A Shaving Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CyrDraconis, May 4, 2013.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Can't grow a beard to save my life so I always shave, about once a week. Use Gilette Fusion and gel instead of foam. May need to get another razor for places *ahem* other than the face.

2. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

3. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

4. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I just use dollar store disposable razors. I've never used shaving cream or aftershave lotion in my life.
    I also shave my arms and legs once a month -- which is what I will be doing tomorrow. Planet of the apes this ain't.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember back in the 1970's, a guy with a hairy chest was popular and the women loved it. Today women doesn't like guys with hairy bodies. I was told when a guy shaves his body, it means he is going metro. Don't ask what that means, it is what I've been told.

6. Crockett

LOL. I grew up idolizing guys who shaved (ie., wrestlers, bodybuilders, etc.). I lift weights a lot myself, heh.

Besides that, the hair on my legs only extends down to slightly below the knees. For some reason, the hair stopped growing below that point. It looks horrible :thumbdown 

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in the 1970's wrestlers had hairy chest and legs. I have a hairy body and I got it from my mother's side of her family who cursed me with it. It used to bother me when people made remarks about it to me. Today it doesn't bother me anymore and it is their problem if they don't like it.

8. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

I can grow a pretty decent beard in about a 2 weeks. I've been told that I looks about 2 to 3 years younger without it. I typically just let it grow, then when it gets too crazy I shave it. I'm trying to get better about shaving every week, but I'm lazy :lol  . Also, where's Deefuzz? This is a beard thread for crying out loud.

9. Crockett

LOL. George the animal Steele wasn't one of my idols :lol 

Bottom line is I look a hundred times better without it. I don't get much hair on my chest and nothing on my back. But my legs get pretty much. I prefer a sleek look. It's worth the hassle of shaving it off once a month. It doesn't grow back anywhere near as quickly as facial hair. Try it some time, you will be happier without it since it serves no purpose.

10. Basilisk

Basilisk Better check yo self

I've been keeping a Goatee for two weeks now

11. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Beard is the way to go! Screw shaving all the time, trying to be "clean-cut". I haven't shaved in months. I just prune the beard time to time and it looks fine.

12. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Out of sheer laziness I just let the facial hair grow. Haven't shaved in over 3 years. The downside of being Chinese though is I end up looking like those old guys with the Fu Man Chu and the long thin beards from those martial arts movies. :lol 

When I do though I just use an electric razor. Forget which brand it is and too lazy to go dig it out. For everything else I just use my Gillette Mach3 with EDGE shaving cream. It's the only shaving cream I can stand the smell of.

13. Crockett

I just cut my own hair. Stylist went up $3. F that. Didn't come out bad at all. All I do is take it down to 3/8 all over.

Should be fine until college starts. Feel like Al Bundy, Russ is slippin', lol.

I'm headed back outside to do my legs and arms.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I shave maybe once a fortnight... I basically buy new razors and hardly ever buy refills because I go so slowly through them. I'm not really hairy at all...

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I haven't shaved in a couple of days. I don't know where my razer is?

16. Crockett

Is it just me, or does it seem like people in the UK don't have that much facial hair???

17. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I went ahead and invested in the boar's hair brush and have been shaving using the brush and bowl lather for a couple of weeks now and I LOVE IT! I can control the thickness of the lather to my liking, and I like mine very dense. It provides excellent lubrication for the blade, far better than anything from a can, and whipping up the lather eally doesn't take that long out of my morning routine. It doesn't take all that much, just a thin coating on the face is all you need. No need to pile it on like canned shaving goop. This was a worthwhile investment. It's turned shaving into an enjoyable part of the morning that I actually look forward to.

18. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I discovered that using hair conditioner when shaving (legs, pits and pubes) works really well and when I am doing sensitive areas (such as pits and pubes) I let the conditioner soak in for a while before shaving because it softens the hair and I am much less likely to get a shaving rash.

That being said, I try depilatory cream or waxing whenever possible, but shaving is sometimes necessary.

Edit: I ALWAYS use a good quality razor with 4 blades for the closest shave possible and I am going to start storing the razor (blades) in a tub of olive oil to prolong the life of my razor so it's not so expensive now that my income has dropped fairly considerably. Not being hairless is NOT an option for me so anything that helps with that cost is welcome.

19. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I don't use a razor. I always use the trimmer. One time I gave it a go and asked the barber to shave my face with a razor because I heard shaving with a razor scrubs the dead tissues and allows more hair to grow. But by doing that, I got blood coming all over my cheeks and chin! No, the barber didn't cut me by accident, but rather due scrubbing the skin with each shaved spot. My face stung like hell when it's done!

20. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Shaving really does dry out the skin and I always, always moisturise the crap out of my skin whenever I shave because I find that prevents ingrown hairs and shaving rash. I use a hypoallergenic moisturising gel and also use a feminine hygiene wash for my intimate areas rather than soap, and that all helps keep the dryness, scaley skin and rash issues at bay. I imagine that for your face, you could find a PH balanced moisturiser and face wash which would also help....don't use regular soap and don't use anything drying, use a foaming gel or conditioner to shave with.

I don't imagine the trimmer would give you a close shave?