a spontaneous sudden allergic reaction to something...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljaxx, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. wheeljaxx

    wheeljaxx Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2002
    Posts:
    3,355
    Trophy Points:
    186
    Likes:
    +0
    Just a while ago, i finished a load of dishes, and only moments later my hands burned and itched for about 20 minutes like they were being bitten off slowly bite by bite. Thing is, i've done the EXACT same thing every 2nd day for the last 20 years with no reaction.

    i asked my room mates of they had anything new or different to eat in the last 24 hours, that may have gotten inteh dish water, but NO, there was nothing new. I've used the same dish detergents for the last 20 years, and washed the dishes with the same foods on them many times before.

    with three of us living here, and using the dishes, there is a wide range of things that i may have developed this sudden allergy over. it's very scary to not know what could have caused this, from the dish soap, to any of the foods we eat. What ever it is, I WAS NOT allergic to it less than 24 hours ago.

    does anybody know what this may be called so i can look it up or something?
    or has this ever happened to anyone else?
     
  2. Soundblaster1

    Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2004
    Posts:
    13,996
    News Credits:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    256
    Likes:
    +11
    Could there have been something in the water supply?

    Hopefully you find out what caused it before it happens again. Maybe have someone else do the dishes next time to see if it happens to them?
     
  3. Chaos Muffin

    Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    Posts:
    28,751
    Trophy Points:
    322
    Likes:
    +4
    Did you have any milk, fish, nuts, wheat, corn, or eggs for dinner, those are common allergens. Or any sodium or chlorine getting in your tap?

    Or cosmetics, latex, poison ivy, and metals? These can result in skin rashes like eczema, contact dermatitis, and hives.

    Maybe ask a immunology or fibromyalgia doctor , or maybe the Fresh would know
     
  4. vectorsigma2

    vectorsigma2 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2007
    Posts:
    148
    Trophy Points:
    56
    Likes:
    +0
    might be just contact dermititis (repeated exposure to the same substance can often build up to a latent reaction)
     
  5. Chaos Muffin

    Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    Posts:
    28,751
    Trophy Points:
    322
    Likes:
    +4
    It could be that new camera you have. Ill help you out, just send it to me and you wont have any more problems
     
  6. darkmgmstr

    darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2007
    Posts:
    1,743
    Trophy Points:
    126
    Likes:
    +0
    Did your portions of your skin started to swell into pink blotches? If it did, then I agree with VS2 about being skin dermititis. From what I recall, anything can set off the allergic reaction. My skin would react to almost anything that touched it and it would swell in the touched areas. Your best bet would be to visit your doctor. He/she will give you something to help ease the burn/swelling.
     
  7. Bryan

    Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Posts:
    9,020
    Trophy Points:
    211
    Likes:
    +0
    Holy shit, somebody posted solid medical advice! Be still my beating heart!

    Yeah, contact dermatitis would be high on the list of possibilities.

    'Less you wanna head to a doctor, here's what you should do. Avoid washing the dishes for the next few days. Alternatively, buy a pair of those rubber dish gloves (which I just happen to have a fetish for, but that's neither here nor there) and use them.

    Take some Benadryl (50 mg) when you're ready to go to bed (it'll make you sleepy). It's an antihistamine, should mitigate the allergic reaction you probably had. I think it's also available in lotion form OTC, if you can find it, put some directly on the rash also.

    Give it a few days, if it hasn't improved in three or so, go to an Urgent Care-type place (be reasonably priced and much faster than a doctor's office). If it gets significantly worse before then, don't wait, just go see a doctor. If you develop other symptoms besides the rash, it'd probably be best to just go see a doctor.

    There are a variety of other possible rash causes that are impossible to guess at without an exam, but the above is an appropriate initial treatment plan.
     
  8. LigerPrime

    LigerPrime Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2002
    Posts:
    20,574
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    322
    Likes:
    +51
    I've encountered something similar just a few months back and up till today I still don't know what was the cause.

    For me, it was my first case of allergy reaction and it was after eating some seafood dishes. The strange thing is that I've been eating seafood for the past 30 odd years and had no reactions prior to that.
     
  9. wheeljaxx

    wheeljaxx Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2002
    Posts:
    3,355
    Trophy Points:
    186
    Likes:
    +0
    thanx guys, i'll be seeing a doctor about it tomorow, but to answer some questions, NO, it's not my camera, LOL

    there was no visable skin reaction, other than what i felt, and the way i was reacting to the feeling, there was no sign there was anything wrong with my hands. some claritain cream calmed the feeling after about 5 minutes of application.
     
  10. rattrap007

    rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2002
    Posts:
    14,878
    News Credits:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    297
    Likes:
    +36
    It is the toys.. Give them to us!
     
  11. Chaos Muffin

    Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    Posts:
    28,751
    Trophy Points:
    322
    Likes:
    +4
    Might not want to , you know, for a day or so until that clears up, just to be safe :lol 
     
  12. Nutcrusher

    Nutcrusher Decepticon

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2007
    Posts:
    1,228
    News Credits:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    126
    Likes:
    +4
    Bah. I'm going through something like that. My face is tingling and it's red. I'm wondering if it's some food I ate or something.
     
  13. TrickyDisco

    TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2002
    Posts:
    5,302
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    211
    Likes:
    +1
    I got that once from eating pizza and discovered that I am allergic to black olives. Exact same reaction. Isn't serious though, just a slight rash reaction.

    A co-worker and former boss of mine found out the hard way he was allergic to Kiwi fruit. His face swelled up like a balloon but he still came in to work. After an hour (the swelling had gone down a bit by then) he was sent home to take the day off, for he would have scared the customers, not to mention that we couldn't help but laugh every time he looked at us.
    No harm done and he was fine by the end of the day, but it was epic funny :lol 
     
  14. seeker311

    seeker311 The Collector

    Joined:
    May 14, 2007
    Posts:
    9,188
    News Credits:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    197
    Likes:
    +28
    I remember getting an allergic reaction to girl scout cookies once, but never again after that.
     
  15. Team Jetfire

    Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2006
    Posts:
    5,887
    News Credits:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    232
    Likes:
    +13
    Dang, Squirrelcar, it is like you do this for a living, :lol 

    As for the Doctor, it is free for him to go see one, so that should be number 1...but after the first aid reaction stuff.

    It still seems weird to me that you may have to put of spending money at the doctors because of the cost...
     
  16. DaraRex2.0

    DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Posts:
    1,632
    Trophy Points:
    126
    Likes:
    +0
    Lead :lol 
     

Share This Page