A reboot with "average" cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSoundwave, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Barricade would kinda bring that on himself, though, having Decepticon logos prominent alongside his police markings and "To punish and enslave" written on his back end. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  2. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either that, or they change their density in alt mode to match the original vehicle i.e. keep the same mass but spread it over a larger volume, which make sense given Starscream's alt mode is bigger but lighter than Brawl's, for example.

Anyway, back to the topic, it at least looks like the Bumblebee movie is heading in the right direction with cars. The GTX is customised but not unbelievably so and a lot of the cars on set would be about 20 years old in the late 80's, and back then fewer people had new or nearly new cars.

3. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Im more concerned with them nailing the robot look more so than what kind of vehicle they are (although i do want Optimus to be a flat nose semi) and from the looks of the BB movie i believe they are going in the right direction in that respect.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The Seekers were ALWAYS meant to be roughly 30-40% larger than the Autobot cars. Just compare the old Prowl and Starscream toys. Starscream looms over him.

Have the Autobots extend up to 20 feet in height and the jets collapse down to 40 ft and we have our winners.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

That works for me. Having the wings and cockpit fold up the right might help with that, I suppose.

6. Angry Camaro

Angry Camaro Human Alliance

News Credits:
    This thread is so stupid.

Learn to spell Camaro! You got it correct in the second sentence! Plus, I agree with your bee statement.

Nissan Sentra????? Get out of here.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I said Nissan Sentra...I didn't say stock. I mean, the Sentra had a Spec-R edition, why else would you make such a thing if not explicitly so it could be customized for street racing?

[​IMG]

Source that lists the mods

And it isn't like AoE Crosshairs wasn't pretty much the exact same thing except from a Corvette chassis base.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Why couldn't this be AoE Drift...?

9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Because it isn't a stupidly expensive car who is so unattached to the character it portrays that when the original orange painted car was suddenly unavailable because it had been sold, they just dropped in the blue one instead, and then when that car got sold since Bugattis are more or less made to order, the production team said 'fuck it' and went with a completely different car for TLK because that's how unimportant the alt. mode was in the bigger picture.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

While I do stand by wishing Drift were a Subaru or Nissan, I have to say I did like the AMG GT he was in The Last Failure. (probably the best part of the movie, outside of Megatron's buns and thighs) Granted, the robot mode had even less kibble than his AoE design, but at that point I didn't really give a shit anymore. The alt-mode was a better fit, and the colorscheme was basically IDW Drift's with some gothic black to shake it up. I'll probably make a custom out of the Deluxe that integrates all the flat surfaces as samurai armor instead of sticking it all on his back someday.

If it were up to me, Drift would've been a kitted-out Nissan 370Z rally car; something like this, but with the rising sun pattern of his IDW Earth mode on the doors. (stereotypical, I know, but I've been playing a lot of Ōkami recently and I think it'd be in good taste as long as the robot mode's face isn't blatantly Asian or some stupid shit)

[​IMG]

11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    It should be noted that when originally introduced, IDW Drift was a drift tuner modeled off of either a Nissan Silvia or a Toyota Supra.

But the real reason we don't get cars like Nissans or or Hondas is because I think they still rely on GM to provide the vehicles - and Bugatti is a division of VW, which in turn I believe is associated with General Motors, hence why they even had the Bugatti in the film in the first place.

12. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

Volkswagen is not at all linked to General motors. Volkswagen is it's own company and has subsumed several other German and European companies, and remain established out of Germany. General Motors is, and has always been primarily an American and Canadian grouping. If you wanted to find a parallel of the Nokia/Japan joke from transformers 2007 in car form, I guess that's where you would go...

Although Audi is also a subsidiary of Volkswagen, so it's probably that link you might be thinking of.

13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Ah, thank you for the correction.

14. LieutenantBeeTheScout

LieutenantBeeTheScout Active Member

I can see Ironhide as well in the pic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BluestreakGTS

BluestreakGTS Well-Known Member

I'd love it if they did a reboot set in the 1950's or 1960's, then we could have our cake and eat it too. Most of the "average cars" back then were pretty flashy, or at least could be optioned that way, so the alt modes can be bright and colorful, yet not stick out like a sore thumb in a parking lot. Alt mode selection for each character would require some creativity, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Being in the 50s would mean just about anything from the 40s would also be on the table, given you'd have the family cars like wood-side station wagons coming out of WWII.

You could also conceivably get soviet bloc cars which have no business being in America but honestly seeing the Sunticons going around as crappy soviet-mobiles (Breakdown would be a Trabant, it's just too perfect) would be hysterical.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It is entirely possibly to buy an average car now that can have a bit elan and style. Just because your neighbour’s Dodge Charger sedan looks stock doesn’t mean that it is. And last I checked, aside from some badging there’s very little external difference between an I4T Mustang and the V8 GT. Even less of the owner opts not to put additional options on it.

And that’s without even acknowledging the simple fact that there’s no reason a Transformer should be limited in terms of speed etc by its alt mode. The alt mode is a (figurative) shell to disguise the hyper advanced robot. Bumblebee as Volkswagen should still in my view be able to outrun any supercar the human race can produce.