A survey, please reply!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Obliterator999, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well hello there, fans of Transformers and toys. I'm Obliterator999 - 30 years old of age and female - and I collect toys, lots and lots of 'em; Transformers, G.I.Joes and superheroes (the 6" kind)... Searching the internet for bargains, buying/selling/trading with fellow collectors, keeping track of what I own, researching toy lines, keeping myself up-to-date on releases, customizing, etc. I love it all! It's time-consuming and costly, yes, but when you have a passion it's all fun and there's no limit to what you can do.

However, nearly everyday, I have to deal with this ONE person who seems to think that collecting is some sort of illness, that I am deranged or infantile for doing what I do. This is completely untrue, of course, and I find it perplexing that someone would think that. I'm a huge flippin' nerd, everyone knows that about me, but it's in no way a maturity indicator. Most of my friends treat my collecting habits with either interest or indifference, but never with negativity, except this person. I shouldn't let this bothered me but seeing as this person is a very close person to me, it's hard not to. So I became curious, do other collectors face this sort of prejudice? I decided to do this little survey about us, the common collector. Who are we exactly. What is collecting to us. Why we do it. Maybe then I can show that person that collectors are... quirky, maybe, but certainly not abnormal.

I'd like as many people as possible to reply to these questions, to have at least some credibility. I'm mostly looking for adult collectors but everyone is welcome. I'll be answering these same questions in my next post if you want an example of answers.

::: ABOUT YOU! :::

) How old are you? If you are below 18, who pays for your toys? Yourself or your parents?

) Male or female?

) Married? Single? Children?

::: COLLECTING AND YOU! :::

) When did you start collecting? Or, how long have you been collecting?

) What triggered your interest in Transformers and collecting toys?

) For what reasons do you collect toys?

) What does collecting brings to your life?

::: YOUR COLLECTION, THE SPECIFICS :::

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any.

) MISB or loose, both even? Explain why you prefer one over the other.

) Your collection count? (approximatively)

) How much do you think you have spent so far on collecting Transformers?

) What was your most expensive purchase?

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or resalability?

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand?

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like?

::: YOUR COLLECTION AND PEOPLE! :::

) How is your collecting habits perceived by your family and circle of friends?

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private?

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also.

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say?

2. Obliterator999

Ebay:

) How old are you? If you are below 18, who pays for your toys? Yourself or your parents?
    Like I said in my previous post, I'm 30.

) Male or female?
    Female

Currently single.

Not that long ago actually ago. Like just a year after the release of the first movie. So about 4 years.

Well first there was the 80's cartoon. I loved it but I was too young to really follow the show so my interest kinda fell into obscurity. I remainded highly interested in robots and mechas (Gundam comes to mind) through the following decades. Then the movie came out and my love for the franchise was rekinkled. I was really wondering what the modern Transformers toys looked like compared to the old G1's. I was blown away and bought one on the spot. Then I gradually started to accumulate them...

Oh boy, there's many. Like aforementioned, I love robots in general. The incredible ingenuity behind them fascinates me. Transformers surpasses all others seeing as they can go from one mode to the other seemlessly. And the toys, well, they're really 2 toys for the price of one! :)  There's a great deal of nostalgia factoring in also. I remember watching the show as a kid... Loved the dinobots, the jet planes (I could never remember their name), pew pew! Funny thing is I never owned more than 2 TF toys back then. Do you know how hard it was for a girl to convince her parents to buy boys' toys for their daughter back then? They would refuse more often than not. Guess that might have something to do with it also...

An identity of sort. Distinguishness. A buttload of fun. Gratification when getting that one toy that has eluded you since forever...

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any.
    Transformers, G.I.Joes, Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics, comic books even. Also, I prefer the modern TFs. Well, anything starting from Beast Wars, another show I loved. I really like the movieverse aesthetics, but also the CHUG updated G1 figures. The actual G1 toys are just too simple and blocky for my tastes (minus a few exceptions).

Loose! For one, it's a lot cheaper and two, this allows me to transforms them back and forth at my leisure. Can't touch 'em when they are boxed, and that's just boring! :p 

I'd say +500 TFs, 200 joes, 200 superheroes.

Something between $3,000-5,000, but I honestly can't say for sure.

Spent $150 on a Buster Prime, then something like $120 on a big lot of mixed toys.

Not really... Well I mean, I do trying to maintain my stuff in the best condition it can be, but I'm definitely not doing so with the idea of profit in mind. If I ever get tired of collecting, I'll just try to recoup whatever I can and that's it.

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand?
    I usually keep my spendings contained, but I might still buy something on impulse if it's a deal I simply can't pass up or if it's something I really want or it's really rare.

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like?
    Not really, no. A little tight at the end of the month maybe, if there were unexpected expenses during that month.

Most of my friends don't mind or don't care. My older brother makes fun of it to tease the hell out of me but it's all in good fun (he sometimes threatens to destroy my TFs if I don't do what he says, the bastard!). Where things get hairy is with my mother. She's very old-fashion and frowns upon everything that isn't within her narrow scope of normality, and being who I am that pretty much narrows it down to everything that defines me...

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private?
    It really depends on the kind of person I'm speaking to and if they are familliar with the subject, but generally it's not something I find embarrassing to mention. If people seem to think it's odd, then I'll just make it brief and nothing really negative comes out of it. If they show curiosity I'll elaborate more and maybe I'll have a new friend! :)  However I don't really go out of my way to announce my hobby to the world, lol.

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also.
    I WISH! But no. :( 

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say?
    That's just who I am and I'm not about to change. Take it or leave it.

3. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

35 year old male with a family. My wife doesn't care as long as it doesn't bother our lives. my friends know i'm a fan and when thier kids come over they play with them. i could care less what anyone says cuz i'm happy. as far as resale value, i don't care. i would sell them if i had too but i only buy what i really want.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:

) Male or female?
    Male.

Single, no children.

Started collecting in 2009.

ROTF rekindled my love for Transformers. I was a fan of the G1 cartoon but did not get any of the toys then.

Because I love them. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I add to my collection.

It brings me joy and relieves stress. I also meet like-minded people and some become my friends.

- Bumblebee stuff, especially G1 (trimming down my movieverse collection)
    - Mini-bots
    - Legends/Cyberverse, especially TF Prime
    - TF Prime Deluxes, especially the Takara AM versions
    - Just started a Minicon collection, hoping to get at least one of each mold

Both, but a good percentage of my collection are factory sealed. Honestly, I'm happy just looking at MISB stuff, love the box art too, no need to open to enjoy them. But most of the time, I have at least one loose example of each mold to fiddle with.

Surely more than 700 not counting the non-transforming stuff like Robot Heroes, SCF, HOC, Robot Replicas, etc.

More than US$15K.

For a single item, I think at present, an MOSC G1 '85 yellow Bumblebee, around $120 including shipping.

I buy what I want without thinking of the resale value.

I try have some method, like completing Mini-bots first, but I'm always sidetracked by new releases that I can't resist.

I usually scrimp on some things when I overspend. For example, food, no biggie, I'm supposedly on a diet anyway. One time I postponed my car's oil change because I bought a lot of Transformers.

The members of our family are quite supportive, although my mom always cautions me not to spend so much. Most of my friends are collectors.

I depends, if for example someone makes conversation at a toy store, I'm happy to discuss my collection and even give advice if asked.

Nope.

It would depend on who the person is. But generally I would say something to the effect of "It's not my fault you're narrow minded."

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:

) How old are you? If you are below 18, who pays for your toys? Yourself or your parents?20, I pay for everything and I have for years

) Male or female?

) Married? Single? Children? No kids

) When did you start collecting? Or, how long have you been collecting?Since I was 4.

) What triggered your interest in Transformers and collecting toys?The show

) For what reasons do you collect toys?I get bored

) What does collecting brings to your life?Cash flow.

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any.Mostly just Transformers, but I am expanding into TMNT because Transformers aren't doing it. Beast Wars and 3rd party preferred because main line stuff isn't doing anything for me any more

) MISB or loose, both even? Explain why you prefer one over the other.Loose. I buy this shit because I'm bored, and MISB figures aren't exciting. I don't even buy MISB/MOSC if I can avoid it because I hate the odds of getting stuck with a QC error

) Your collection count? (approximatively)I think I'm back up to about 80. Definitely under 100. Used to be ~400

) How much do you think you have spent so far on collecting Transformers?They're paying me.

) What was your most expensive purchase?TFC Hercules. Paid full boat ($600), sold it for ~$450 as a buffer for a new business venture

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or resalability?Absolutely. I flip things all the time.

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand?Both... Some things fall more one way, some things fall more the other way.

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like?No. I compulsively gamble, but that's neither here nor there.

) How is your collecting habits perceived by your family and circle of friends?Nobody cares because I usually have more disposable income than everyone else.

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private?Generally private, but anyone that enters my private space can figure it out pretty quickly. I was in a more private location last year, so I had thousands of dollars worth on display at one time. This year I'm scaling back on the display, but my collection is also roughly half the size that it was then.

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also.I did an interview for an XM radio show at NJCC once.

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say?Fuck you, it's my money. Don't be jealous because I can buy shit and you can't.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    1. 17 in a week. I started paying for my own stuff about 4 years ago.
    2. Male.
    3. Single.
    4. Collecting since the age of 3. Didn't start TFs until 2007.
    5. Star Wars triggered collecting. TFTM triggered an interest in TFs.
    6. Because I enjoy them. I love setting up displays with figures. Just a fun hobby.
    7. Brings joy. It's just a lot of fun.
    8. I collect Star Wars and Transformers mostly, but I dabble with Marvel, DC, TMNT, and Thundercats. Animated is my favorite TF line, while Star Wars is my favorite toyline.
    9. Loose. Can't do displays with MISB figures.
    10. Unsure. Just counting TFs, probably 115 or so.
    11. Probably $2,000.
    12. Jetwing Prime. $184.
    13. I don't buy based on resell value, but I keep track of it.
    14. I keep track of what I want with TFW, but I do buy on impulse if something looks really good.
    15. No.
    16. Family is indifferent. Friends actually think it's pretty cool.
    17. Most people know I'm a nerd, so I have no qualms speaking to them about my collection.
    18. No.
    19. It's my cash, I'll spend it as I see fit.

7. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'm 27.

) Male or female?
    Male.

Married. No kids.

I started collecting when I was 16. Not really serious, I may have had about 100 figures. I sort of stopped when I was 20. Then, hurricane Katrina hit and wiped out EVERYTHING. I gave up collecting and got back into the hobby in 2007.

Been a fan of the G1 Cartoon since I was a kid. My favorite toys as a child were G1 Grimlock, G2 Starscream, G2 Swindle, and G2 Blastoff.

Pure Nostalgia. I work pretty hard, stress about my job and life, that sort of thing. It's always nice to go into my Transformer room and be reminded through these pieces of plastic of how good I had it as a kid.

Serenity.

I only collect Transformers. My favorite generation is RID/Car Robots.

Both. Most of my collection is loose because I like to pose them. Other figures just look better in the box so I leave them MISB/MOSC.

Maybe 1200 give or take a few figures.

No idea. Maybe about 50,000 dollars.

I bought MP Black Convoy for about 250 dollars.

I don't ever plan on selling my collection. If anything, I'll pass them on to a family member when I'm old and on my death bed.

I used to be a huge impulse buyer. Once my collection hit the 800 figure mark, though, I became more selective. At this point, I'd say 90% of my purchases are pre-planned.

Yes, when I first got back into collecting I had just moved out my mom's house and had no concept of how to save money. There were a few points where I didn't have money for groceries or other bills because I just had to have a particular figure. Now that I've gotten older and more experienced with handling money, I've never found myself in that situation.

The majority of my family thinks it's pretty cool. My mom thinks it's a waste of money, so I don't tell her too much about my newest acquisitions. My brother, cousins, dad, and even my grandma like to look at my collection, though.

As a high school teacher, I don't discuss my collection with my students. When I used to teach elementary, though, I had no problem telling my students about it. I don't mind telling strangers that I have a large collection, either. It's nothing that I'm embarrassed about, but I'd rather my students NOT know about my collecting because I'd lose the professionalism I've worked to achieve with them. In the mind of an adolescent, collecting toys means you're a kid. In the mind of a younger child, collecting toys makes you the coolest teacher ever, lol.

Nope.

It's my money, and as long as I'm not going into debt or anything, I can do what I want with it. Lots of people spend money on alcohol, prostitutes, clubs, and drugs. I'd rather spend mine getting an action figure.

8. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

) How old are you?
    A gentleman never asks..a lady never tells..

...I'm 33.

) Male or female?

[Over-sensitive] Male

Married and trying...

I collected as a kid, but I had stopped at whatever the appropriate age was (like middle school.) I got back into about 5 years ago.

I guess it really blossomed from nostalgia, I love puzzles, and that I've never grown out of my lifelong love of all things mecha. Before my resurgence into Transformers, I was still big into Battletech and Macross..both lead my way back here.

They're just cool to me.

Just another escape froma fairly physical and stressful job and stressful life.

Mostly what's deemed as Classics, noting it is my bent on Classics continuity.

I was actually lured back into Transformers by Animated for the most part and still hold onto quite, and have dabbled in Movie figures, and some Prime too. But Classics is basically the meat of my collection.

There are also some stuff from Macross, and various knick-knacks I've manged to like or hold on to from my childhood. I still have a ton of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in storage as well. A small collection of PVC when I was single, but Ieasily gave them up along with being a Bachelor.

I tend to buy MISB/MOSC, but keep them loose. Figures are better admired out of their package, and I think people justifying keeping them mint for investing might be deluding themselves (just my opinion, don't take it personally..)

I'm not really sure. Maybe a hundred if I just count Transformers...

Don't know, don't care.

Transformers: Henkei Electro Disruptor Ligier
    In General: Either the DX 1/60 Full Armor VF-25S Ozma or the DX Macross Quarter.

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or saleability?
    Not at all, although I managed to make good money reselling my PVC figures.

95% of it is debated and fretted over.

While I have tested my wife's patience once in a while, I really am not trying to not to press my luck.

My wife doesn't fully understand, it, but understands enough to know it makes me happy, so she generally acquiesces as long as money and space allows.

I'm pretty introverted, so that generally doesn't even come up.

Nope.

What, do you hate happiness?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:

30. Everything I own, I pay for, unless it was a present.

) Male or female?
    male

single

actual collecting started in 2001

I like robots, basically

Mostly it's the engineering. If a toy isn't interesting, I won't buy it.

entertainment

I collect Transformers, anime, and game figures. Mostly Transformers, with emphasis on Classics, Animated, and Optimus Prime toys

loose. I buy toys to check them out and really experience them, not to stare at them. I can do that online, or in stores.

currently 701

Probably around 7-8 thousand. $1,238 just on Optimus Primes. But I'm smart about my purchases.

Botcon 2011 Stunticon set

Nope.

Very few impulse buys. I'm not one of those people that go into toy withdrawl and will buy something out of compulsion to buy something

nope

Originally looked down upon, but now accepted

I don't hide it. It's out in the open.

Nope.

As I said to the cashier at Meijer who gave me a nasty look for buying Armada Megatron, "Why yes, I AM too god damn old for toys", and then I nodded, paid for my toy, and left.

10. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ) How old are you? 29

) Male or female? Yes please! ...wait, that...Male.

) Married? Single? Children? Single, no children. And frankly, not even the possibility of any children.

) When did you start collecting? Or, how long have you been collecting? Well, I started on a whim around Christmastime of '05. I did have Transformers and other toys when I was a kid, but none of them survived for my adult self except for some H-Man figures. That Christmas and my birthday (New Year's, so they're close) My parents and grandparents got me some Transformers before I really had no idea what to tell them to get me, so one day while my grandmother and I were in TRU, I showed her some examples of Transformers figures I might want. I had been on a message board where people were talking about them some, and was IMing a friend who was collecting, and he was telling about different ones, and Alternators and whatnot. Eventually I just started getting more and more into it and I'm still collecting today.

) What triggered your interest in Transformers and collecting toys? Whoops. Kind of answered this in that last response.

) For what reasons do you collect toys? I still collect them because I like them. If I lost interest I would stop collecting. Everyone needs a hobby, right?

) What does collecting bring to your life? Toys and the time spent playing with them, talking about them, searching for them and researching about them.

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any. Transformers, comic book figures, wrestling figures, Brave figures, some Sentai, some TMNT, various Japanese video game of anime figures, other stuff that catches my fancy. I probably like Classics and 3P stuff most of all right now.

) MISB or loose, both even? Explain why you prefer one over the other. Loose because I like to actually play with my figures.

) Your collection count? (approximatively) Transformers in the 40s. Other stuff in the hundreds.

) How much do you think you have spent so far on collecting Transformers? Thousands. I had a spreadsheet but I can't access it right now.

) What was your most expensive purchase? Hercules in totality, Fortress Maximus in a one shot deal.

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or resalability? Yes. I'm constantly selling off old stuff I grow tired of the fund new things. SO I always keep in mind figures' relative worth.

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand? Usually pretty calculated because I tend to know what's coming up. Sometimes I'm buy on impulse but usually only if I find a good deal.

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like? Nope!

) How is your collecting habits perceived by your family and circle of friends? They're live whatev.

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private? No. I wouldn't exactly keep it hidden but I don't really like talking about it with people. Or talking to people at all for that matter but that's another thing entirely.

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also. No.

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say? Nothing clean, that's for sure.

11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Id agree with them. An then I'd tell them to mind there own goddam business.
    Remember , it's your life. You only get so much time on this planet. Why not do what makes you happy..

12. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

) How old are you? If you are below 18, who pays for your toys? Yourself or your parents? 34

) Male or female? Male

) Married? Single? Children? Married, two kids, both girls, aged 6 years and 19 months.

) When did you start collecting? Or, how long have you been collecting? Started collecting as a child, but my current collection started about 10 years ago.

) What triggered your interest in Transformers and collecting toys? The original cartoon from the 80's

) For what reasons do you collect toys? The thrill of the hunt, and to fill a hole that used to be occupied by MMOs and card gaming.

) What does collecting brings to your life? As a kid who grew up in a single parent home, we did without a lot of things, including toys. The few TFers I was able to collect as a child were either gifts or long saved for treasures. Collecting current "classic" versions of the figures I either had or could never have as a child bring a lot of joy to me because, as a parent, I make sure my kids don't have to go through the things I had to deal with, and having something extra for myself at the end of the day is a great satisfaction.

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any. I mostly collect Classics (or CHUGs, if you prefer that term). I also hit on the Prime line and the larger scale (HA, Voyager, Leader) movie Autobots.

) MISB or loose, both even? Explain why you prefer one over the other. Loose. Toys are meant to be displayed... and handled minimally.

) Your collection count? (approximatively) A little over 100.

) How much do you think you have spent so far on collecting Transformers? Upwards of $2500

) What was your most expensive purchase? Maketoys Giant (preorder, but still...)

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or resalability? Not at the moment. Somewhere down the road, perhaps.

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand? A little of both. I pre-order everything I have to have, then hit Target, Walmart, and TRU for "wishlist" pieces.

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like? God yes. My collection money comes from quarterly bonuses at work. I missed a couple last year and found myself not buying much for the second half of 2011. Thankfully it was kinda slow in the Classics/3P market.

) How is your collecting habits perceived by your family and circle of friends? Most of my friends are in awe. I have nerdy friends.

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private? I am proud of it. As long as my home office is clean, I'll bring anyone up to take a look.

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also. No... Not to that point just yet...

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say? What's your addiction? Bars? Strip Clubs? Drugs? Gambling? My drug just happens to come in shiny packaging and is made of plastic. I'll never blame my habit for making me cheat on my wife, get a DUI or lose my job. Can you say the same?

13. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

) Male or female? Male

) Married? Single? Children? Single

Started collecting in 2006 with the Cybertron line

Saw an episode of the cartoon and was like "This is awesome."

I like them. I think they're cool and nifty.

Entertainment

I've recently finished purging my collection and am going to be focusing on a G1 collection. I also collect anime figures.

Loose, I like to play with my shit.

Like 5... I think. Was at 300

Not even going to try to guess

For an official Transformer: about $70
    For an anime figure: $220

No

Impulse used to drive my purchases, but recently I've tried to plan them out.

~

Mostly indifferent to the Transformers, as for the anime figures... yeah....

It's not something I really talk about.

...Why would it?

I don't tell you how to spend your money.

14. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

15. Myself.
    ) Male or female?
    Male

Been into Transformers for a while, started collecting maybe a year or two ago sadly.
    Transformers: Cybertron
    Is this a real question? Fine. I collect toys (Transformers included) because I like having things to look at and hold. Physical stuff is a big thing for me.
    Besides a lighter wallet? Hoho, not much really. Self fulfillment I suppose

I like to collect videogame memorabilia as well as Transformers.
    Loose. I can't stand having toys and not being able to play with them. That's just wrong. I never sell any of my things nor give them away, so keeping them mint is pointless for me.
    Sadly, around 13. I know, horrible, but soon I'll accumulate more, I assure you.
    hundreds, probably.
    Movie Leader Optimus, sadly. Forty bucks I think. Puny I know. I WOULD buy Bruticus, but...
    Nope. I love my toys. I don't get rid of them.
    Impulse, sadly. My whole life is run on impulse.
    Oooh yeah

my friends don't mind, and my mother hates it and says it's childish. Dad doesn't care.
    I don't give any damns when it comes to people knowing about my hobbies and likes.
    Haha, no.
    Mom, I like what I like. I don't yell at you for buying more cancer than you can fit in your mouth. (directly towards my mother, yeah.)

15. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:

) How old are you? If you are below 18, who pays for your toys? Yourself or your parents? (17 And I buy it myself)

) Male or female? (Male)

) Married? Single? Children? (single)

) When did you start collecting? Or, how long have you been collecting? (Been collecting since Transformers:RID, but I didn't seriously start it until Transformers Armada came out)

) What triggered your interest in Transformers and collecting toys? (Robots that transform into anything and be anything is awesome! Who wouldn't want toys like that?)

) For what reasons do you collect toys? (It's my interest and my hobby (Wait are those the same thing?) And the kid inside me that loves toys and transformers will always stay)

) What does collecting brings to your life? (Hmm...Joy in what I love doing)

) What do you collect exactly? List the kind of toys you collect if you have more than just Transformers. Also mention your favored generations if you have any. (Transformers, TMNT figures, Sonic 3-4inches figure)

) MISB or loose, both even? Explain why you prefer one over the other. (Both it just depends on how much of the character/toy that I liked that I would do MISB)

) Your collection count? (approximatively) (Loosely...100+ but below 150- )

) How much do you think you have spent so far on collecting Transformers? (Hmm..HArd to tell so No answer for this one)

) What was your most expensive purchase? (G2 Bruticus or soon to be?)

) Do you give much importance to your collection value or resalability? (Collection Value, I had no reason to sell my collection yet)

) Do you buy toys for your collection on impulse or is everything calculated beforehand? (I tend to go for who I like, and who is missing from a certain line..So I could say I calucate it beforehand)

) Have you ever find yourself in trouble due to spending too much money on toys or something of the like? (YESS All the time, I play my Xbox so I am a gamer and that tend to get in the way as well as collecting certain blu-ray movies that I like, and also the things that I REALLY need in life come first)

) How is your collecting habits perceived by your family and circle of friends? (My Mom, is a old school G1 fan she used to watch G1 transformers all the time every morning back in her days, and that was it..She loves G1 Optimus, and G1 Soundwave..Also my older brother collects transformers as well but he keeps them sealed in package)

) Do you feel comfortable discussing your collection to complete strangers? Or is it something you rather keep private? (Meh..I really don't talk about it I have no reason to.)

) Has your collection ever attracted the attention of tv news, newspapers or magazines? Any story pertaining to curiosity and interest shown for your collection may fit here also. (No..Not really)

) If you had one thing to say to someone who thinks you're crazy/immature for buying so many toys, what would you say? (To a non-family member I would say "It's my life..so let me do what I want with my money. Dont be concern for me, be concern for yourself" )

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

28, turning 29 on the 28th.

) Male or female?
    Male

Single

About four years ago exactly

The '07 movie reawakened my passion and nostalgia for the franchise

Nostalgia for G1, admiration of the engineering and look of stuff for post-G2 stuff tied to my own interest in whatever fiction it's tied to

A more tangible way to enjoy Transformers beyond reading the comics or watching the cartoons and films

Transformers for the most part
    Marvel Universe, but only verrrrrrrrrrrrry casually (I mostly pick up stuff when I have cash to burn and/or I see something in stores that I really like)
    A few odds and ends here and there (Ultra-Act, S.H. MonsterArts, Dawn statues, Ghost in the Shell stuff)

I prefer to buy stuff sealed but open pretty much everything. I have only three things that are still sealed, and two of them I'll open when the right upgrade set comes along.

It's passed 1900

I haven't kept track...but several thousands

Lucky Draw Galaxy Force Flame Convoy Skylynx Edition. There are only 50 of them, so it was a healthy amount, but totally worth it.

No, I have no intention of reselling anything

For the most part, the latter, the occasional impulse purchases do occur

No, I spend a lot but I don't spend recklessly

The ones that know don't care. I don't go around publicizing it though. Most everyone knows I go to Comic Con though, so it's hardly a surprise I guess.

Around strangers at Comic Con, or other nerds? Yes. Around other strangers? It's not something I advertise publicly.

No.

Imagine me buying a shitton of baseball/football cards and sports memorabilia instead. I like watching sports a great deal and used to collect baseball and football cards in high school and college, so the two are one and the same for me.

17. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Btw, I'm loving reading these! Keep 'em coming! :) 

18. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

:: ABOUT YOU! :::

) Male or female? Male

) Married? Single? Children? Nope

Recently in 2012
    Seeing Kreos and remember the toys i used to play with
    Display and fun
    admiration when looking and planning for more

Nothing specific
    Loose for now since I have newer stuff, Its too tempting to play and display them.
    8 only so far
    maybe 200 bucks
    My G1 Devastator KO reissue
    none
    both
    nope

no idea...sometimes the wife complains
    private
    nope
    Do what your heart desires and dont worry about what they think

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:

) Male or female?

Male

Married, no kids yet

I received G1 Prowl in 1984.

See above

I love the idea and the engineering.

It's a fun hobby that enjoy being a part of. I have a comic in the funnies forum that allows me to combine my interest in Transformers and my love of writing.

I mainly just collect Transformers of all generations. My favorite TF lines are Classics, Cybertron and Masterpiece. Occasionally I'll get nostalgic about a tv show I was into while growing up so I'll get some there here and there. Thundercats, TMNT, Ronin Warriors, etc.

Mostly loose because I enjoy fiddling with the toys and again, appreciating the engineering. I do have a very small handful of MISB TFs.

Just over 2000.

I don't even want to think about it. Thousands over the years. Ugh.

I think it was my Liokaiser Giftset.

It's not the sole reason I collect but I do try to take very good care of my toys in case I ever have to sell them.

I used to buy on impulse quite a bit but now that I'm not incredibly keen on Hasbro's current products it rarely happens anymore.

Thankfully no.

My parents are great. My dad always helped me put the stickers on my G1s when I was a kid so he's interested in seeing how the brand has evolved over the years. My wife is fine with my collecting as long as I can provide for us. My friends are always impressed by my display.

I don't go out of my way to talk about it but I'll have a conversation if it's brought up.

Nope.

I never spend more than I'm able to. My bills and family comes first. That's the most important thing, as long as I do that I don't see any problem in collecting as a hobby.

20. elizasteave

elizasteave Well-Known Member

I am 28, single and obviously I pay myself for the toys which I buy. I have been collecting since my childhood (and have damaged mostly of them), mostly of them are not too costly. Regarding my habit of collection, my friends and family know that I like doing all these and I rarely get any sort of poor comments for this thing.