A reboot: why it may be best.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kaymac, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Care to explain why...?

2. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I agree with you completely but the thing is, Spiderman is taking a lot of flak for having a reboot so soon and many people are saying "ugh this again? How many times are they going to tell this story?" I feel like that would be reactions to news of a Transformers reboot. People would go "Ok so they had a war, they come to Earth, and now the world is in trouble. Woop de frickin doo" Since the series now has done so well, it's logical that another movie in this series would bring in more cash than a new movie entirely.

Plus, the general audience doesn't know the difference that all Decepticons are dead nor do they care. They just want to see hot women and cool robot fights (unfortunately for us fans, the former seems to have been more of a focus among other things). So since Hasbro wants money like everybody else in the world, they'll probably go with the choice that = $$

3. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would rather see them do a film where it can be taken as the first in a series or as a sequel to a previous film, kind of like The Incredible Hulk or Rocky Balboa.

5. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    How exactly would that work? It just seems like a weird idea to me and if they had some characters added or missing without clarifying whether it's in a new continuity or not that could cause some confusion.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As fans we could run down a long list of Transformers that haven't been used yet in the movies.

The problem is that we don't make the films it's the suits in Hollywood with whoever they decide to hire as their production team.

It's kind of why Superman has a pretty extensive rouge's gallery in the comic books and cartoons, but when it comes to live action films his rouge's gallery has been really limited. Kind of hard to sell the suits on why there is more than Lex Luther or Zod out to give Superman a bad day.

If we could get something like DC and their direct to video animated movies then maybe some other characters could explored in the movie universe. But if it's a live action movie with a really huge production cost and a box office to help carry the studio the rest of the year Hollywood will not have that same pool of characters that we have as fans.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Hollywood has been making Transformers since Day 1 of G1.
    Bay's movieverse wasn't the first foray into tinsletown.

8. LumpimusPrime

LumpimusPrime Autobot

Touche'... and on this I would have to agree.

I also just remembered though, that in 86' my mom took me to see the animated Transformers movie... Spike's "oh shit what are we gonna do now?!?" line was in there... then it was edited out of the VHS release and re-inserted for the DVD version...

9. Krelkain

Krelkain Rodentus Chiropticon

Yeah, they were trying to go for a PG rating so the film would air in later timeslots or some such. Appeal to a larger crowd. At least thats was stated in the 20th anniversary DVD release.

As bad as that may have been in the eyes of parents, the live-action films are just more insulting in comparison. You could equate all that stuff to like juvenile potty humor repeated over and over, but the topics included themes way beyond the purview of children.

Bottomline -- I concur, too.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. LumpimusPrime

LumpimusPrime Autobot

Yeah, I was totally cool with the "oh shit" line in all reality, especially now that I'm 31... it was way less offensive than the Bayverse humor on an intellectual level. Now, I did enjoy the live action films (not a hater) but IMO losing the "potty humor" would have given more screentime to some bots' and could've made more room for action.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Someone finally understands what I mean!

The potty humor is unnecessary, and I have no clue how it was slipped in. Clearly Hasbro didn't flip through the script or watch the finished film before release, or really have a say in what was their idea of "child friendly".
    I don't have a problem with humor in Transformers. It's the kind of humor that the Bay movies do that is insulting to me. Transformers shouldn't be 100% serious. That is why we have captions on TFWiki, that is why we have Optimus Prime playing basketball and talking about booby traps. Transformers is supposed to be fun, and actually make us laugh, not cry from the stupidity of it all. And that is why more guidance from Hasbro is needed on these films, to make them for a broader audience, and more enjoyable overall.

12. LumpimusPrime

LumpimusPrime Autobot

and I'm sure that without said potty humor Hasbro would have still sold just as many (if not more) toys and products.

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Good riddance, Sam and his family

14. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    The thing is to me in a world where humans are humans and giant robots are taking over the world you'd see dying people and people swearing. This is the real world and I actually found the script to be pretty good in DOTM compared to the last 2.

"Well it looks like Bumblebee. If Bumblebee transformed into a sad... piece of shit."

15. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I'm pretty sure the new films weren't rated G and never pretended to be. If parents took their kids to it without looking in to it then that's on them.

Personally I could stand to see our franchise "Dark Knight"-ed as someone previously said. AHM tried but was a bit too sloppy in the execution to be effective, especially when it came to resolving the storyline, but I think that theme is the right way to go. Even if the 1st movie was focused more on stealth and gathering (maybe even in the Beast-era to avoid confusion with TF1) then exploded into terrible darkness (or some such) I would be alright with that.

16. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I actually love this page from TFwiki. It always inspired laughter from me.

Things that have Ruined Transformers Forever in the past

Killing Optimus Prime - TF the Movie
    Transformers that don't transform - Action Master
    Munkies - Beast Wars
    Hippies - Beast Machines
    Reboots - Robots in Disguise
    Divorce - 3H Productions
    Pokeformers - Armada
    Perverts - Kiss Players
    Exclusives - Fun Publications
    Bayformers - Live-Action Film Series
    Teen Titans - Animated
    Nostalgia - All Hail Megatron
    Bayformers Animated - Transformers Prime

In other words... pretty much everything.

One interpretation of what it's saying that everything besides G1 has in fact killed this series because it's not G1 since G1 is the original Transformers.

17. Shizuka

News Credits:
    What was so wrong with the Unicron Trilogy? I'm assuming that you've seen the dub and as an anime fan I know for a fact that dubs for kids anime tend to suck. Plus Galaxy Force was supposed to be a reboot but the dub was edited to be a sequel.

I actually enjoyed Armada.

18. Optimus Clyde

Optimus Clyde Space Trucker

News Credits:
    My head hurts form trying to read all the posts to see if anyone else has thought of this already, so apologies if someone has. But has anyone considered that you can bridge the gap somewhat between reboot and a straight continutation if you just move the story along to the re-telling of the fall of Optimus, the rise of Rodimus, and the morphing of Megatron into Galvatron? Hell, you can even have the ghost of Starscream now. Plus we get to see Ultra Magnus, Springer, Kup, etc. Heh...

AND it would totally leave room for the vision of whatever new creative team emerges.

I'd watch that...

:popcorn 

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    What if their vision doesn't include any of that?

20. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I really doubt Starscream's ghost would work in live-action movies.