A Small BW discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hot-Shot!!!, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    This morning, I finally got to see beast wars after untold years. It was kinda cool actually though I really don't remember any of this from when I was a kid. I just wanted to post a few question and comments to all you veteran fans out there. I'm basically speaking as someone seeing BW for the first time after being raised on the Armada-Cybertron era (which I happen to like)

Today's episode: "Code of Hero"

Comments - I can't believe this, but the whole show looks better than Cybertron! It's like the robots are actually made of metal. Almost like watching and episode long transformation sequence o_O 
    - While Prime (or rather, Primal XD) and megs have the same VAs as today, their performance is noticeably different. Optimus is much quieter. Makes it seem like he shouts all the time in the current era. Megs is just all out better. He's got this whole "evil genius" vibe going. Gotta love that "Yessss" at the end of his lines (though one time he said "noo" XD)
    - Dinobot pwned every predacon in the episode!
    - Rhinox sounds a bit like Vector Prime o_O 
    - Quickstrike's got one of those Thundercracker type voices...though not the exact same. Guess I need to hear more lines from him
    - Dinobot seems to have thwarted megatron's plans by not only saving the humans but helping them discover weapons as well
    - I am SO motivated to get BW DVDs :rock 

Questions
    - I don't really know what to say about this...it seems the TFs are stronger and yet weaker at the same time. That one red guy (I think it's Inferno) got his head blown off but seems like he'll pull through. yet Dinobot died from what looked like a small battle. I can recall quite a few moments where a TF in todays shows can withsatnd battles like that. (though they don't seem to die to easily). Was this kind of thing common in the sereis? Seems a bit more realistic
    - I saw Unicron in the intro who I totally didn't know was in the show. What role did he play in the series?
    - Just out of curiosity does "inferno" survive the damage dinobot inflicted on him?
    - at the end of the episode, was that a type of cremation thing they were doing for dinobot?

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    OOH! A Beast Wars n00bie! :thumbs2: 
    Welcome to the party, pal! You're only 10 years late. :lol 

Glad you got to watch... and particularly Code of Hero, too. That is one of the best individual episodes of the entire series, IMO. Very character driven and emotional.

As for your questions and comment, let's see.

The look of the show has indeed, IMO at least, held up very well over the years. Especially once you get into late season 1 all the way through the end teh animation gets pretty darn good. The first half or maybe 3/4 of season 1 isn't quite as nice, though, but still not horrible. They really hit their stride and kept running from the end of season 1 on, that's for sure.

Megatron and Primal are very different that any other Megatron/Galvatron and "Prime" in that they both seem so much more fleshed out. Megatron is a scheming, intelligent, quirky, criminal evil genius... quite pompous at times, but probably the most intelligent and formidible 'Con leader you'll ever run into. On the other hand, Primal was never totally comfortable with his leadership and was never the soldier that the original Prime was. Plus, they were never the overall leader of their factions... Megatron was nothing more than a criminal, even to most other Predicons, and Primal was simply the captain of a science/exploraton ship.

Dinobot is indeed pretty badass. Both in character and in actions... as you can probably tell by the beginning of the episode he suffers a lot of guilt about the things he's done in the past [he was originally aligned with the Preds] even so far as almost committing ritualistic suicide. So full of honor, yet very conflicted.

Rhinox IS Vector Prime.

Inferno definitely survives. Dinobot was a much better overall warrior than Inferno, but Inferno was extremely tough he was blown to bits in his introduction episode only to survive. You also have to remember that Dinobot was considered old technology... Megatron, Rampage, and Tarantulas were Transmetals at this point and Dinobot took one hell of a beating taking them out. He could have survived, but he overrode his own safety programs to continue fighting.

Unicron didn't really play much of a part, actually. He appeared briefly in a few flashbacks... mainly the episode where a certain G1 somebody possesses Waspinator's body. But what they show int he intro, if my memory serves me, wasn't actually Unicron's head. It was from a season one episode where Primal was being studied by an alien invader [the Vok] and they took the form of Unicron because it was something from Primal's memory banks that he feared.

3. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Yes Unicron was a Vok created image in Bwars you will Notice that the Predacons are a bit more sturdy as Waspinator for one is blown up several times I actually like the whole they can get blown up fact mostly of the same reason you stated it looks real and believable unlike the latest cartoons where they can get Bombarded but missles and so forth and no real damage is done(which makes me wonder why even shoot the darn Missles) as for the Funeral in the end its used in several customs the greeks the Indians the Vikings but basically its used to allow a warriors spirit to leave his Body and become one with his god If you like that episode try Gorilla Warfare which shows the grittier side of Primal.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Welcome to BW fandom, Hot Shot.

As you watch more episodes, you'll note the running gag of Waspinator getting blown up in every episode. And he always comes back. (Ditto for Inferno in many eps.) Apparently, the CR Chamber can restore a TF to full operational status even if all that's left of you is a head.

But I still found the gag amusing. Waspy and Inferno were the show's comic reliefs. Others have ranted that those gags were redundant and annoying and "too cartoony" for the show. But I think it served as a nice balance for the darker moments and the drama, as well as a subtle reminder that the show was indeed a cartoon and thus shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Just wait til you get to Season 3 -- my favorite from the series. It just kept improving over time. It's such a shame that it led to an even bigger story in Beast Machines that could've potentially been really really cool, but then it got all confusing weird and new-agish and a lot of fans lost interest. Animation was fantastic though.

5. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

About Megatron's voice, in the new shows he's not really able to be as dramatic as the Beast Wars' Megatron since those shows are dubbed in from their native Japanese, and thus the dubbers and the VA's have to match up the lines with the characters' mouth movements, whereas, the Western CGI shows more than likely had the animation done after the voice recordings, like nearly all North Maerican cartoons that I'm aware of.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Thats just because of the rendering style cybertron uses. anime characters blended in with metallic-rendered TFs like BW would look horrible, so they went for some middle-ground. and while we're on the subject of the visuals, I always HATED Beast Wars' bendy metal crap. metal parts bend, and collapse in on themselves like they're skin. the transformers dont even transform, they just move around a bit and swap character models.

as for deaths, I always figured it was how much damage the spark took that decides if the transformer lives or dies. dinobot took a lot of damage over a pretty long period of time, its like his heart gave out. compare that to waspinator who is normally just blown apart in segments (almost always at the joints, except when he was actually shredded up... wtf), and there's quite a difference in the amount, and type of damage.

Inferno always pissed me off. he started out as this bad-ass insane character, someone who was to be feared. and overtime, they weakened him, made him more insane, and just relied on him for comedy. I hated seeing him degrade like that. watching his intro episode again, man, he was so awesome back then. then look at any season 3 episode, and its just depressing.

7. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

Inferno was an awesome character in the beginning of BW and did indeed lose his coolness. But it was worth it to see what they did with Tigerhawk, the Vok, the Ark, Fuzors, Transmetals, Prime and Megs and the Tripredacus Council.

8. Galvatron 88

Galvatron 88 The Greatest of Cybertron

ah yes another in the ranks of Beast wars fans I consider Beast wars to be the best transformers show ever!!! Mainly because this is the transformers show I grew up with. I cant highly recommend enough that you watch this show after the end of beast wars all the shows mainly armanda, energon, cybertron are crap!! :thumbdown 

so beast wars is one of the best transformers show ever!

Also get all the seasons expecially season 3!!!

Peace im out!

9. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Beast Wars. The best TF show ever and I'm more than 100% certain it will always be the best. Find the boxsets, the entire series is amazing and if you have an open mind you'll love the sequel Beast Machines.

10. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    ah yes, what seasons are Starscream, and the orginal, Prime and megs in?
    and I'm glad to be finally back on the swing of things with BW!
    I kinda like the fact that the robots seem to be able to take more damge than today. I watched Cybreton: "Hidden" yesterday, was just like wow. Starscream should have been vaporized after a shot like that. Prime got his ass kicked though...was kinda funny. Don't get me wrong, I still love cyertron, it just has is "WTF?" moments

And here's to hoping for another US made TF show. I love Megatron this way!

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw my first BW episode when I bought the 10th reissues, and I became HOOKED too. I now own seassons 1-3 on DVD and I'm in love. :) 

12. jet convoy

G1 Starscream is in "Possesion" where he posseses Waspinator and does all the stuff Screamer does. :ev: 

And Prime and Megs are seen in "The Agenda" 3- parter the last 3 episodes of Season 2. But they're in stasis lock. AKA: unconcious. Prime's unconcious body is also featured a lot in "Optimal Situation", Season 3's first episode.

Megatron can be seen closer in the season 3 episode where Megatorn becomes a Transmetal 2 by putting G1 Meg's spark inside his own body. Forgot the name of the episode though.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Welcome to the club Hot Shot! I'm glad you're enjoying Beast Wars so far.

Code of Hero is my single favorite episode of BW. Dinobot is really a stand out character on the show. I think you'll enjoy the episode even more once you've had a chance to see all the episodes before it.

Although Cybertron and BW are both CGI, BW gives the characters much nore facial expression. BW is also one of the earliest CGI cartoons and was quite a pioneer for it's time - both in animation and storytelling. Killing off main characters in a North American animated show is very rare. Dinobot's death is not the last one you'll see in this series, but his is probably the most moving.

The acting difference for Megs and Op between a show like BW and Cybertron some people have already explained, but it stems from the fact that BW was made in Canada so the actors were able to recond their dialogue before the show was ever animated. They were free to improvise and to refine their performances. Cybertron comes from Japan and is already animated. The actors have to redub the dialogue and fit the mouth movement of the animation, so they can't concentrate on characterization as much. But David Kaye (Megatron) likes to stick in a yessss whenever possible in Armada, Energon, or Cybertron.

Inferno is a real nutjob, and he does survive most of his injuries inflicted on him in the series. I know what you mean about characters seeming more vulnerable yet less vulnerable at the same time. The difference I guess lies in wheter the injuies are being played as serious or comedic - like with Waspinator vs. Dinobot. Inferno's voice actor by the way is a man named Jim Byrnes. He's a great blues singer and has starred in shows such as Wiseguy and Highlander.

The actor who plays Rhinox is indeed the same actor who plays Vector Prime. Also, Scott MacNeil the actor who plays Jetfire in Armada and Energon, Strongarm on Energon, and Snarl on Cybertron does the voices or Rattrap, Dinobot, Silverbolt, and Waspinator on BW.

The Starscream episode Possession in late season one. This is the episode that comes with 10th anniversary Waspinator I believe. The voice actor for Starscream is not Michael Dobson though (his talents hadn't been discovered by the TF people yet) it's the same actor who does Terrorsaur.
    G1 Optimus and Megatron have cameos in The Agenda 3-parter that ends season two and Jet Convoy stated, as do some other G1 characters. The ep where BW Megs steals G1 Megs's spark is called Master Blaster I believe.

14. Neo

Neo The One

Yeah, Beast Wars was, IMO, the very best Transformers show there has been. I seriously doubt any other TF show will compare. Especially since I hate anime and that is what the humans are in the new show... Anyways, you should find the seasons and watch them all the way through. I just finished watching mine for about the 5th time. I love them and they never get old. The Transformers shows were always better when they were american made. Especially since the fact that the voice dubbing suck in the new shows. Their mouths flap on when the character is done talking. In Beast Wars, if you pay attention, almost all the time the mouth matches what the character says. Also, as apposed to the Transformers show now, the characters actually get visible damage. You can see holes when they are shot, not just electricity coming from the body. Very rarely will the TF's in the new series get actual damage on them. Hell, in Beast Wars when they got shot they even blackened the armor... I hope you find the rest of the seasons!

Well here is my Tribute to BW. I could actually go on for hours and keep writing about it...

15. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

Another of the many things I loved about Beast Wars was the variety of weapons. There were lasers, sure, but also bullets, plasma blasts, rockets, bolts, flamethrowers and demo-charges.

16. jet convoy

Word up Neo(you can't say anime is crap though, as it sounds like you haven't seen quality anime like Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Samurai Champloo, and others) and Pidgeot.

BW just had so many great things about it that listing them all would be impossible. From big details like plot, characterization, voices. To little details like facial expressions, little movements and gestures the characters do while speaking or doing whatever the hell they're doing, or as you said Pidgeot, the difference and variety in weapons. Each weapon even had their veryown and distinctive sound effect.

17. Galvatron 88

Galvatron 88 The Greatest of Cybertron

Again I have to post about beast wars !!!

Anyways Beast Wars was IMO the single greatest amercan animated show ever its got the classic humor (megatron with a yellow ducky in the cr chamber tub) :D  The very sad drama (code of a Hero) and the awsome action (Agenda 1-3) and (Nemesis1-2)

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really wish Beast Wars had a better ending. it was thrown together rather quickly, and didnt resolve everything it should have. it deserved better. Most TF endings are lame like that though, with galaxy force being the one exception (BEST ENDING EVER).
    they shouldnt have cut megatron's spark being returned, they should have shown how they took care of everything they left behind, like the ship wreckage, random bot parts, and especially waspinator, who they just left on earth. come on, the maximals are smarter than that. and hey, what about all the stasis pods?

so yeah, what I'm getting at is that the ending was complete crap. the last two episodes are great for a multitude of reasons, but there should have been one more episode to tie things up.

19. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

More like Canadian, but North American works well too :confused2 

20. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    Personally, I think both Cybertron and BW have an equal amount of tradeoffs that makes them equally good. Say what you will about Cybertron draws things out, and that BW's episodic stories were better, a lot of them tend to confirm things we already know about characters. BW's models are also a bit TOO shiney sometimes... and I think Cybertron handles the concept of transformation better. I mean, a lot of the characters don't look like they can believably turn into their beast modes; just watching them, I can tell they're cheating.

I also tend to get really really REALLY cheesed off at how BW handles the concept of character death on certain occasions.

Not to say Cybertron doesn't have its faults, but they're generally passed around all over the place. BW has the edge in facial expressions, of course. The voice acting?

I've honestly never been able to find a significant difference. Kaye at least seems to not do as well with ADR, but the rest of the cast strikes me as pretty much equal. Chalk? Maybe a little, but he's doing a lot better in Cybertron than he did back in Armada/Energon.