A Simple Question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gojira Prime, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I'm considering starting a series of threads wherein we have intelligent disscussions about the kind of "big idea" subjects that can be pulled from the Transformers franchise and fandom. I'd start each thread with the topic title, a breif description or explanation of the topic, and a list of questions/potential talking points.

I have a few ideas lined up, but I'm willing tot ake suggestions and ideas for what I would call this series. To give the folks who aren't in the mood the heads up that the thread is heavy handed.

Some ideas I've had:

"Hasbro vs The Fans."
    "State of the Transformers Franchise."
    "Cartoons: Then and Now." (would be in the general Movie and TV forum)
    "Death in Transformers: How Much is Too Much?"
    And the one that will get me the most hate mail but I really want to discuss
    "Transformers and Sexuality."

Give me your feedback guys. Suggestions, questions, concerns, let me at 'em!

2. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    Interesting, I believe I would participate in any of those subjects, very good topics!

3. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah some of those topics could produce a very good discussion.

4. LadyK

LadyK likes to lurk...

They're all good topics - while a title denoting it's a serious discussion would be good, I think just posting a disclaimer in the starting post of each one that it's not meant as a silly post would do just as well.

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

As a mod for this forum, I'm alright with those subjects. However, the Transformers and Sexuality topic has the potential to go into robot sex, and that will get a thread locked up pretty quick. Just a friendly heads up.

6. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i propose "cartoons: does the fandom read too much into them" ;) 

but the prospect of some highbrow TF debate is an interesting one, i'd happily weigh in with some of my hideously malformed thoughts.

7. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

wot freshdebresh said.

and perhaps more importantly, i think it'd be a mistake to try to sexualize what is essentially a child's toy. that's some pretty dodgy ground right there.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    interesting topics and id likely participate to some extant but you best be prepared for potential flame wars

9. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I'll definitely keep both those points in mind. But that topic I wouldn't do until people get more comfortable with the really heavy handed topics. Or perhaps if I ever get around to donating and becoming a supporter, we could have that particular discussion in the lounge.

I'll probably start with "Death in Transformers: How Much is Too Much?" I've got some good talking points for that one already.

How's me posting a new one every month sound?

10. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

you don't need to ask permission to post mate, if we did my postcount would be in the single digits.

as long as the threads are thought provoking and interesting without being deliberately provocative i can't see anybody objecting. it might even break the hateful movie rox/sux cycle.

11. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Some of those threads sound interesting, I'd love to discuss some of them.

12. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I was just asking if you guys liked the regularity. Would you like to see them more often? Less often? Semi-More-But-Kinda-Less-But-Not-Really often?

13. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

maybe try to only have one going at a time, when one fades away give it a couple of days and them start the next.

some will probably last for weeks of raging debate, others will croak after a couple of days of posters blandly agreeing that ultramagnus is probably struggling to come to terms with his gayness.

14. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Good idea. I think I'll start later tonight.