A theory on the new releases.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Jun 30, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    This isn't important at all. But I do alot of walking, and I think when I walk. And I was wondering to myself, what if Walmart and Target didn't get the first shipments of Transformers because of last years ROTF release date debacle. I remember last year, Walmart released the ROTF toys a day early, then Target not wanting to get left out, sent memos to all stores to release theirs that Friday as well. If I remember, TRU didn't release theirs until Saturday, the actual release date. So I wonder if Hasbro deliberately held back stock from Target and Walmart by a week or two.

I don't know how distribution centers for the stores get product from Hasbro. Wether it's straight from China or from Hasbro's warehouses. I don't really care one way or another, I will get my new toys when they come. I just always think about stupid stuff like this as a puzzle that I try to figure out. For the most part there is probably no reason for it whatsoever, but who knows.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Interesting thought and I suppose its not out of the realm of possibilities.

3. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I've bought my new HFD figs from TRU.com...

No one else can deliver the goods...

Walmart and Target will restock. Eventually...

They still have alot of ROTF figs on the pegs, though...

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I completely forgot about that...like you said, it could be something else entirely, but it is an interesting theory.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't know shit about retail and distribution, but that's not a bad thought. I keep hearing that Target and Walmart haven't restocked because of all the RoTF inventory they still have, but is it really that way nationally? Not one single Walmart or Target didn't overstock RoTF, or didn't know enough to order at least a case of the new stuff because it would move fast? Seems a little odd.

6. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    or it could be that Toys R Us had some special deal to get them early? I mean they have that with Lego.

7. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    all i know is there has'nt been shiz for months and months now i'm gettin' killed w/ online preorders coming up multiple retail shelformers damn this is makin' my head spin.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    from what ive seen and heard no one has really been finding them at targets or walmarts. they will soon be flooded, but i know target has a weird way they stock their floors.

since im moving from chicago where i could take transit to several targets, walmart and tru to boston where i can basically make it to one target, i will be doing a lot of online ordering which i just did on tru.com.

9. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I know that all these figures will be at Walmart and Target soon eonugh. Both stores have no problem shoving off inventory to clearance. Right now TRU has the bogo 50% off gimmick, so I'm in no real hurry to see them at the other stores. A very interesting thought though.

10. TechNoMad

TechNoMad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This does make sense as far as why walmart and target do not have them yet. But I not sure if that is enough of a reason for those companies' buyers to not buy more Hasbro. They are losing sales. In the end for them its all about the bottom line. They have bought these toys that are on the shelves and own them and should be willing to reduce prices even further to clear them out even at a loss, it moves their inventories. But wasn't there some kind of shipping or producing problem in China a while back too? This may have contributed to this weird lag as well. Just my two cents, which is probably worth less than that.

11. TechNoMad

TechNoMad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    On a follow up for those that have some of the new stuff check your packaging and toys. My WFC prime packaging has a date of 2009. My WFC Bumblbee toy itself also says 2009, in the molded plastic on the hatchback part.

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I really hoping TRU just tears everything off the shelves and replaces it with Generations. Wal-Mart's shelves were empty and I was all like "Whoo! Their restocking with Generations and HFTD soon! :D  " But no, when I got there, nothing but Activators on the shelves. :( 
    TRU orders too much stuff. The shelves are full of Recon Ravages here in Canada and I haven't seen them move in ages. I hope they just clear the shelves and replace it with the new stuff. That's what they did with ROTF on May 15.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Now would be a perfect time for Walmart to revisit the 777 deal on deluxes. Although I suspect Tuner Mudflap, Gears, and Dirge would still be warming the pegs.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't been in Pittsburgh long enough to know whether it holds true here, but when I was in Atlanta I noticed the following pattern with every TF line that didn't have an official release date:

- TRU is the first to get in the line's first wave(s) and gets them in large quantities. TRU becomes the best bet for finding the toys.
    - After a short time, Wal-Mart and Target get the first wave(s).
    - Wal-Mart and/or Target are the first to get the subsequent waves.
    - TRU lags behind, getting new waves in after Wal-Mart and Target have had them for some time. Virtually no reason to bother checking TRU for new stuff, at this point.
    - By the end of the line, Target and Wal-Mart sparingly get the last waves. TRU gets the last waves in very small numbers or skips them entirely.

If I had to guess, maybe TRU 'gives up' on lines earlier and starts cutting their orders for new waves before Wal-Mart and Target. That gives them more time to clear out the old line, which gives them more space to put the new lines out as soon as the figures are available. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart and Target are still trying to clear out the old figures so they have peg space for the new stuff.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    No we don't o-O

16. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

I can't speak for Walmart, since I found a fair amount of the Hunt for the Decepticons line there today, but Target's currently got a sale on Transformers which ends this Saturday, so I'm assuming they're holding off until Monday.

Then again, TRU still has a buy-one-get-one-50%-off sale going & they've got all the new toys available, so who knows.

17. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Or they could be holding them for the real street release date....I work in retail and I know sometimes when you sell things early without the company approval can result into fines...since they did releaseed rotf early that could be a possilbilities...both also had a lot of exclusives....or target and wallys could be waiting to make that 4qtr push....

18. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    When I walk and think I wonder what boogers smell like... then my head explodes.

19. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Also walmart is notorious for clearancing items, if they have that much products marked it down....tru very rarely marked items down, esp tfs

20. exclusacon

News Credits:

For the record...boogers do stink....weird...