A solution to the TF civil war

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silver Bullit, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

No, not against the Bots and Cons, or the Max and Preds, but against the likers and dislikers.

How 'bout this:

Likers, just let the dislikers dislike whatever they dislike, for whatever reason they see fit.

Dislikers, just let the likers like whatever they like, for whatever reason they see fit.

Nobody owes anyone else any justification for their beliefs.

SB

2. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

It's a wonderful idea, but it hasn't worked for religion or politics for thousands of years and I see no reason to think it's going to work in this case either.

The problem is that everyone sees the world through only one set of eyes, and no matter how understanding we try to be, it's still really hard to understand how others can see the world differently.

Also, since this is a discussion board, your advice, while well intentioned, would make for very dull discussion. :)  We'd all just be agreeing or staying silent.

-LB voted for Kodos

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I call shennanigans.

What we want is bare chested and oiled up fights in gladitorial arenas with the only weapons being a Trident and a net or a short sword and tiny shield.

Dah dahdah dah dah dah dah dahdahdah

DAHDUHDUHDAHDAH!

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it would work if the people against the new designs would quit flaming those of us that like them.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Nuuuh dummy, my post is the right way. All other posts on the matter are wrong or otherwise not correct.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Bare-chested fight?

Only if I get to fight a chick.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If only, d00d. If only.

8. StarAngel

StarAngel Long live the Decepticons

I'm a chick.
    [​IMG]

Want to fight me?

9. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

The door swings both ways, my friend.

I too can and have been rather vitriolic... but only because I was tired of being beat with sticks and bricks because I didn't like a lot of the changes.

Those who don't like the changes have been called "purists", "looking thru G1 colored glasses", and the ever so popular "GEEWUNer". Who makes up these names? Are they being peacefull? Or are they drawing first blood?

SB

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

How long untill this is fuzzied I wonder?

P.S. the idea will never work.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Screw that, we need those big Vulcan spears and the Amok Time fight music.

12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Seriously, although I am forced to agree with the notion that we have found ourselves in a "Civil War" (I'm so embarrassed!), I think the problem is LESS certain people trying to force their views (either like or dislike) on everyone else (although I certainly agree that this is happening/has happened), and more that many of us feel that our own views are not being understood for what they really are. For example (building upon stuff you yourself said later in this thread), a lot of folks who dislike the designs are accused of being "against change," or "only wanting G1." Neither of these statements are true for MANY of us who don't like the particular designs we've seen.

So when we feel that our viewpoint has been misrepresented, we naturally want to "set the record" straight. To "justify" ourselves, if you must, to use the word you used. Even if people disagree with us, we want to know that people disagree with the ACTUAL viewpoint we have, before we can simply "agree to disagree." Even if I don't OWE someone that justification, I still want them to understand my viewpoint.

Multiply this phenomena over the MANY different iterations of viewpoint (i.e., even many people on similar sides will still have somewhat different takes on the matter), and this naturally gets confusing, and you soon see the "wars" that have erupted.

My two cents,
    G.B. Blackrock

13. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I have things I like about the upcoming film, based on the bits we've gotten to see thus far. I also have some things I dislike, a couple of which are not small issues.

I believe that some people take their viewpoint way too seriously and allow emotion to override diplomacy when posting comments on the forums, which leads to this widespread arguing amongst the fandom. What did you expect though, when way back, Don Murphy asked us to tell him what we wanted in this film? Everyone's opinions will differ, but the worst thing about it was the sense of empowerment and entitlement that arose from it. Now you've got a large number of fans who feel betrayed, like they were asked for input and (whether their ideas were good or not) then blatantly ignored.

It has nothing to do with G1 (notice I've never called ANYone here a GEEWUNner, and I challenge you to find me addressing a fellow fan by that epithet), or any other particular iteration we've seen the Transformer brand go through. It has to do with forum members allowing emotion to dictate their comments instead of thought-out, respectful dis/agreement and dialogue. Some feel they can't express their anger at something strongly enough without resorting to things like harsh language or offensive metaphors, without realizing that it costs them respect in the process.

If I could have one wish granted, it would be that every member of the fandom could walk out of the theater next July 4th having seen the most awesome thing they've ever witnessed.

14. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    I'm with Twin Twist on this one. Oil, semi-nudity and big drums are the only way to go.

15. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

And Silver Bullit,lashing out because you've been lashed at isn't the answer.Because you end up lashing at people who don't deserve it and that's unjust right there.

And I'll use the people who don't like the designs as I find that they are the most vocal group.

If they could express their opinions in the proper manner there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.A swear ladden post or crude remarks aren't going to get people to take you seriously.Posting on a board is not an excuse for poor manners.

People need to ask themselves,would you talk that way to the person in their face.99.9% of people wouldn't be NEAR as nasty IRL as they are online.

I may be direct and sometimes blunt.But I'm EXACTLY the same way IRL.And I always speak with respect

16. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    DO I EVER.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Civil War: I'm with STFU Noob

18. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Sigh, if only life were that simple.

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Everyone will get over it.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i say go with lance's idea of putting the noobies on a noob server. thatll cut down the noise fer sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.