A Speculative Character Analysis: Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TeleportingBob901, May 26, 2017.

1. TeleportingBob901

TeleportingBob901 Well-Known Member

Look @Coffee, I know he is an underdeveloped character since he is always at the sidelines. He's always been that way ever since the Transformers started. Yea, he isn't going to be the most interesting character to most people. If not all. But it just feels dismissive on the possibilities of his character, and what anyone can do with him. The analysis isn't definitive to who he is, what's going on with him, or what's wrong with his powers. It's just a personal interpretation on what his character holds. That's it. There is some evidence that holds up; awhile others not really since it's just me purely guessing. If anything my analysis is one big hypothesis. It could be wrong on some details, or it could be right. I just think he has the potential to be a fleshed out character that's more defined than my guesses alone. Yea Soundwave is a more compelling character than Skywarp, and I would love to read Soundwaves in the future for his backstory and how it unfolds. I like Soundwave as a character, too, and he is fascinating in his own right. But I find Skywarp more fun because of the possibilities and the unknown of his character. He isn't clear because he's off to the side a lot, but I love wondering on what could be and the whys behind him. I even said at the end of the analysis.
    I even point it out in the beginning, too. It ain't official; it's just me toying with the idea of Skywarp.
    Sorry that I sounded like a jerk over your response, and I could have handled mine better. I don't like it when people act dismissive over whatever it is. You can still hold to the opinion that he isn't interesting and he ain't that deep, and my analysis is pure assumptions and ain't that good either. That's fine. I shouldn't have gotten cranky over it. Are we cool?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. TeleportingBob901

TeleportingBob901 Well-Known Member

I'll give it one more crack at it. I have no problem with the rest of the post, but I do have one problem.
    ... Well no Decepticon wants to be call weak and useless, and it is universal trait to any character in TF and even in other works of fiction. But from I have seen from Skywarp when compared to the others is that he never gets anywhere in the ranks. All the other Decepticons have started from the bottom and they fought for their positions because they have the skills, talents, experience, and personality for it. Starscream and Soundwave are great examples on why they're in these ranks.
    Skywarp on the other hand doesn't have what it takes to be either Third or Second in Command, even when he thinks he deserve it after everything he did for his Commander. It's because of his general bio and flaws that stops him from going anywhere and being more than just a grunt. So let me play devil's advocate for Bombshell for a moment here and say he's right about Skywarp in issue 6 of AHM. He is weak and scared, and he wants to feel he's better than everyone else. But he isn't superior to them at all; he's painfully average when compared to his fellow Decepticons even to his own friend Thundercracker. He's just a thug, a grunt, a solider, a follower to the others, and he is in a position of being replaceable if he were to die. While Starscream, Soundwave, the Combaticons, and the Constructicons are irreplaceable in the faction if something were to happen to them. Skywarp just wants the same amount of respect that Soundwave and the others get, and he tries. He really does, but he never left the starting line since one day when he joined with the Decepticons. From the mini-series where he's a more prominent villain; a force to be reckoned while hunting for weapons and parts for an EMP device in human military bases. So when you have a character who not only wants to kill off the Autobots with one fell swoop, but he also says this while hunting Bumblebee down and taunting him in the final issue of said mini-series. “Megatron is returning. And when he arrives, he needs to be ready to fight. To take back his rightful place- ruling the galaxy. And when he sees who has given him the weapons to do so- it will be me at his right hand, not Starscream. Not Soundwave.” You have a character that has this untapped potential where they have a lot going for them than previously thought. Even when he starts from scratch with G.I. Joe, well, he's no better than they are even though he's a valuable asset to them. He's also more prominent in there too, but he never catches a break. All characters don't catch a break, but they aren't as bad Skywarp. So when Galvatron escapes the Earth, Skywarp goes to the EDC to Bikini Atoll for repairs, but then Dire Wraiths attacks the base and the Joes have to get him out of there. Well.
    Yea, that.
    He's a character that worked hard for the Decepticons, but he didn't go anywhere while he was there. Yes, ever since TF first came out he was the grunt of the Decepticons and nothing else. He was always off to the side because he's a minor character, but he seems more than just a minor character in the comics. That's why I think he's a compelling character because you have all this material for him and what he went through, and you have a basic idea on who he is. He is worth exploring and fleshing out, and I had fun toying with and theorizing his character. There is a lot potential for Skywarp to grow and develop, and I think putting him in G.I. Joe with a cast of characters that Sitterson picked out is a good call. I enjoy his take on the characters, and I simply want to see what happens next with not only Skywarp but with the rest of the G.I. Joe team members.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017