A sad day for book readers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by red4, Aug 6, 2010.

1. red4

red4 Banned

Barnes & Noble Buyer | KTSM News Channel 9

Okay, so maybe it's not really sad, since books will always exist, but I love Barnes and Noble. Every book I own, not purchased secondhand, I got by visiting a Barnes and Noble. Browsing through book covers online just doesn't have the same immersive feeling as walking between aisles, surrounded by books.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Tis sad. I love Barnes & Noble.

3. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Ugh. I hate reading computer screens. I would much rather have good old paper pages in my hands. I really hope Internet books don't catch on any more. I might not read as much if it's all online from now on....

R.I.P. Barnes & Noble. Borders has always been more local for me, but the few times I've gone to B&N I have been pretty satisfied.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    :( 

I love my books.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Wow, I mean digital books are cool but I didn't see this. I would rather have a real book than one of those digital reader things. Crazy.

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont think it means the death of paper books... just buy the paper books online :) 

Honestly its been forever since I've been in a huge book store like B&N, I stick to my Local comic/book store.

7. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This isn't all that surprising and definitely good news for small, local book stores. I definitely sympathize with the employees, though, as even if a buyer is found there will most likely be extensive store closings.

I'm lucky to live a few blocks away from Powell's (one of the best bookstores in the U.S.), but if Barnes and Noble does close, it would be a blow to the many smaller cities where no other physical bookstores are available.

(By the way, the Kindle is pretty awesome and not at all like reading your computer screen.)

8. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Barnes & Nobel like Toys R' Us, Best Buy, Blockbuster and all the other big box stores are all what I would consider " Evil "... They basically ran all the small business out of business by use of endearing factors, the ability to more easily get what you want.

However, once they did that, they became all there was.. and i'm stuck having no choice but to defend them now against the relentless onslaught of internet commerce and the horror which is Wal-Mart. The same thing which endeared the big box stores to us, the fact that they typically have what we want in stock and are open late, is still the same reason I prefer to go buy books or movies from them than buy them from Amazon. the Online stores may indeed have extremely good prices, but I have to wait to get my stuff, it means all purchases have to be planned ahead of time.. it removes the spontaneity of shopping, of going to the store and seeing something you didn't expect and buying it.

On the other hand, Best buy's selection of films and CD's especially is so abysmally bad there is often no recourse but to order what you want from Amazon. so I fully respect the need for both avenues of commerce, I don't feel that either one needs to be taken away entirely. I guess essentially though this is just another symptom of the imploding suburban sprawl which is pasted on the American landscape like a rash.

I guess I'll make the most of these stores while they are still here, as I doubt I will ever match my purchases in a physical store with purchases online. since once they are gone, there will be no "Small book shops" near me.. except for the trade-a-book stores which don't sell new books.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

:( 

While I've never been to Barnes & Noble -- I generally shop Borders -- it's very sad to see a large bookstore chain close up all their shops.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    barnes & noble hasn't died- yet. it's in a slump and analysts like to exert influence without putting money down on it. I remember the prophecies after Sears stopped the catalogs and JCPenney did so as well. But those stores are still around. There is hope for B&N considering Walmart has over 3000 stores, opens one every 3 miles and 3 minutes apart instead of going completely online. With 720 stores, B&N can keep them open because the stores offer more than just books. And it is a damn sight better than Books-A-Dozen and i have no idea where there is a Borders in my state.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Amazon.com last year sold more digital books than actual books, FYI.

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^^ I read about that....online :lol 

Seriously, I am a book lover, have tons on bookshelves filled to the max. I'll always buy hardbound editions of my favorite writers not download them. :thumb 

13. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well if they really do shut down I guess they'll have major sales to liquidate their assets, which'll be sweetness all around.

14. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

While I don't wish ill on B&N, it doesn't surprise me. I received an ereader at Christmas and I love it. The only reason I would buy a book now is if I can't get it digitally. In fact, I am selling all the books I own and it doesn't bother me a bit.

15. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

WTF! No!

What is the point of buying an online version of a book? Seriously. The power goes out in your house, no TV, no video games, no computer etc. the first thing I'd like to do is read. Having a version you read online is pretty pointless unless you have a laptop.

Then again, some prices on books are really expensive. Transformers: Exodus cost me $30 to buy, luckily I used a gift card. I love buying books and reading but not when it drains my wallet. If they were cheap enough and/or I had the money I'd probably walk out of B&N one day with 100 books.

Maybe they'll have a huge clearance sale then. Thats always good. I love going into Barnes&Nobel and just browsing around in the science fiction section, looking for a book that catches my eye and appeals to my interests.

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I don't really care about B&N or Borders and wouldn't miss either if they disappeared. If I want to pay (mostly) full price for a new book, I'll go to Book People, a massive, local, independent bookstore. Probably 90% of my book purchases (and a majority of DVD purchases) are from Half Price Books, though, where I can pick up 1st print hardbacks of older books, cheap paperbacks for less important stuff, and snag anything from Watchmen #1 to TPBs/HCs of stuff that's less than a month old in the comics section.

I could just get whatever I want online via Amazon or Ebay, but it would cost more, and not knowing exactly what gem you're going to find while browsing is half the fun of going to HPB. I'm not interested in digital books beyond anything but maybe the most throwaway of throwaway fiction, which I don't read much of anyway, and I'm certainly not interested in buying a fairly expensive separate device to do so. When I read a book, I want to read a book.

17. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A part of me has died, And won't revive

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barnes & Who? Over here, we gents stick with WHSmith. :) 

19. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Well that sucks... at least there's still a Borders around here, which is more or less the same store, if the worst comes to be.

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You need to have an Amazon. com account, I got my copy for $17 and change and no shipping :thumb