A thank you to IDW (and Dreamwave)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thank you for keeping my favorite part of Transformers going - good fiction.

The TF franchise has changed a lot over the years and I haven't always liked where the TV shows since the Beast Era have been going. I'm still somewhat skeptical if I will like the new movie. And after the preview shot and info about Transformers Heroes today, it does not instill me with confidence for the time being.

It got me thinking about why I have stuck around with TFs these past several years since BW/BM ended and I realized (in addtion to Alts, Classics, Titaniums and a few other cool toys) a very important answer -

Each month I enjoy TFs as close to what I've always thought it should be thanks to the comics!

So thank you IDW and Dreamwave -

For keeping G1 alive!
    For giving me an Armada/Energon storyline I actually liked!
    For War Within - awesome!
    For giving us Spotlights on our favorite characters!
    For bringing back Beast Wars!
    For the MTMTE G1 and Armada guides and the upcoming BW guides!
    For the movie prequels/tie ins, that have given me more confidence about the movie universe itself!
    For the Origin of Megatron (it's going to be like War Within all over again)!
    For giving us tolerable human characters!
    For giving us good G.I. Joe crossovers!
    For reprinting those old Marvel US and UK issues!
    For thinking outside the box (Hearts and Steel)!
    For keeping Simon Furman around!
    For giving us great new talented artists and writers - Figueroa, Raiz, Roche, Su and more!

For all this and more, thank you! I will continue supporting IDW for as long as they continue printing TF comics!

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

No Fairlady, thank You...I was thinking the same thing and I couldn't have said it better myself. clapping smiley face insert here.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thank you IDW for giving us nick roche.

thank you DW for g1 vol 3 ish 1-6.

fuck you pat lee.

4. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

QFT

You, sir, are the man.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Quoted for fact.

I just wish they could release the rest of of the Dw stuff as trades and finish some of those storylines.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah it'd be nice to have Mick's G1 epic has a second comic. I don't know if the market could support it, but it'd still be nice. Certainly, it'd be better than Generations...

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And Don.
    :thumb 

(sure, he did Macromasters, but it was DW who made it possible for the masses to experience his amazing work)

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Yeah I brought this up in my Marvel thread. Without the comics(IE when DW folded) I tend to forget about my Transformers and not be as interested. Heck I didnt buy any Galaxy Force toys till long after the show was off air because we had no comic!

Now that IDW is in full swing though I am buyin crap like crazy. Weird I know.

Yes thank you DW for relaunching(Fuck you Pat Lee for being an Idiot) and thanks to IDW for bringing it back and IMO even better than DW did it!

9. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    and thank YOU (all) for supporting our work through the years

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    youre welcome.

any of pats babys mama knock on your door yet?

11. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

here here! :thumb s:

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I'll thank Pat Lee for one thing, at the very least:

The Fallen.

Although, I think I prefer the Titanium version of the design over the original...

Gary

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

DW stuff was rather weak. There were some gems, but not many.

IDW looks very pretty, with overall much better art than what DW put out, but the writing is sorely lacking most of the time. Really, I think the only IDW story I've really enjoyed so far was that "What if?" series where they awakened in the 1800's.

But I am glad that they are keeping things alive and going. More TF stuff the better.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'll throw in my two cents and thank all the creative and dedicated people who continue to give us imaginative and beautiful art.
    There have been great ideas, great designs and a love of this story that is wonderful and exciting to pick up monthly.

I've been collecting comics for 20 years. I'd lost that feeling of anticipation and for a while was buying stuff out of habit. These transformers stories have brought back my enjoyment of the medium.

To all the creators you do awesome work! Thanks!

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll support this thread. The comics have always been my preferred form of the fiction.

IDWs definitely my second favorite so far--the old B&W Marvel UK filler stories are still king, though.

And Don's the best goddam TF artist out there. Alex is growing on me lately, but Don is the gold standard by which I judge all TF art.

16. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I tell ya if we had a poll on our favorite TF comic artists, even if he didn't win Don would still be one of the top ones. In fact maybe we should do that.

Anyway as many others have said, thanks for all the memorable stories and awesome art you guys have given us over the years. I don't think there is really much more that needs to be said.

17. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Yah, I still haven't had as much fun with the IDW series as I used to with the original Marvel run.
    My biggest beef is that each mini-series seems to be written with the trade paperback format in mind from the off. Each issue should ideally be enjoyable in it's own right, yet only comes across (to me) as a chapter in a bigger novel (which it is, but it should still stand on it's own).

Nice art though (apart from overly mangled Transformers during every fight!), and kudos to them for keeping the brand alive in comic form.

18. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

Whats the deal with this Pat Lee then?

I've got G1 Vol1 and 2 graphic novel and I've just bought 10 issues of Vol 3 - Is there any more?

I've just this second finished reading vol 1 of War Within (1-6) and am looking to get 2 and 3.

I'm also making a start on the Spotlight series too :)  I've got escalation but didn't think much of it - compared to the G1 story.

But coming back to my original Q - whats the story with this Pat Lee fella?

19. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

Thanks Don, for the amazing art, thanks Simon for inspiring me to be a writer, and a big :thumbdown  to my local comic book store for getting all their Transformers stuff in late!

20. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I don't know the details but as best I understand it, Pat Lee is an greedy idiot who refused to pay the honest people working for him for their hard labor and give them credit where credit was due. Many quit because of it and Dreamwave imploded. It seems to be a common failing among several independant comic book companies, the same thing happened to Crossgen.

The comics got canceled. War Within Vol. 3 was never finished, only the first 3 issues exist. The G1 issues never got past issue 10 and a second G.I.Joe/TF crossover was canceled after one issue. As for what else is out there that you may not already have, Dreamwave also did a Summer Special (had G1, BW and RID stories in it) the Mircomasters mini series, a crossover with G.I. Joe that was completed and set during World War 2, 8 issues of the More Than Meets the Eye profile books (complete), and 3 issues of the Armada profile books (complete). The Armada/Energon comic series was also canceled mid story at around issue #29.

Hope that helps.