A Speculative Character Analysis: Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TeleportingBob901, May 26, 2017.

1. TeleportingBob901

TeleportingBob901 Well-Known Member

Let's talk about Skywarp, most notably from the IDW comics. (I was confused as to where to post this thread: Transformers General or Transformers Comics Discussions. I'm putting this here to be safe.)

I find the IDW universe for the Transformers interesting, and it did make these characters that I never knew or cared for actually stand out as their own. It's really good writing when you take a character that didn't have a lot traits in the beginning and expanding on them to be more than where they started. Even the original Seeker trine do stand out as their own characters. What does this have to do with Skywarp?

Well I do find him to be a more intriguing character than Thundercracker and Starscream, and I was thinking about posting my old character analysis of him if any of you are interested. But it is rough around the edges, so I will be fixing that up and that's going to take some time. Until then I'll give out the basic run down of it.

Skywarp is a fascinating character because you don't know a lot about him in his entirety, yet you can still infer a lot about him through his actions, dialogue, and the way he acts around other characters to speculate who he is. From what I gather he's a character that wants to be part of a group to feel important, and yet he acts distant to the others at the same time. It's a bit weird I know, but I think there is a reason for it but it's mostly guessing at this point. He hates being called worthless which causes him to lash out. He does show Outlier qualities because of his teleportation, and I also think his problems with it are more of psychosomatic issue than a physical problem. Skywarp has an interesting relationship with Thundercracker. I think Thundercracker is the only person that Skywarp can call a friend/brother and is pretty close to him. Until Thundercracker's betrayal that made Skywarp turn him on.

That's just the basics. What do you think? I like to know.

Update: So far it's going along well, and I hope to finish it somewhere in two or three days for the draft. I just need to finish it up, give it a thorough editing, and I think I'll be good to go then. I hope you guys enjoy it once it's done.

Update 2: I've finished the draft for the analysis! I need a break, and I'll come back to it later. I'll have a fresh mind to read it over; see what I've miss and for any errors that I didn't noticed.

Update 3: Well that took longer than I expected. I edited my first draft, it's mostly scarping parts and fixing the order of different points, and I'm still in the process of editing it for anything like basic grammar and see if there were any other points I might have missed. It's going to be in a separate post in the thread under spoilers, and I'm going to give it the finishing touches 'til than. I'm aiming somewhere around the first full week of July; hopefully I'll get it out sooner than that. Thank you for your patience; if anyone will see it but thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Started out as one of the early founding Decepticons, nowadays he's just a grunt. I imagine he has a lot of self esteem issues. I think he regrets his life choices, but not in the same way as Thundercracker. Rather I think he regrets not being more assertive like Starscream, and all he really wanted was to be a respected loyalist officer on par with Soundwave.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TeleportingBob901

EDIT: Y'know ever time I look what I write I see the mistakes, and I keep fixing them just to find more. I was never the best at editing, but I try anyway. Well this time its an entire paragraph in the speculative analysis. It's not that I missed something, but I didn't enjoy Rock 'n Roll's paragraph as I looked over it again. I was having a tough time trying to do a comparison with his character since the 2016 G.I. Joe comics were first coming out. As the issues came out I started to get a better idea on who, so at the end I think he's more like Skywarp upon a closer inspection.

Guess what? I finished it.

Hey I just wanted to give a quick thank you to you guys for giving my character analysis of Skywarp a chance. I did write a piece like this before, but after looking over it I wasn't happy with it like I once was. So, I decided to rewrite it and give it a better and fresh coat of paint with more effort behind it. I thought I bring in something different to share, and I hope it was a good read for anyone out there. Thanks for stopping by!

There are a handful of characters in the Transformers IDW comics I do enjoy, and the original Seekers are no exception. I like seeing where Thundercracker and Starscream are going with their current developments, but I have to say these two aren't the most interesting of characters. No that would go to Skywarp in my opinion. Skywarp is an oddly underdeveloped character when compared to everyone else; well on the surface that is. There might be more to his character then originally thought. He might actually be more layered than Thundercracker and Starscream. Keep in mind Skywarp's past or any snippet of it has never been talked about in the comics. And yet he can still accomplish being this compelling character without having one; however, I don't think anyone has come up with it yet. So I'll be discussing his teleportation power, how it's being affected, and it seems more like the problem is psychosomatic, his relationships to some notable characters, and present a common theme to Skywarp's character: control or lack there of. I'm still getting into the IDW comics though. I've only read volumes one and two of the ExRobots in Disguise, some past Spotlight comics. I did read some of All Hail Megatron online, but I rather have a physical copy with all the issues together, and I did read the first volume of More than Meets the Eye. I have also been reading the 2016 G.I. Joe comics as they come out, and they're actually really good. I had to dig for past issues and story lines I haven't read, so I may have spoiled myself on some of it. It doesn't stop me from reading them though. Lastly the analysis will have some personal interpretations and speculations. I dug further into the canon of the comics, examined the context and subtext of present and past stories as much I can to properly discuss his character.

Skywarp does demonstrate Outlier abilities, his only and main one is teleportation. The reason why I'm calling this an Outlier ability is that you have to ask yourself this one question. Why would he have teleportation if he can transform into a jet and fly? It feels out of place. And that's the key word. Out of place. In fact it seems as though he was always been treated as someone who was some sort of outcast. This is, again, because Skywarp's backstory has never been mentioned in the comics. But the sense of being an outsider is still in the air. In fact Outliers are a direct homage to the X-Men comics. A very small handful of characters are canoned to be Outliers in the comics; such as Soundwave, Windcharger, Mindwipe, Tailgate, Skids, and Tailbreaker to name a few. Skywarp hasn't been noted as one in the comics; which I find strange. But I guess it does make sense not to say anything because we don't know if he's forged or constructed cold. I assume he was forged to explain his power. And yet his control over his power is strange in of itself, and there is an emerging pattern. I do have a theory that his control is based on how stressed out he is, and his life motto seems to point at that very direction. "Don't think. Just do it"(Megatron Origin issue 4.) Here's a brief run down on what happened in Transformers: ExRobots in Disguise in issue 15. It all begins where Skywarp starts experiencing problems with his teleportation, and this is because he got stabbed by Arcee in the chest while in mid-warp in the middle of a battle. After getting stabbed he tries to stay together as the fight dies out. But at the end of issue 16 Starscream wins the people of Iacon over, and he makes a proclamation. He proclaims that if the members of both the Autobots and Decepticons do not renounce their factions, then they will be forced into exile. This is where his control over his power gets worse from learning about the exile. Many people would think that Arcee stabbing him while he in the middle of warping could be the source of his problem. She may have damaged an important part for his teleportation. I thought so too, but it doesn't seem to be the case upon further examination. This is all based on first impressions, but upon closer inspection there's actually more going on. You see there were two instances where he took damage in the same spot, the chest. They were in issue 5 of Infiltration and in Transformers: Bumblebee issue 4 when they happened.

In issue 5 of Infiltration Skywarp and Blitzwing were ordered by Starscream to destroy any traces of past Decepticon activities. The two of them set off, but they hit a bit of a snag along the way. You see one of the bunkers they destroyed had Megatron in them, and now he's climbing out of the rubble seething in rage. When they found out Skywarp got shot at while pleading it was a mistake. It even went right through him, and yet they managed to fix him up after that. He should have been dead after getting shot at, and this was a fusion cannon. You might be thinking that they fixed his systems, and it also includes his teleportation. Have you read any other character that has his ability in the IDW comics? Ancient Cybertron had invented space bridge technology for their Titans for instantaneous space travel, but it became a lost piece of technology until it was rediscovered during the war. Then dive into modern era Cybertron, somewhere pre-war, where they created quantum jump generators for space travel, but they weren't as fast a space bridge though. Then there is the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero IDW universe where apparently Cobra has teleportation tech. In the shared universe they still have it. You argue that he had a piece of that technology installed in him to be able to teleport. Have you seen the size of these quantum generators? Simply being near one while it's in use is going to kill him by getting stuck in one. Plus space bridge technology was rediscovered and reinvented by Jhiaxus until it was stolen by Sixshot, and he traded it with Megatron. Skywarp could already teleport without having a node from a Metrotitan installed into him to do it. He does have his limits when it comes to space travel, and even when warping to one location to another he's going to get exhausted eventually. The exhaustion could be caused from how far the next location is, keeping in mind not to crash or to get stuck anywhere, the number of times he teleports, and the number and size of the people he's taking with him. Despite these limits Skywarp's power does have some use for other people. I'll get to that when discussing about the central theme. Now the next one will blow the idea that his teleportation problems can be easily fixed.

The fourth and final issue of Transformers: Bumblebee takes place in a chase for a piece of an EMP device that Skywarp was building. The scene plays out at an old, abandoned factory site as Bumblebee tries to get away from Skywarp. While it happens Lieutenant Klonowski brings a rocket launcher with him to try to slow down Skywarp. There's actually a video for this scene on Youtube. Bear with me because the video has background music and sound effects, but I thought it was okay. It does make it less dull to read along in the video since, y'know, it's a video. Do something with it. Not sayin' it's bad, but I do actually want to read it in the future.

Did you notice that he isn't becoming incorporeal, and his teleportation hasn't been hinder in any way to the point where he can't use it? I know the IDW continuity gets a little weird here and there from what I've heard, but there is something more to Skywarp's control and problems with his power than we realized. From what I noticed from the last two incidents when compared to the third is his current attitudes and how controllable the current situation is. It seems as though as long as he has some concrete form of confidants; whether it's a single-minded goal or simply following orders, he seems fine for the most part. But with the way ExRiD and later comics are playing out it seems that anything that was once concrete for him is slowly crumbling away. The war is over, everybody is either trying to move on, they're dead, or they're causing trouble, and what they have been fighting for isn't what it used to be after four million years have gone by. In a way Skywarp is trying to take in everything that's happening all at once, and he created a burden for himself in the process by doing so. This amount of overthinking is bound to cause it to breakdown. Look everyone is different when it comes to handling stress. Some people will show it, while others won't. Skywarp isn't the type to talk about what's wrong with him or let anyone see his internal problems coming out. So when everything is changing, and he has no control over what's going on. Eventually it's going to show up in some other form; such as becoming incorporeal. It does remind me of the Teen Titans episode, "Fear Itself", where the team defeats Control Freak, and Beast Boy rents a horror movie. After they watched the film most of the team admit they were scared watching it; except for Raven. This is where the rest of the episode goes with the monsters from the movie appearing and capturing the majority of the party; except for Raven, again. We see she can't use her powers for the majority of the episode. She had to face the fact she was afraid but it didn't mean she couldn't fight back. We learn why she couldn't use them at the end of the episode. Her fears from watching the movie were manifested through her powers. This is an example on a character losing their powers and finding out why. Although there is another way for she to loses her powers, but that's besides the point. With Skywarp there is no obvious answer to what's wrong with him. Nothing is clear with Skywarp based on first impressions alone. This is where my theory comes into play with him becoming incorporeal, and how he's showing signs that are close to something psychosomatic.

There is some evidence that shows that it's more of the mind then a physical problem that can be fixed. I did find several websites and videos that listed the symptoms of different psychosomatic disorders and, yes, he does show a few of the same signs listed. Skywarp has shown the following symptoms in seasons 1 and 2 of ExRiD and The Transformers. They are vision changes (blurry vision), shortness of breath, pain, dizziness, and weakness. I personally think the EDC saw nothing wrong with him when he willingly came to them for help. As they reverse engineered his weapons for themselves, and they gave him a new frame all at Bikini Atoll before the Dire Wraiths attacked. During the procedures they just couldn't find anything wrong. But does anyone have the time to argue with an ex-Decepticon? Not really. So when you examine what has happen so far you can't help but see why it has come to this. Y'know it would be something to learn that when Skywarp discovered his power it was through being stressed. Then over time he had found other ways to control it. Now the thing that caused him to discover his power in the first place is now the thing that took it away. Now in terms of relationships, that could also affect him too. I'll explain.

Skywarp and his relationships are strange. It's because at the same time he wants to be part of a group, but he seems to stay distant from people at the same time. It seems he never had the greatest of luck with people, and he finds himself in terrible relationships (mostly friendships or looking up to leadership types). In someway his much older encounters before the war have molded his perception on what he thinks how a relationship should and shouldn't work. I'll discuss this matter further in his core theme. But his relationships with some of the more notable characters have some substance to properly discuss why that is. It can also help further cement what's going on in his head upon a closer look. Plus, consider what Starscream told Metalhawk about how the Decepticons, even the best of them, actually view each other back in issue 7 of ExRiD. So really he isn't alone on this one but it could be for a different reason for his distance. "Even the best Decepticons aren't exactly 'brothers'. And, sir, I was never the best of Decepticons". We'll look at the following characters: Megatron, Galvatron, Soundwave, Starscream, Thundercracker, and Rock 'n Roll.

For the longest time, since the beginning, Skywarp has feared but respected Megatron as leader of the Decepticons. There were times where he thought Megatron had lost it, but they were few and far in between. Megatron does have passion with his beliefs which turns into violence. This became his eventual regret which made him change sides as the Dark Cybertron comes to its conclusion. In which Skywarp lost all respect for him after the arc and the trial at Luna 2. Before all that he wanted to become more important than where he was at in the ranks. He didn't want to stay as the thug of the faction because of his unique ability, and he has done so much to try to prove it to him. Back in the final issue of Transformers: Bumblebee our titular character, and protagonist, runs from Skywarp until he can figure out what to do with the last component of the EMP device. Although the following quote from Skywarp uncovers this seemingly single minded goal to be something more. "Megatron is returning. And when he arrives, he needs to be ready to fight. To take back his rightful place- ruling the galaxy. And when he sees who has given him the weapons to do so- it will be me at his right hand, not Starscream. Not Soundwave". Now when it comes to Soundwave and Starscream they can wait because there is a lot to talk about. Megatron probably had a reason for choosing these two over Skywarp as either Second or Third in Command. But here is a problem that Skywarp has. He's a follower. He'll do whatever he's told. He tries not to question it too much. And while he is effective; he's not a great fighter. He doesn't hold up very well against someone who will always find a way to stop them. This also includes someone who is half his size that can take him out through quick thinking alone. Yes Megatron wants people to be loyal to him. He does see Skywarp as a valued member of the Decepticons, and he does have the passion for it. His main issue is he wants someone who can make suggestions and improve their plans. Someone who has a larger array of skills than just a soldier for the position of Second or Third in Command. He doesn't want someone who is a yes-man all the time, and someone who lacks these extra and necessary skills to be in that position. He could have saw an average mech who happen to teleport, but there was nothing else that stuck out for him to choose him over the others. Skywarp is just a soldier for the faction. He doesn't think in terms of what Megatron needs; he just thinks in terms on what he thinks Megatron wants. That's not good enough for him. He needs more than that. That is part of the reason why Megatron picked Soundwave and Starscream over Skywarp. Ever since what happened back in the Dark Cybertron arc; I don't think he'll look at Megatron the same way again. Skywarp moved on with his loyalties to someone else.

As far as Skywarp is concern he has no respect for Galvatron for not only using and lying to him, but using and lying to everyone else for his own selfish purposes. Galvatron couldn't keep the faction together, and he didn't care about anyone but himself. He tried giving Galvatron a chance when they left Cybertron for Earth. He waited for him to get around to fixing him so he can get out of the machine which made him stable, and destroying the Autobot with some human allies. It doesn't work out that way at all. The reason why these problems even arise in the first place is because Galvatron comes from a different time in Cybertron's history; where the word Decepticon wasn't invented yet. He thought it meant the group was a bunch of lairs and manipulators to achieve their goals just like him. He didn't know the full story behind why the faction has the name since he was dead for a long time. Although he was pulled out of the Dead Universe with Nova Prime through Megatron's space bridge node, and Shockwave was the one who did this before he died. But that's besides the point. Most of the readers know where the name came from, but here's a short explanation for those who don't know. The word Decepticon came from a rallying cry that people graffitied on the walls of buildings in a few different city states. "You are being deceived" was the cry that Megatron came up with, and it has been part of the faction ever since. Going back on track, as Skywarp's patience grows thinner in and out of the machine in the Nemesis. He starts to see a different side of Galvatron as he stays with the Decepticons longer, and he later becomes disillusion with the new leader; not the cause itself. He was reluctant to leave until he saw that Galvatron was willing to compromise his own values, such as Cybertronian purity, to achieve his goals. This is what makes him leave for good and joins with the humans so they can fix his teleportation. Moreover Galvatron dies at Jupiter as he escapes Earth using Astrotrain and is chased by Arcee, Optimus Prime, and Soundwave. Although it does showcase that Skywarp does have a sense of integrity.

His views on Soundwave are that of envy, but he can see the flaws in him. Such as being too idealistic, and he tends to turn a blind eye of the atrocities of the Decepticons. Aside from these flaws, what made Soundwave a better choice of being Third in Command and a Communications Officer? It's rare to see Soundwave get angry or snap at anyone, and he does lay out suggestions for Megatron's plans and follows them through. He tries not to let his personal biases get the better of him, and he has a higher rate of success than most people. Here's one that shows why Soundwave is the right-hand man here, and it is because he once worked for Senator Ratbat when he once had a humanoid body. Soundwave hated what Ratbat stood for, but he still got the job and did his work. Plus, he got a tape-deck player built in him to carry cassettes for recording purposes. Until the day when Ratbat's body was ruined beyond repair but the spark and brain module survived, so Soundwave decided a good replacement for him. A body of a bat that transforms into a cassette tape. This was all done because Megatron thought the Senate wasn't taking them seriously enough, and Soundwave turned on Ratbat at this point when it happened. Soundwave knows what it's like to work in a section of the government, and this is an advantage that Megatron needs. Skywarp, as far as we know, probably hasn't been in a section of the Council or even in the Senate before. Again this shows he is merely a soldier in the Decepticons. Another thing that makes Soundwave a better choice is his own Outlier ability. His power is his heighten sense of hearing. It's so sensitive he can hear other people's thoughts. No one would notice he would be listening in on their thoughts alone. Nobody would know until it's too late. His powers do require control preferably having focus. Soundwave in the beginning had no control over this, and he was homeless because of it. He was on the edge of insanity because of these outside intrusive thoughts. Until he met Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, and Ravage for the first time on the streets. They saw and learned he was a decent guy who was carrying a heavy burden alone. Ravage decides to help Soundwave with gaining better control his ability. Overtime they became really close and saw each other as equals since then. Skywarp's power makes a particular noise every time he uses it. Y'know the one. "Vop!" Unless they're an ear shot away, it can be pretty sneaky and no one would notice in the mist of chaos. Unless he faces someone who's part of a sub-group of Autobots who face this level of madness or beyond it every time. Oh wait! Another thing with Skywarp's power is that his control doesn't require a lot of thinking. He just does it with no real thought. Again this is what he told Thundercracker when they first joined with the Decepticons. "Don't think. Just do it." I already covered how this type of control could work where there is something concrete about his decisions, be it life choices or actions, and the outside forces aren't too terrible to handle. If they are concrete he doesn't have to think about it too much. If it isn't solid enough he'll start to overthink and stress out over them. I will explain how it all ties in with the overall theme of his character. Soundwave, despite his flaws, is a good choice for being Third in Command.

When it comes to Starscream I personally think Skywarp does tolerate him to an extent, but overtime Skywarp starts to hate the guy for what he has become. Starscream only serves himself to accomplish anything, and he has no exact loyalties to anybody. But there was a time when Starscream did have a sense of loyalty back in Kaon; where it all started for the three of them. Starscream long ago once looked up to Megatron, and he was a big fan of the gladiatorial games. He wanted to join in because there were two choices that Starscream knew would happen in his current position. Either he would be the first to die in combat, or he would rot in the barracks during peace times. Starscream's view on his life wasn't any good before the war, so he took Thundercracker and Skywarp along if they were up to. Until he learned about Megatron's political views, and he offers them to join with the Decepticons since he needed flyers. This isn't what Starscream had in mind, but it didn't matter with him because he was working with Megatron. He was fine with it for a good time, and he even offered advice and things to improve Megatron to fight. Such as stealing a fusion cannon for him after killing almost of all of the Senate to escape their imprisonment. Although that was done on purpose because Megatron thought the Senate wasn't taking the Decepticons all that seriously. Starscream did this for him because he noticed that Megatron uses his right side a lot, and so Starscream thought this would help him out. That was all back in Megatron Origin issues 2 through 4, but time has its ways to change a person. Starscream, well he did have a bit of an abrasive personality when you first met him, he went from someone who believed in the Decepticons cause to someone who only serves himself because of his disillusionment to the cause. Over the course of four million years he saw Megatron's moral integrity degrade away; well what's left of it. This created a complicated relationship with these two since they started to despise each other, but they strangely do well together when they're in battles. We also learn he has become a mess because of it. But the one thing never changed in Starscream, well too much that is, is his abrasive personality. His very presence and tone of voice gives attention that you need to listen to him; because he might be onto something. He can manipulate some people to an extent. He is also at odds with Megatron's plans as time went on, and so he acts a counter to their commander even though he takes the frontal blows of these punishments because of his traitorous behavior. Skywarp, again, does not have this in the level that Starscream is at. Skywarp does show the level of loyalty to their commander as much as Starscream once did, but he doesn't have offer anything new to him to improve or argue any of Megatron's plans when there are clear flaws in them. Once again Skywarp is thinking in terms in what he think Megatron wants; not what he needs. Also nobody takes him that seriously anyway, and he tends to get brushed off to the side because of it. Starscream, well he can be selfish, does offer two of these things for Megatron.

The relationship between Skywarp and Thundercracker is a mystery when it comes to their history, but it was obvious that these two were close. I do enjoy their interactions, and even when they're separated. I love seeing these entirely different sides of them after the war, and it gives them a new layer. It does make one wonder more about the details of their relationship and they first met. Seeing Thundercracker being this naive dork who prefers his quite life whenever he can is actually a breath of fresh air. It doesn't erase the fact that Thundercracker is still a smart and fast guy. He still makes an excellent warrior. Its just that he prefers to stay out of conflict. Ever since from the beginning there was always this underlining regret he had since he joined the faction. He questioned their actions and decisions, but he has never done anything to leave the group for a long time. Skywarp is always the one to notice this, and he tries to fix the problem by either reassurance or try to get Thundercracker to talk to him. These two are usually there for each other, but there was always that sense of distance between them. It's not as bad with everybody else but it's there. Even though there was that air of distance between them; I found myself thinking about what these two saw in each other in the first place. On top of that I began to wonder if Thundercracker was the only person that Skywarp could be genuine with. It could be Skywarp saw Thundercracker as his only real friend and brother because of some past, unhealthy relationships he was once in, or maybe he couldn't make any strong bonds of his unusual talent. That all changes for Thundercracker and Skywarp in issue 12 of All Hail Megatron; where Thundercracker has had enough of this. He doesn't think of himself as a traitor for doing this, but he was doing what he thought was the right thing to do. Especially when it came to a nuke that was going to kill not only the Autobots, but also the humans who live in New York City. From what he believed Decepticons are suppose to be honorable warriors forged through combat. They were not suppose to fight people who can't defend themselves. He goes up and redirects the nuke to destroy it. Guess what? Skywarp saw this all happen. Skywarp's answer to Thundercracker's actions is teleport after him, start berating him, and shooting him in the face. He doesn't look at him too kindly after the issue, so seeing Thundercracker doing better than he is years later isn't helping. I assumed he thought he was dead for a long time until he saw him again, and seeing that he's doing better without him makes it worse. This is someone that Skywarp honestly put his time and attention for. Maybe he saw Thundercracker was different compared to other people he's met in the past. He gave him his trust and thoughts to create that close bond they had, and now it seemed like a waste to him after everything they went through. Not only did he see it as a betrayal to the Decepticons but it might have been a personal betrayal to him overall. The funny thing with Thundercracker is that he can still say something nice about Skywarp. This tidbit of information was mentioned by Marissa Faireborn in the second season of ExRiD in issue 30 as she was ordering him to get the other Decepticons out of the area. "Your idiot friend Thundercracker told me you were something special. But you aren't any better at being a super robot than he is at writing screenplays". I find this admirable of Thundercracker that after all these years being away from him. He doesn't hate him or hold any grudges against him, and he probably sees that Skywarp is special in his entirety. Be it his powers and who he is and what's underneath the surface. He knows he can't stay mad at him forever, and he tries to move on from it.

Skywarp doesn't care about his current human teammates in G.I. Joe all that much, but he does have some respect for Scarlett and Salvo. And that's about it. He complains about everybody else. Although he does have a few reasons to stay, but they can wait. But the one relationship that even the writer points out is weird is between him and Rock 'n Roll, or Craig S. McConnel. I do enjoy their interactions and exchanges for the most part, and they do make good foils for each other. But why? Why is it important to talk about them? Rock 'n Roll is becoming a more interesting character as of late, and I enjoy where Sitterson is taking him. I never watched or read anything that was G.I. Joe related until several months ago, and I greatly enjoy the cast so far. While I was examining his character I noticed some common traits that he has when comparing Skywarp. They both get arrogant, shy, they're cunning but naive. These two you would want on your side because they are effective, and they get the job done. They're loyal, and they both have a sense of integrity. I think that Skywarp does tolerate him, but in a way where he doesn't want to be too close to him at the same time. But why is that? As I stated before Rock 'n Roll demonstrates Skywarp's qualities; so in turn Rock 'n Roll is almost like a mirror to him. He sees himself in a human of all people; someone who gets impulsive and makes mistakes also. Rock 'n Roll needs reassurance and someone to talk about what's going on in his mind at the moment, or else it'll start to fester and it will find another way out. He does stand as his own character perfectly well, but it's intriguing to see his qualities in Skywarp, a barely reformed villain. I mean come on. It's not like he's going to turn into a hellish beast through Dire Wraith magic. Oh wait; it actually did happen. Rock, no! But before all that, he never grasped on why Rock 'n Roll is so willingly to be kind to people even though some, Grand Slam mainly, will hold a grudge to just rub it in. Although, Rock 'n Roll was the one that caused him to become paralyzed from the waist down in the first place. Yes Rock 'n Roll is angry with himself and is still full of guilt, but he forces himself to be a nice guy, and he doesn't become a jerk to the others because of it. It seems Skywarp wishes things to be simpler and more clear cut for him to fix, or maybe to explain and move on, when it come to life and the hardships that it offers. Which could explain why Skywarp keeps demanding for his power to be fixed. It's not like he's going to accept he has some internal conflicts to solve anytime soon. Rock 'n Roll on the other hand knows that life is a complicated mess, and sometimes he has to roll with the punches and keep going. Their differences shine through when it comes to why they handle their problems the way they do. Skywarp in some sense doesn't want to be viewed as weak and vulnerable to anybody, and this causes him to bottle it all up for no one else to see. While Rock 'n Roll doesn't want the others to worry about him since they're his own problems he has to deal with them. He knows it's not their fault, and he's not going to take it out on them. He knows the rest of the team doesn't hate him, but he can't help but think about that very possibility. Unless he turns into a hell spawn through Dire Wraith dark magic then they're all screwed. It's just that he doesn't want to make it worse than it already is when he tries to fix it. This is actually quite commendable of Rock 'n Roll, and this why he has become one of my favorite characters in G.I. Joe so far. When it comes to Skywarp and Rock 'n Roll not only do I see them as great foils, but they do parallel each other perfectly. I would to see this explored and examined. Where they form a friendship, a brotherly bond because of their parallels.

That's all the relationships I can mention at the top of my head. I did also see some changes in Skywarp since he left the Decepticons. He is actually stating more of his opinions on the current matters in G.I. Joe. Yeah he's a jerk about it, but he's trying not to be too much of a follower since he's part of a team now. Another thing I noticed is that he's actually giving something that Scarlett needs to hear; not what she wants to hear. That's pretty amusing to see that happen after the G.I. Joe Revolution one-shot comic. Although there is this recurring theme with Skywarp that I have come to notice, and it does tie in with his power and relationships; both past and present.

Sometimes characters will have a central theme to them when examining their stories. If I were to give Skywarp a theme it would be about control and how it starts to wane overtime. From the previous main examples, teleportation and relationships, Skywarp is losing control over different aspects of his life. He thought he had things in order once he joined with the Decepticons and had Thundercracker by his side, but over time things break and collapse. The reason being is because of outside forces beyond his control. The people lose interest, and they want to leave from either regret or changing worldviews. Case in point Thundercracker has had this long standing regret of joining with the Decepticons, and he does something that they would never approve of. Skywarp tries to kill him over this back on Earth in the AHM story line. The Decepticons start to lose their numbers because most of them are either dead, or they moved on with their lives. Or at least they try to. Both the Autobots and Decepticons get sent into exile by Starscream because they wanted to stay in their factions, and Skywarp goes with them. Over time they're back to being a small group with human allies once back on Earth, but even their alliance with them doesn't last long. This is in part of the poor choices from their new leader, Galvatron, before he dies by Optimus Prime on Jupiter. During these events and major changes Skywarp starts losing control over his own power, and over time his control gets worse. He starts to become incorporeal after getting stabbed, and it's a pain to use it in large groups or even for one person. Later, as the Revolution event approached, he gets a new frame from the EDC as they looked him over for his weapons and a way to fix his current problem. But, as I theorized, they couldn't find anything wrong and the next best thing was to tell him that he couldn't teleport at the moment. In a way his control over his power could symbolize his state of mind in the present. As his mind fills up with the stress of the situation, his growing sense of inadequacy, and the status quo changing he seems to become more faded, but he forces himself to stay together. He starts to overthink in a larger scale once the war finally ended to put it simply. He becomes not only as a detriment to other people, but he is also a detriment to himself with his own unsolved issues.

His relationships have suffered the same problems; people move on and they change, for better or for worse. He can't do anything with people since they are their own individuals with different thoughts and opinions. As I briefly stated back in his relationships with the more important characters, he may have been part of some unhealthy relationships before the war. This is just a hypothesis but worthy of scrutiny. I would have to guess that he keeps ending up with these leadership type relations where he ends up being used, or he tries to please them in someway and it goes underappreciated. With Megatron it was bearable because at least he bothers to listen to his troops once and while; despite committing horrible atrocities in the universe. Galvatron on the other hand, while a smart and independent mech, doesn't care about what his troops do, and he'll eventually toss them aside after they finished their usefulness. I find this bizarre how Skywarp disregards what Soundwave and Thundercracker are trying to tell him on a couple of different instances. Back in issue 49 of The Transformers Soundwave was trying to reason with him as Galvatron invaded the EDC base for Garrison Blackrock for the Onyx Code. Skywarp in the end has had enough of being the pack mule and leaves for Shanghai, China for the Ark-7 with Galvatron. In AHM issue 12 Thundercracker was trying to reason with Skywarp about why he stopped the nuke before getting shot at in the face. It's seems he has too much going on in his mind to be properly reasoned with. The only thing he can control when it comes to people is giving his attention, time, and how he outwardly emotes towards others. He doesn't have the skills to manipulate people like Starscream, but it could be he prefers not to lie and coerce others into doing something for him. You see Skywarp goes quiet on the spot whenever someone lies, compromises, or even tries to get under his skin with his personal insecurities. It could be anything that the context and the scene itself greatly affect him to the point where he becomes silent. In fact there are time where the readers aren't allowed to look at him in the eyes when it does happens, or even sometimes when he's talking, but there's more going on here based on the way he speaks. I have found three examples of this happening from three separate artists that have done this. I will not include screenshots where the shading would make sense depending on the light source.
    [​IMG]
    (Issue 6 of AHM.)
    (EDIT#???: The site isn't letting me see the image, so I'll just link the website for it. It's the scene where Skywarp is sending a radio signal to Megatron at night.
    (Issue 2 of Transformers: Bumblebee.)
    [​IMG]
    (Issue 53 of The Transformers: AHO Part 4.)
    I grew more curious when I first looked further into this and started asking myself. Why? Why are we not allowed to look at his eyes? I want to know what is going on in his head. What kind of thoughts and emotions are going through his mind that we're not allowed to see? I want to know because as the metaphor goes, "The eyes are the windows to the soul." So why are his thoughts closed off from the readers? It could be as I mentioned before how he doesn't want people to see him as weak and vulnerable. Maybe the reason why his eyes are being covered up is because he's in a state of vulnerability. From the three images listed we're not allowed to see the eyes of someone experiencing different degrees of weakness. The eyes of having all the right buttons pushed. From what Bombshell said is all true to Skywarp; about who he is and why he does these things. The eyes of holding on to vain hope and speaking in semi-purple prose for Megatron to hopefully hear and come back. But there is another possibility to Skywarp that he'll never come back, and this thought festers in the corner of his mind. Finally, looking into the eyes of someone witnessing Galvatron so willing to go against his own beliefs for his own goals. Skywarp then realizes that the only reason why he was so willing to follow him was because it was all purely out of desperation. The desperation to be and feel whole once more, but he has unwittingly become Galvatron's pawn for personal conquest. This is where he decides to finally leave it behind. What really boils down for the last amount control that Skywarp has all comes down to him. The way he interacts with the characters, how he shows and speaks his mind to them, and who to give his trust and time to is up to him. Relationships and powers are a no go for the time being. He doesn't want to form any friendships or brotherly bonds to anyone after feeling the burn of past relationships; be it real or something he imagined because of those past relationships had a lasting effect on him. He doesn't have his powers under control; in fact he doesn't have them at all at the moment. I think the reason why he stays with the Joes is because we must ask once more. Where else can he go? No one has helped him when he needed it, and he has nowhere to go if he does leave. He doesn't have anyone he wants to see because his relationships are in a state of shambles. That's why he chooses to stay with them. He has nothing but himself if he leaves them, and that is the only thing he has left. Himself. He is his own master; no one else can control what he thinks and feels about anything, or even how he emotes to other people. But- what happens when his walls, his strong and prideful facade, also starts to fall apart? Then what? If anything it shows another layer to his character; someone who has gone through hell and back one too many times and doesn't have the best of luck with people, but he still remains here and continues on despite it all.

In conclusion, Skywarp is an intriguing character with untapped potential waiting to come out. He has become my favorite character because of it, and I view him quite differently since then. His character is an utter mystery to most people based on first impressions alone. With Starscream and Thundercracker they are a little more clear cut about who they are, and the internal and external conflicts they face. You see how Starscream feels like he's failing himself in being Cybertron's new leader. You see Starscream having no hope in himself to change after everything he went there. He does want peace for his planet, but the way he's going around it to accomplishing it is insane. You see how Thundercracker changes and develops as he goes from being a hermit to being a little social and being this dork who wants to write stories. He even has a dog named Buster, and he is protective of his animal companion and hell-fire will rain down if anything bad happens to her. He's also good friends with Marissa Faireborn, and I love their interactions as much as I do with Rock 'n Roll's interactions with Skywarp and his team. Skywarp? The readers don't know what's going on with him because nothing is too clear for anyone to see or make out what's wrong. His control over his teleportation is baffling in of itself, and the same thing goes with his relationships to the characters. Nothing is given to the readers based on first impressions or reading it a couple of times to understand. His character involves more digging and speculating to properly get an idea about him. That's why I wrote this piece. I wanted to offer my views on what's going on with him, and why he makes the choices that he makes. You may agree with it or disagree with it. You may have a different interpretation compared to mine; that's fine. I truly think he has the potential to be a great character.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  4. TeleportingBob901

That's pretty much it for my analysis, and I had fun writing it. I would talk about Skywarp all day, if you let me, but I would inevitably annoy people with my babbling. I just enjoy his character that much because, well, he's a mystery and you don't know what you're going to expect from him. At one moment you think you nailed his character until he says or does something that catches you off guard. I just love it.

I enjoy his time in G.I. Joe in the shared universe with a cast of characters I've grew attached to; like I said Rock 'n Roll has become my favorite character since I started reading them back in February. So I was shocked when I read the part where Skywarp was willing to defend Rock 'n Roll in issue 7 of G.I. Joe.
    After Doc calms down Rock 'n Roll from his monstrous form and treats his injuries, Salvo starts blaming and berating him for putting the mission at risk and destroying a couple of the mole pods. Skywarp steps in and starts to argue with her. [​IMG]
    I found this weird when Skywarp, the barely reformed villain who's a jerk 100% of the time, is willing to stick up for him. It probably isn't coming from the goodness of his heart, but I think there are two reasons for this. 1.) He knows that Rock 'n Roll was under the influence of Dire Wraith magic, so he couldn't control himself when it took effect. 2.) This going to sound like I'm looking it too deeply, but I think Skywarp might empathize with Rock 'n Roll. Skywarp empathizing with a human? I know it sounds off but me hear out. Again it's not coming from being nice, but I think he just knows what's it like to be in his spot. Although the circumstances behind them were different; Rock 'n Roll was cracking under the pressure at Bikini Atoll when the Dire Wraiths attacked, and shooting Grand Slam thinking he was a Dire Wraith. Skywarp was enraged with Thundercracker's actions and left him for dead because of it. They both were being impulsive, and they both think that if anyone else were in their place; then they too would have acted the same way as they did. We already know that Rock 'n Roll is angry with himself for what he has done to Grand Slam, and he feels utterly guilty for it. Skywarp just doesn't want to think or talk about what he did to Thundercracker, and he wants to move on from there. Rock 'n Roll believes he should have been punished for his actions. While Skywarp already did get his punishment from Starscream by being left on Earth for attacking a Decepticon a few years ago. In the end while I do think these two foil each other quite well, but I do get the sense that they also parallel each other to some extent.

As a whole Skywarp's character is just fun to discuss, even though he's underdeveloped, I swear I could babble on for life about it. So, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree with any of my interpretations? Did I miss anything worth talking about? I do appreciate any feedback that comes my way. Thanks for stopping by and giving it a read.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Skywarp is one of my favorite characters. I hope they bring him back to the TF comics, because I am not buying GI Joe. I really miss his friendship with TC. I thought they were a lot of fun together. 1312253227448.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe is pretty good. Skywarp is wonderful in it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TeleportingBob901

We're dealing with a shared universe here, and I don't mind it that much. I would love to see Thundercracker and Skywarp to see each other again, but I don't think it's a good time for them; especially for Skywarp and what he's going through right now. I think his time with the Joes really shows how different things have changed for him, and the people he's working with for the time being. I'm looking forward to happens what next with not only him, but with the others as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I know, but I can't afford all these comics! :( 

9. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that Skywarp being in GI Joe is being good to him, as he has already had more prominence and development than all of his earlier appearances at IDW.

10. TeleportingBob901

Yes, thank you. Skywarp was long overdue for some development for some time now. So why not put him in G.I. Joe in the three part IDW event. Skywarp is the kind of character that screams, "Make me incredible! Make me incredible!" I mean Sitterson is having fun with his character and it shows.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Well don't tell anyone who liked the old GI Joe comics that.

The funny thing about Skywarp with the Joes is Skywarp was always kind of like the team player even in the Decepticons so it isn't completely out of whack that he would get along with another team.

I thought he had plenty of development in the previous comic, enough so that his eventual defection from the Decepticons would be completely understandable given how Soundwave and Galvatron were treating him like shit.

12. TeleportingBob901

I always saw him as the follower in the Decepticons due to the fact he kept his criticisms about Megatron's plans to himself, or between him and someone else. That's it. He doesn't talk about whats wrong with his plans and actions to Megatron because he thinks, Whatever helps the cause, I guess. Even though I have a lot problems with this, and I think you went off rails here, sir. Please don't shoot me. He kind of goes along with them for the most part. Until after the war where he starts to open up more about his opinions to his leaders and commanding officers, well a little bit over time that is. Especially with Soundwave and Galvatron before he leaves with Blackrock for the EDC at Washington D.C. after going underappreciated for what he has done for them. I can see where this kind of development would happen, but in terms of his whole character changing is pretty minor when compared to the other characters developments to notice it. Skywarp is still the same character with the same flaws he always had. The only thing that majorly changes is his situation and the people around him. He's only stating his mind to the Joes is because they're tiny, squishy humans, and so he has no problem with complaining about them or stating that there's something wrong here. People like Soundwave and Galvatron he can say that something is wrong here and there, but he still keeps it to himself most of the time. Then, and lastly, when you have a leader that not only fills others with fear but they can be a capable leader that knows what they're doing; then he doesn't complain about it and goes along with whatever they scheme without getting blasted at.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  13. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Thew? Is that you?

14. TeleportingBob901

Heh-eh. Sadly nope, I'm just another random Skywarp fan. But I am a fan of Thew's work.

15. BoboKitty

BoboKitty One Who Lurks

Tumblr:
    I love character analysis and I enjoyed reading yours about Skywarp. It's nice that his character is allowed to shine a bit in the new gi joe series. I look forward to his growth and change~

But hmm... interesting stuff about him and his relationships with others. I hadn't given it much thought before, but now I'll definitely keep an eye open as I go back and reread the exrid comics.

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Skywarp is my favorite seeker, and yeah, he's definitely gotten the short end of the stick. I'd love to see a series that follows him around warping to various places accidentally, he's got such a fun set of powers combined with a low IQ that is really just begging to be used for comedy. In fact, Decepticons in general have gotten poor coverage in IDW, I feel like we need a Decepticon-centric ongoing.

17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    To be perfectly honest, but he's not that deep. In fact I feel like Skywarp is almost meant to be one of the simplest archetypes in the history of the brand. He's a thug that teleports, and has been in the limelight for almost the entirety of IDW for simply being a thug that teleports. Even his bio as a prankster has never been fully explored, and I don't think he's even been nearly as humorous as the fandom has headcanond him as either. He had his moment of epiphany where he chose to leave Galvatron, but then this is an epiphany that was shared with nearly every other main Decepticon at the time. His feeling of betrayal towards Thundercracker has never been addressed either, and I don't think just assuming it affects him is a good substitute as actually addressing his feelings about the matter. Not to mention a lot of what OP lists that makes him fascinating already applies to plethora of other characters in IDW already. Needlenose and Soundwave are both almost defined by the fact that they want to be a part of something important, and even then those are matters that are outright stated rather than kind of assumed in Skywarp's case. And who wants to be called worthless? Who wouldn't lash out in some way if they were? Especially if the subject is one of the many violently characterized Decepticons? It's a near universal character trait, and especially in IDW. Not having a distinct personality, and having to take cues from his few lines of dialogue isn't far from how people justify the characters in the Bay movies. Why is Blackout known for being Loyal to Megatron? Because he was the one Decepticon in the first movie to say "All hail Megatron." It doesn't really make him fascinating, though, so much as it makes him underdeveloped in my opinion.

18. TeleportingBob901

Fair enough. I just think he has the potential to more than just an one dimensional character. If Starscream can get some development, and if Thundercracker can get a little bit of development. And if the all the other characters can get some form of development, so why not Skywarp? I would like to see him fleshed out even a little bit. Yes the analysis is full of assuming on my part, I know, and I like said I'm new to the comics and there is a lot to read in the future. I just don't have the time or money for it. Plus he was always off to the side in the TF comics, so I can see where you're coming from about him not being that deep of a character. Maybe the G.I. Joe 2017 comics are going to change that. I don't know. It's just my humble opinion of Skywarp.

EDIT: -Busts through the door- And another thing! There is another bit of his bio where the they say he's a useless warrior without the supervision of either Megatron or Starscream to tell him what to do. So where the hell am I saying "who wants to be called useless"? I'm not saying he wants to be called useless I'm just pointing out he might already know he ain't good enough when compared to everybody else, but he tries to a better warrior anyway. That he has this desire to prove the others wrong about himself, and so that's why he shot at Bombshell to shut him up. He doesn't want that fact to be true but it kind of already is for him. He tries his hardest to be something important in the level of Soundwave and Starscream. So maybe they're exploring the "useless warrior" aspect of him, and see where that goes. This is why I'll never be a writer. I'm going to either miss something, or I'm not being clear enough for people.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Alright. Stop that. If you want people to read what you wrote, use paragraphs.

20. TeleportingBob901

Sorry, I got a little carry away for a second. I should probably kick myself.