pictures of the actual retail toy ?

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not shooting pictures of the actual toy is an easy question to answer. The truth is, a lot of g1 figures weren't very posable. If you drew a picture of the figure, it's possible to show them in some sort of action pose, you could never get g1 scorponok in such a dynamic pose like the box-art.

As for which came first, the box art or the toy itself, it's hard to say. A lot of the g1 toys came first, seeing as they were diaclone figures originally(although not all of them kept the same color scheme). If I were to guess, the box-art probably came first before the final decisions on the toy were made, so they'd have something to show as a completed in package sample.

edit: Something else to keep in mind. It also wasn't necessarily as cheap and easy as it is today, to take a good picture of something like a transformers toy, crop the background out, and paste it over some background art for a package design.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

True, computers weren't used for that back in the '80s. It was all done manualy.

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That I'm totally aware of. But does that mean that hasbro/takara just decided "heck we will throw pic's of the prototype on the box, and do the boxart figure in the final retail colours" ?
    [​IMG]

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, yes. At my work we send sample units to photography that may not match the final product exactly(say we find some issue that needs changed in the middle of production) for pictures on the packaging of the product. No, I don't work in the toy industry, but the basics are the same.