a simple question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kwickstrike, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    i know this is the toy section but i was just wondering........

How can people be big fans of transformers, but not collect the toys?
    i know there are tf fans that dont collect, which is why i ask

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    they love the fiction, but just don't feel like buying the toys/have more important things to take care of instead of buying toys

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

:thumbs2: Perhaps we might be talking about older people who liked The Transformers when they were younger but no longer collect toys. It happens.

4. robofreak

robofreak Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy: 

In all seriousness, many may not be able to support a collection. Kids, family, living situation, pretty much anything can factor into to preventing a collection.

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I fucking love Star Wars, but the figures I've bought in the last 5 years could best be summarised as: Mandalorian Evolution Pack (although I was tempted by the RAH Jango Fett).

I get that the two lines are different in that TF was started essentially as a large toy commercial, but I believe that Star Wars now has pretty much evolved into that (what with the new TV series being heavily supported on the shelves and all that)

6. newguy

newguy i

T.V.

7. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Because collecting Transformers toys has no bearing on whether or not someone is a Transformers fan, just like anything else Transformers related.

That's your answer.

8. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Just like anything related to anything within other things too.

I love G1. Can't get past it. Love it. Bought the odd Revoltech and Masterpiece Optimus Prime, but like every figure I have (NECA, McFarlane), I only get it if it sufficiently intrigues or impresses me.
    Otherwise I'm fine with the TV, DVD or printed versions.

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

There could be all sorts of reasons, bigger fan of X, no money (I think there's a lot of THAT going on right now), other life events taking precedence...

10. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

i love toys

11. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Can't argue there. He loves toys? 'Nuff said.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You just described me.

But I still collect (probably more than I should) but I am seeking a balance!!!!

13. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being a fan is the right of all sentient beings.

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys cost money, so unless you're quite disciplined and force yourself to only stick to a few you REALLY want, you can end up spending a lot of money in a short amount of time. When I decided to get back into collecting during the middle of last year, originally I was only intending to pick up the G1 reissues and finish off the 3-inch Titaniums I wanted...than I noticed the occasional Animated and Classics figures that appealed to me...than Leader Brawl from the first film...than the MP line...before you know it, I'd picked up well over a hundred in the span of a few months. I have over 250 now. I've never bothered trying to put a dollar figure on the exact amount I spent, just because it'd probably startle me how much money I burned through.

So, under the 'money/plastic crack' premise, I can understand why people who consider themselves fans wouldn't buy the toys. Once you start, it's not a cheap hobby. I wouldn't consider myself any less of a fan had I not picked up most or all of the toys I've purchased since last summer. I just did it because I wanted to and they amuse me. It's my dorky hobby. I used to buy football/baseball cards (and spend a lot of money at a time doing that). Now I buy Transformer toys. Fun for me either way.

15. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    IMO, a TF fan is a person who very into the TF mythos, folklore and its literature. A fan may or may not collect TF toys.

A TF collector, nuff said, is one who collects toys but might not be knowledgable enough on the TF mythos, like every single little detail.

So are you generally a fan or a collector?

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am on a strict budget and i have had my moments of true despair.
    I had a medical bill, passed up on Encore Omega Supreme.
    I was in rehab (vision, not drugs) and missed out on Classics Jetfire, Megatron.
    Hell, i passed up a complete, in C-7/C-8 box G1 Trypticon at a flea market because i had to decide between prescriptions or that figure.

so i can understand not collecting TFs.

but have you ever thought that some people just don't have a 4000sq foot house for a
    massive collection so a comic box and a spot on the DVD shelf has to do?
    I'd love to have the room to spread out my City bases...sigh.

17. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    if any fan of any franchise must have or do whats in the franchise, i'll never know what fans of saw or other splatterfans will collect or do at home *YIKES*

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The same way people are hockey or football fans without buying jersey's and such. Movies and T.V. series are a way for fans to be fans.

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People express their love of a franchise in different ways. Some people buy everything, some do art, some write, others collect odd bits of trivia. There is no right way to be a fan

20. Lady Owl

Lady Owl Decepticon Art Slave

I love figures so I can't help but want my favorite character as a 3D representation in front of me. Makes great reference tools for art, too.

But I do only buy my favorites or the figure has to look really really good like the Jackals from Halo 3. McFarlane just made them look so incredible I had to pick them up and I'm not usually a fan of that species.

I can't justify buying just to have the complete collection, though. To me, that isn't necessarily being a fan but just a collector. My mother has a bad case of collectoritis. She doesn't always really care about the subject, she just must have all of it and once she does, she gets bored and moves on to something else.