A Small G1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I haven't bought any of the TF DVD sets in sequence (still lack S2:p 1) but I found S3:p 2/S4 for $20 at MovieStop (after trade-in credit) and just started going through it recently.

I hadn't realized how many eps I'd missed when they first aired (didn't have a TV in the house for many years -- I wouldn't have been able to watch TFs at all without riding my bike to KMart after school almost everyday), and there were some that I'd only seen pieces of.

I got a little excited to see Paul Dini's (Batman:TAS, Batman Beyond, Lost) name as writer on "Dweller In The Depths", and then the ep turned out to be not-so-good. In Dini's defense, it was early in his writing career and he was writing for a toy-driven show after all. It had a couple plot problems:

- It didn't explain exactly how the Quints were able to subdue this renegade beast and put it into hibernation in the first place. How did they know they were going to be able to repeat history and whip the beast back into submission again once it had taken over Cybertron?

- This Quintesson who got his face ripped off wanted to have the honor of killing the beast when it had finished off Cybertron… he knew exactly where the beast was stored on Cybertron, so why the @#$% didn't he just kill the beast millions of years prior instead of holding a grudge for eons?

At any rate, I did find the concept of robot zombie vampires very amusing for some strange reason. So the ep wasn't a total bust.

"Call of the Primitives", which I'd only heard/read about previously, was disappointing. After 20 years of being a TF fan, I learn the "truth" that Unicron was created by some diminutive little monkey-thing? What a HUGE let-down. I much prefer the US comics continuity/history. On the upside, the animation in that ep is some of the best that season, and the opening battle is epic although a bit too brief, and has a buttload of combiners duking it out. Makes you wish the show had a much bigger budget so they could've done more sequences like that one.

"The Quintesson Journal" was something I'd pondered for years since I'd seen "The Big Broadcast of 2006": whatever happened to the Quint journal? I didn't realize they'd ever followed up on that ep. And wow was this one disappointing. It might've been a good concept, but it was very poorly executed: the animation and dialog were bad, and overall it kinda sucked. It may very well be the worst TF ep I've seen.

Thankfully, that one was followed by "Only Human" which I'd never gotten to see the end of, and it was worth waiting 20 years for. It was really interesting to see the Autobots as humans, and the dialog was well-written -- actually found myself laughing out loud a few times. And the guest appearance of Cobra Commander was classic.

I'm saving the rest of the set for my next day off -- really looking forward to seeing S4's "Rebirth" which also has eluded me for almost 20 years.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

dark awakening is the most disturbing episode from that boxset. sweet zombie prime!

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

You know I want to thank you for this thread. It's been a long while since I've watched my dvds on the show and I've been meaning to but never got around to it. I miss seeing those eps and you reminded me of some eps I really liked. I am definitely rushing home after work and watching a few eps. Can't wait!

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT, but I think it upset so may children, and so many moms called Hasbro, the company had no choice other than to bring back Optimus Prime! "Decepticons! Leave this place or die!"

It was even more disturbing the first time it aired. There was no voice-over announcer mentioning TROOP, just Rodimus saying goodbye to Optimus Prime. :sly: 

5. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

"Dark Awakening" was an awesome episode that I wish I could have seen when I was a kid. It seemed like a teaser that they would have to bring him back, plus to end the series without the icon of Transformers would be a crime. The only quote that Prime that showed Prime had a dark side was "Decepticons! Leave this place or die!" and it let everyone know that he's not afraid to kill if he has too.......even though he was turned evil.

In "Only Human" I love how they decided to cross Transformers and G.I. Joe, but sadly it was kind of awkward seeing Cobra Commander in it because I believe he died in the G.I. Joe movie.

"Rebirth" seemed a bit rushed when it was animated. When you see "The Return Of Optimus Prime Pt.1 and 2" you think that the colors and animation were done well, but then Rebirth just seemed like an easy way to end the series. They could have done a bit better with the storyline and animation but I guess still a solid ending with what they were handed.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, he just got retro-mutated into a snake. But he was restored to human form in the five-part "Operation: Dragonfire" miniseries that came after the movie by DiC.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

So that's what happened to Cobra Commander. I never did get to see much of the DIC series.

There is a lot of good stuff in TF season 3. I got to see a few episodes for the first time thanks to the Rhino VHS/DVDs as well including Dark Awakening, Forever is a Long Time Coming, The Big Broadcast of 2006, and Rebirth. Plus The Search for Alpha Trion from season 2. I knew most of them existed from hearing friends talk about them, I'd just never seen them. Odd how there'll always be those few episodes that will slip through the cracks. For years I thought ROOP was the end of the series.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I Was Once A Maaaaan

9. UDontKnowSith

UDontKnowSith NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I know I was upset. My miom didn't call Hasbro, cause she didn't really care, but I actually thought SOMEONE should..it upset me and made me mad at the end as well. I remember watching it then going to school all depressed.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Sweller in the Depths and Call of the Primitives had some of the best animation in the entire series...too bad they had to waste it on such terribly written episodes:( 

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

even in the original Joe toyline, Cobra commander came back in his crazy armor.

I like that paul dini episode, I think of it as a precursor to battlebeasts. His he-man episodes were less impressive, but in his defense, the sensors were hard to please (according to the he-man box set)

12. Galvatron 88

Galvatron 88 The Greatest of Cybertron

i need to get this box set

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha! good call.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    One of my all-time favorite eps, for a very specific nostalgic reason. I remember our VCR was busted and wouldn't record, and I had a soccer game that day at the same time the second part was going to air. I recall so vividly my mind so not being on playing soccer... it was more on the heartache that I wouldn't be able to see the end of the episode. (I was seriously addicted to TFs back then.)

And then my younger bro did something very thoughtful for once in his life and put his Fisher Price tape recorder next to the TV and audio-taped the episode. (I could've kissed him square on the lips for it. I didn't, but I could have.) So I got to hear the ending, but had to wait 20 years to finally watch it.

Ditto. I didn't even know about "Rebirth" until I was browsing the web one afternoon and found some video clips of TF intros/outros. When I saw the one they did for Season 4, I was shocked -- I thought maybe it was for one of the Japanese series. I called my brother and asked him, "Did you know there were TF G1 eps with the Headmasters and Targetmaters?"

My brother got so excited, his head exploded... God rest his soul.

And it's really irking me that I can't find a pre-owned copy of S2/P1 for around $20-30 bucks. Another of my favorite eps is "A Decepticon Raider In King Authur's Court", and I want to see it so bad I can hardly stand it. That image of Rumble with pigeon poo all over him is forever burned into my memory -- one of the funniest moments in all of TF toon history.

But as I said earlier, some of these I missed seeing 20 years ago were disappointing. I've come to the conclusion that the G1 show is probably a lot more enjoyable to watch with fellow TF fans and a large supply of alcohol.

15. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Really? Wow. I love it as a kid. Maybe I am older than you, but I loved Zombie Prime. But I also liked the deaths in the movie as it made it feel 'real' My friends and I used to make fun of Transformers and GIJoe as they would all always miss. But TF:The Movie changed that. It was great!

16. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

I watch TF: The Movie sometimes once a week. You think that it would be overkill but I think that it's just that good.

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once a week for the best movie ever made is definitely not overkill. And if anyone disagrees with my assessment of The Transformers The Movie, then I ask them what other movie in history has a steel planet eating another planet and then turning into a robot and fighting several armies of giant robots in space?

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

City Of Steel! Gun Arm Mounted On Tower For Teh Win!