A reviewer finally gets it

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by evan1229, Jun 30, 2009.

1. evan1229

evan1229 New Member

2. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

its about time rotf gets a good review.the movie was awesome and hopefully i can see it again.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That review made too much sense.

4. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    GREAT review, good comments as well.

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

pretty much, sept i had no problem with the twins

6. Jingoku

Jingoku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He doesn't really refute the points of the critics. All he says is the Movie is aimed at the pre-teen/teen crowd and then goes on about how awesome IMAX is.

Heck, even he mentions how there's too much sex-talk/play and how he could've done without the Twins.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So, what do you want? A review that says ROTF is a cinematic masterpiece on par with Citizen Kane, and the Twins are awesomely well-written characters?

8. Zombiedude

Zombiedude Junkion Warrior

He's not trying to refute the critics.

He just says the movies fun. Point.

9. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

"A reviewer finally gets it" that's a lol

what i learned from there, the movie goal is only to entertain and fun, must watch in IMAX to make it look better... everything a film needs to be great ...

10. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    On the part about the twins not being able to read. Look at it like this people:

The symbols are an ancient and dead script. NO AUTOBOT could read it. Nor any Cons probably. Wheelie couldn't read it, bumblebee couldn't read it, the twins couldn't either. The only one who could was the oldest bot around. Why? He knew it first hand because he was around then.

Basically this is the same as me asking you to translate Sanskrit or hieroglyphics. You can't unless you lived back then or studied them. You maybe able to recognize them (like Wheelie) as what they are, but won't be able to read it.

Why is this such a difficult concept for critics to grasp? Why does "Can't read = black" to them?

12. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

Except that wasn't the joke...it wasn't that they couldn't read this ancient writing. Skids says "READ???" like it's the most absurd thing he's ever heard, and then Mudflap says "We don't - we don't really do much reading.".

I'm not saying they are racist, but they are very much stereotypes that people may find offensive. I honestly don't care one way or another, I hated the thought of them going in but came out kind of indifferent to them, I didn't hate them as much as I went in.

But anyhow, you kind of missed the mark with your explanation there is what I was getting at.

13. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    So the guy sees the movie as "mindless fun". That is fine but the 1st film was so much more than that, which is the major reaon why so many critics are panning ROTF. Critics don't go to movies and write about cookie dough packs.

Sounds like the critic would love a Transmorphers sequel with a 200 millon buget too...not that there is anything wrong with that either.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the dialog and voice acting could have handled it better if they wanted to avoid the stereotype comparison, but I agree that some critics, pundits, and others have latched on to a point where it risks saying more about the person making the criticism than what they are talking about.

15. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I'm glad he linked us to a cool review. I think "GTFO" is completely uncalled for. Way to make a new member feel welcome, that's awesome. /sarcasm

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this review for the most part, but I didn't think the twins were racially offensive. In fact, I have NEVER met anyone that acts like that, and have only seen charicatures in movies remotely act like that.

Anyways, what I liked about the review is that he has no problem pointing out the flaws. I do to- I have a lot of people in my office who have asked me about it, and I tell them I really enjoyed it, but I don't neglect to mention that I don't like some of the potty humor and sexual content, and that the plot plays second seat to the effects and action. The people I know who have seen it, who are all not TF fans (I actually know 0 other TF fans in person) all say the same thing- it has those problems but it didn't overshadow everything else that made the movie fun to watch.

17. evan1229

evan1229 New Member

I've been a lurker here for awhile and when I saw the local review, I thought it would be good to point out here since folks have talked about all the negative ones.

18. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I don't get it.

Everyone keeps saying 'Critics don't get it! It's meant to be mindless fun!'.

They do get it. But most of them realise that there are better, and less offensive, 'mindless fun' movies out there, the first Transformers film included.

A universal complaint at my school is that the film is way too long. The first film never had these complaints. Why? Because it was better paced and edited.

Hell, people only liked it for some of the college humour and explosions. Which they can find in a million other different sources. TF2 was only so irritatingly popular because it was a sequel.

19. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

RotF was long, it felt like 2 movies in one.

I can't complain about that since I only paid for one movie.

The amount of Bot screentime was like 3 times the amount of the first movie. There was always something going on. Not "lets watch Sam act stupid for 30 minutes." like the first one was. I have no complaints.

20. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i wasnt telling him to gtfo, it was just the phrase, like "i dont believe this, get out of town" but whatever, its not really my duty to make new members feel welcome, even though it is a nice gesture. The fact that this guy is linking us to a 3rd party website as his very first post, to a writer local to him, screams spam to me. Where is this guys follow up posts anyways? Hmmmm...