a spontaneous sudden allergic reaction to something...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Jun 17, 2008.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

Just a while ago, i finished a load of dishes, and only moments later my hands burned and itched for about 20 minutes like they were being bitten off slowly bite by bite. Thing is, i've done the EXACT same thing every 2nd day for the last 20 years with no reaction.

i asked my room mates of they had anything new or different to eat in the last 24 hours, that may have gotten inteh dish water, but NO, there was nothing new. I've used the same dish detergents for the last 20 years, and washed the dishes with the same foods on them many times before.

with three of us living here, and using the dishes, there is a wide range of things that i may have developed this sudden allergy over. it's very scary to not know what could have caused this, from the dish soap, to any of the foods we eat. What ever it is, I WAS NOT allergic to it less than 24 hours ago.

does anybody know what this may be called so i can look it up or something?
    or has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Could there have been something in the water supply?

Hopefully you find out what caused it before it happens again. Maybe have someone else do the dishes next time to see if it happens to them?

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Did you have any milk, fish, nuts, wheat, corn, or eggs for dinner, those are common allergens. Or any sodium or chlorine getting in your tap?

Or cosmetics, latex, poison ivy, and metals? These can result in skin rashes like eczema, contact dermatitis, and hives.

Maybe ask a immunology or fibromyalgia doctor , or maybe the Fresh would know

4. vectorsigma2

vectorsigma2 Well-Known Member

might be just contact dermititis (repeated exposure to the same substance can often build up to a latent reaction)

5. Chaos Muffin

It could be that new camera you have. Ill help you out, just send it to me and you wont have any more problems

6. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Did your portions of your skin started to swell into pink blotches? If it did, then I agree with VS2 about being skin dermititis. From what I recall, anything can set off the allergic reaction. My skin would react to almost anything that touched it and it would swell in the touched areas. Your best bet would be to visit your doctor. He/she will give you something to help ease the burn/swelling.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Holy shit, somebody posted solid medical advice! Be still my beating heart!

Yeah, contact dermatitis would be high on the list of possibilities.

'Less you wanna head to a doctor, here's what you should do. Avoid washing the dishes for the next few days. Alternatively, buy a pair of those rubber dish gloves (which I just happen to have a fetish for, but that's neither here nor there) and use them.

Take some Benadryl (50 mg) when you're ready to go to bed (it'll make you sleepy). It's an antihistamine, should mitigate the allergic reaction you probably had. I think it's also available in lotion form OTC, if you can find it, put some directly on the rash also.

Give it a few days, if it hasn't improved in three or so, go to an Urgent Care-type place (be reasonably priced and much faster than a doctor's office). If it gets significantly worse before then, don't wait, just go see a doctor. If you develop other symptoms besides the rash, it'd probably be best to just go see a doctor.

There are a variety of other possible rash causes that are impossible to guess at without an exam, but the above is an appropriate initial treatment plan.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've encountered something similar just a few months back and up till today I still don't know what was the cause.

For me, it was my first case of allergy reaction and it was after eating some seafood dishes. The strange thing is that I've been eating seafood for the past 30 odd years and had no reactions prior to that.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

thanx guys, i'll be seeing a doctor about it tomorow, but to answer some questions, NO, it's not my camera, LOL

there was no visable skin reaction, other than what i felt, and the way i was reacting to the feeling, there was no sign there was anything wrong with my hands. some claritain cream calmed the feeling after about 5 minutes of application.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is the toys.. Give them to us!

11. Chaos Muffin

Might not want to , you know, for a day or so until that clears up, just to be safe :lol 

12. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Bah. I'm going through something like that. My face is tingling and it's red. I'm wondering if it's some food I ate or something.

13. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I got that once from eating pizza and discovered that I am allergic to black olives. Exact same reaction. Isn't serious though, just a slight rash reaction.

A co-worker and former boss of mine found out the hard way he was allergic to Kiwi fruit. His face swelled up like a balloon but he still came in to work. After an hour (the swelling had gone down a bit by then) he was sent home to take the day off, for he would have scared the customers, not to mention that we couldn't help but laugh every time he looked at us.
    No harm done and he was fine by the end of the day, but it was epic funny :lol 

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I remember getting an allergic reaction to girl scout cookies once, but never again after that.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Dang, Squirrelcar, it is like you do this for a living, :lol 

As for the Doctor, it is free for him to go see one, so that should be number 1...but after the first aid reaction stuff.

It still seems weird to me that you may have to put of spending money at the doctors because of the cost...

16. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Lead :lol