A Snowplowers Pain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemesis Predaking, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    So I live in southern Ontario, and I work for a Landscaping & Snow removal company. We got our first big storm of the year yesterday. 10 -15cm of snow (4 - 6 inches, I think) followed by freezing rain and 20 - 30mm of rain. On Saturday night/Sunday morning we got 2 -3cm of snow. That was enough to send us out salting for 8 hours, the 10 - 15cm storm sent us out for 14hours (straight) and today I got called in to work for "touch-ups" and removals for 9 hours. So in the last 48 hours I've worked 31 hours.

Don't get me wrong I'm not here to bitch about my job, I love my job. Yes it has times where it sucks cuz I'm so tired, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I took the job. What really kills me is people "Bitching" about Plow drivers and the roads/lots. I see on so many "jackass" on the roads cutting off plows & salt trucks, and in general being morons in bad weather.

Anyone every seen that little blue beacon (or amber, as I've just been told) on the top of a snow vehicle? It means stay back at least 100 feet, if you hit or cause a snow vehicle to hit you and the blue beacon is on It's your fault, no questions asked! I know "common scene" is not so common, but how hard is it to know that when it's snowed or snowing not to drive the way you always do.

Some people need to have more respect for the people that put them self's out there to make sure the roads and such are clear and safe for everybody. It's a tough job that gets little respect because most people have no clue what it take to get the job done.

So next time you see a plow or salt truck and get mad that it's going to "slow" or "in your way" think about the person behind the wheel just doing there job so that you can get to where ever it is your going safely.

Thanks for letting me rant
    NP

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

No. We can only use amber here.

You guys get all the fun things in Canada. :( 

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Indiana's also an amber light area. And they are supposed to get all of the same priorities as a police vehicle. Get in the other lane, slow down, that sort of stuff.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

As do I! I was watching the news when they showed a few plows that got hit by reckless drivers. The cop they were interviewing was wearing his WTF face and he said "I just don't get it....*sigh*".

5. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

6. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Got to love Cam Wooley the face of the OPP. But sadly that happens way to often

I'd like to think that would work, but somehow I doubt it would make a differents.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Around here, when the first snow flake falls, drivers pull out the "drive like a fucking ******" license.

8. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I would offer you a beer but I am drinking them all right now.

9. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Yeah, apparently most people get one of those when they get their license. I didn't, I think you had to mail away for it or something.

No worries, I've got my own :D 

10. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    It was, like, 45 degrees here yesterday (Texas) and I bitched till no end. I apologize.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :throw 

12. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that law makes sense, but I never heard of it before... I bet I was a dumbass yesterday when I passed the snowplow that was clearing the edge of the road. Of course that would make the 4 cars behind me dumbasses as well.

Oh well the Police Officer who was driving on the otherside of the road didn't seem to care that we all did it while in a no passing zone, with him coming arround the corner.

Hmm... No Wonder Massachusetts Drivers are considered to be among the dumbest...

13. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Even living in Minnesota with people who, presumably, have been through winters here before, it amazes me every year how people seem as though they've forgotten completely how to drive when there is snow and ice. One of my biggest pet peeves is parking lots. When there is snow covering the lines people park in such random chaotic ways that it amazes me they can even drive a vehicle at all. It's not that hard to line up your car with another one, people.

I think my biggest winter peeve is represented by the jackasses who don't move their parked vehicles when the plows have to go through (around here they announce "Snow Emergencies" through email, mail and automated phonecalls). Two people were parked in front of my house yesterday before the plows came. When the plows came through they had to go around and not plow that part of the street. Then only about ten minutes later both people moved their vehicles. I really wish they had gotten towed. Some people say they need more advance notice of snow emergencies, but you know what? Look outside. Is there lots of snow? Yes? OK, then just assume you'll need to move your vehicle. But I suppose common sense is too much to ask of some people.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I really appreciate the hard work the plow drivers go through. It always surprises me when people bitch about plows being a nuisance. Would they rather NOT have crews out cleaning the roads? Sheesh.

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    This is where we'd be without you guys:

[​IMG]

15. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We would be in a black and white photograph? :confused: 

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, in 1940 Fords.

17. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I'll trade your 45 degrees with my 2 feet of snow. heheā€¦

18. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    It's the same way everywhere, I think we should adopt the polices of Iceland (I think it's Iceland, If not it's one of the "land" countries).
    Everybody should have to take a Snow & Ice road training course before being able to get a drivers license at all.

19. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel your pain NP...really I do....

When I was plowing...I got the same treatment...."you're going to slow"..."you missed a spot"....."why havent you done this yet?"..... *sigh*

And then of course you get the person whos see's you plowing a lot....they park in the most ridiculous place!!....

I would ask them to please move it to another spot...I would either get ignored, or get some lame excuse...or the ever so popular "I'll only be minute"...

I would tell them, "if I hit your car, it isn't my fault!"...then they hesitate, but go inside anyways....

So I would just plow around them and sit back and look at the priceless expression on their faces as they came outside to see their car surrounded by snow.....:ev: 

Major props to you bud, and all the other "Storm Troopers" out there....:thumb 

20. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Hurtin....nothin' here but rain, sun & a lil wind....our snow usually melts the same day it falls....:p