A second Transformers decline on the rise?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    There's a odd similarity between the first decline, which was the lack of interest between G2 and Beast Wars. Or even the end of Beast Wars, when we had to wait over 13 years for a show that's been as well-received. Is there a similar course of events? Hasbro's putting all their money into ROTF, is that a bad move? (Yes.)

So, what do you think?

(Yeah, I know there's two live-action movies, with one already a hit. But what if the second is a flop? What if there's never a third movie? What if the ROTF toys don't sell? WHAT THEN!?!?)

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Relax there, Sage... I'm very certain that ROTF will be a hit.

I don't think there's a decline in all things TFs. Obviously something came up that caused them to cease the Animated series, and what role ROTF played in canceling Animated, big or small, I'm uncertain.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hasbro's probably got a new TF project they want to get into once they finish making TF-3.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Ugh, this is like the 5th thread I've read this week that begins with "think about it." If people made thought provoking statements, they wouldn't have to order the readers to "think about it."

4. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

yeah i think we are ok for the time being.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there is a slight probability that rotf could flop, if that happens i could see them reviving animated and universe quicker than anticipated (or in animated's case reviving it at all) i'm sure they have a plan,

6. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude you don't like ROTF?

7. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Animated was fresh but they botched the handling of it. I don't think I have even noticed the reruns on CN lately, so its been out of might/sight and that affects sales so, hopefully the toy/show ratio won't be so drastic next time. transformers won't be gone for a while I feel

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've thought a few tmes over the years that it might be the end for Transformers, but I was happily wrong each time. The Transformers just keep comming back. These days it would be like G.I.Joe or Barbie taking a nose dive. We have generations of Transformers fans now. The Transformers aren't going away, or even in decline.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I know can I say it a lot, but no kidding.

10. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Wait, are you saying that ROTF is going to make Transformers RUINED FOREVER?
    I think the franchise will still go strong. It constantly reinvents itself. Not to mention, Hasbro's probably going to continue with the awesome Universe line in the future.

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Beast Wars ended 10 years ago and hasbro chould bring Masterpeice Grimlock with a Dinobots poster book and Dvd..

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok my 2cents

the last Dark age was a time when their was no fan base and their were no huge net community in effect when transformers sales slowed that was it game over but now with such a huge community their will always been new stuff even if its only in small numbers.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

I don't see a decline at all.

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Yes, a second decline is headed our way. Just not this year or next. We might see it before the the third movie, but we'll definitely see it after the supposed trilogy is finished.

I mean, what else can Hasbro do? By that point, our beloved TF universe will have covered everything.

Comics? Check.
    Cartoons? Check.
    Movies? Check.
    Toys? Check.
    Games? (Video, board, or otherwise) Check.
    Merchandising? Check.

We've pretty much covered all of the options here, and a lot of fans are being alienated by ROTF, with Animated returning in a heavily diminished capacity, Universe on hiatus 'til whenever, and we have no idea if a new series is planned beyond those three.

I know Hasbro's banking on TF3, (they're gonna go where the money is) but even that will start to wear out it's welcome. The first movie being a hit? Miracle. The second one will be a hit because of it riding on the first one's coattails, but if it's quantity over quality (which is most likely), people won't give a damn about TF3. Fans included.

It does help to reinvent the line to try and keep it fresh, but we're going to get to a point where there are no more ideas, just rehashes of the same old ideas.

Dinosaurs, cars/trucks, UFOs, weaponry....we've pretty much covered what you can do with these guys. Hell, we even have robots that combine to form a bigger one. What else can you do? Amoebaformers? "Learn about science and shit, while having fun!"

Yeah...we're heading for a decline, it's just a matter of time. Everything goes in cycles, and we're due for a return to the lull.

Star Wars only works as a toy line that's been running forever because some neckbeard somewhere just has to have that Luke Skywalker with and without his index finger extended. TFs on the other hand? No. (And thank God we don't go that extreme. Okay, some of us do.)

And if you look at Star Wars, there were no toys from like '85 (Ewoks and Droids 'toons) up through '97 when the movies were brought back for the anniversary.

About 12 years without toys. I'd hope we don't see that kind of a lull, but it's not impossible either.

15. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There won't be a decline. The second movie won't be a flop, nor will it's toys.

The only people who will say yes to this are the ones who are hurting about Animated being finished. It's their way of lashing out at the fact that the movie may have had some part to play in the ending of a series they liked.

Thats really all there is to this.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    To be fair, G1 lasted a few years after a flop movie (I liked it! Don't hit me!), so I don't think ROTF is going to kill the franchise or plunge the fandom screaming into a new dark age.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, I can't help but agree. They've reinvented Transformers before, and it's most likely it will continue like so. Universe seems to be one of Hasbro's best selling TF toy lines, and people made relatively good comments about the Universe figs, so I can definitely see Hasbro keep that toy line alive.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There won't be that kind of a decline. Transformers has been reinventing itself every few years since Beast Machines. Every new line brings new ideas and concepts, and for a lot of that, there was mainly just the main line. Even the ones with lukewarm reception didn't kill off the line.

Even if the third movie does not go over well, the toys will probably still sell, and whatever comes after that will likely still do well enough to keep the line going.

Transformers will endure. Just like Power Rangers manages to carry on through thick and thin, so will Transformers. I doubt we'll see the toys stop altogether. Just maybe cut back a bit.

The way some people make it sound, I almost wonder if some wish doom on the line as though they wish the line to take a hiatus. If anybody truly feels that way, then just stop collecting for a while. The aftermarket is always there.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Fixed for personal opinion.

20. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

So, can you be a little more clear about what similarity there is between the current Transformer situation and how it relates to the first decline between G2/Beast Wars? I don't see any similarity at all...

G2 was primarily redecos of G1 toys with some comics to support them. They weren't well recieved and toy sales apparently had unremarkable results, which led to the creation of something as wildly divergent as Beast Wars... which ushered in new fans and rekindled a public interest in Transformers...

All signs point to the TF movie 1 toys being one of the most profitable toylines in recent history (if not all TF History) and they are gearing up for a sequel that will have toys and hasbro has probably learned some lessons from their last time out.

No similarity there at all. G2 was a monumental failure and required hasbro to get their proverbial shit together and find a new direction... The movie universe is successful and transcends the fandom in the fact that it appears to appeal to a mass audience. So, i fail to see any doomsday signs there.

Now, if you're talking about Animated (show) being well recieved in comparison to Beast Wars (show) being well recieved, you might be onto something regarding a similarity... but then again, you have to consider what happened after Beast Wars... Beast Machines, which lead to the resurgence of vehicle transformers in RID, which led to Armada, which led to Energon, which led to Cybertron, which eventually led to the movie, and Animated, and another movie... Not the greatest run, but not exactly the dark ages of TFs either...

I'm fairly confident that Hasbro is a forward thinking company and they hopefully realize the plusses behind using a writing/production staff that is US based. The reported ratings of TF animated on cartoon network will speak novels to the execs at hasbro. I'm sure the last thing they want to do is take steps backward in whatever they do next...

You do have a point about hasbro putting their eggs in one basket being risky, but then again, we don't know the full extent of their plans during or after the movie. Speculation is about as useful as masturbation... it gives you something fun to do, but doesn't really get you anywhere.

Time will tell if hasbro has made a bad decision in their plans. But given their history of changing up their overall game to ensure the survival of Transformers, i don't think that we're going to have to worry about the next "Decline"...