A really cool visual cue...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Feb 3, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    “The Transformers are designed so that their faces/bodies resemble the symbol of their faction. The Autobots (especially Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Ratchet) were modelled according to the Autobot face; and the Decepticons (especially Megatron, Barricade and Blackout) were modelled according to the Decepticon face.” IMDb trivia

I thought it was a really cool visual cue to utilize: make the Autobots and Decepticons resemble their faction symbol. It was a move which worked so well that ANIMATED and PRIME copied the cue into their Transformers design.

Practically, they needed a sort of guide to make sure the robots didn’t look like a jumble of parts, but rather like appropriately armoured robotic beings. The alt modes and bios would have done just as much, but still it was an inspired move to make them actually look like their insignia.

Visually, most of the Transformers didn’t really bear their insignias in the films (it was only Bumblebee, Barricade, Ratchet, Optimus Prime, Starscream, Skids/Mudflap in ice cream truck mode, the Fallen, Mixmaster, Wheelie, Jetfire, Devastator, Sentinel Prime), so it was necessary to give them designs that would reflect their allegiance.

It was awesome how the VFXperts incorporated a variety of unique features based on the insignias:
    - Bumblebee with antenna
    - Ratchet with a walrus moustache
    - Starscream with a beak/rooster crest
    - Soundwave with mandibles
    - the Twins each being half an Autobot face
    - Wheelie and Jetfire resembling both insignias to reflect their changed allegiance (though Wheelie was eyes and a mouth, and Jetfire had a beard and crazy hair)
    - Brains having a duck-bill (although he doesn’t exactly resemble either insignia)
    - Que having a bald head, a moustache and glasses
    - the Dreads having dreadlocks, fangs and mandibles
    - the Wreckers resembling NASCAR fans (Leadfoot with a beard, Roadbuster with a cap and Topspin with a mullet)
    - Interestingly, if you look at Optimus Prime and Megatron, their features are generally the same as their original G1 versions, but their faces/bodies have been tweaked to resemble their faction symbol.

All in all, it was a great idea to utilize IMO.

2. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Actualy starscream's insignia is between his eyes on his forhead.
    [​IMG]

3. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    There's no Fallen in your list. His face doesn't just look like the Decepticon insignia, it IS the Decepticon insignia.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This actually relates back to the very beginnings of G1: The Autobot Symbol is modelled after Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen's face, and the Decepticon Symbol is modelled after Soundwave's. In G2, the Autobot Symbol was Optimus Prime's head, which was later the RiD Combatron symbol because (allegedly) they didn't want to remold the discs that came with Black Convoy.

5. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm almost certain each Transformer has an insignia. Doesn't Ironhide have a huge one on the tailgate?

6. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Yes, and one on his back in robot mode. Optimus has obvious ones, Ratchet's are part of the emergency symbol, Bumblebee's is on the steering wheel and his forehead and Jetfire's are on the landing gear flaps. Those are the ones I paid attention to.

7. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

^I never noticed this.

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I :lol  at "VFXperts". But then I realized how apt, accurate and awesome that nickname is. Do I have permission to use it in the future?

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Thanks Hellscream and kaiserlink, I've updated the post to show their appearance.

Aernaroth: True. According to Wikipedia, Prowl (most notably) had the Autobot face, and Soundwave had the Decepticon face. But it was a motif very few Transformers back back then, and they didn't really think of carrying it through. It's nice that they actually did so in these films, considering the faction insignias are not often seen (and that two robots rendered them wrong by switching sides).

Tyler Mirage: You have my full permission to use that phrase :thumb .

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Just wanted to clear up something I think you might have missed or misunderstood in case you got the wrong idea.

They're not saying that those characters' faces were modeled after their factions' insignia -- like your thread is suggesting about the movie designs -- but that the the Autobot and Decepticon insignia were designed to resemble the faces of Prowl and Soundwave, respectively.

Which is why it wasn't really carried through that much back then...putting the cart before the horse and all that.

In other words, t wasn't that they just never had the idea of making Autobots and Decepticons resemble their respective insignia, but instead more along the lines of the people who turned a bunch of random Japanese toy molds into "The Transformers" and created their factions and backstories either initially intending Prowl and Soundwave to be the leaders of their teams or else they just chose which face-molds to design the insignia around almost completely at random.

Just seemed like a BIG difference that might have gone unnoticed and I thought someone should clear that up.

Oh...and HI, btw!

Nice to see you around.

:) 

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:

But that's what they basically just said.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    "Basically" does note equal "exactly"...hence my clarification.

Again, it seemed the OP might have misunderstood the order-of-procession regarding the origin of the insignia relative to the G1 face-molds and I thought it was worth making sure that didn't get confused, that's all.

13. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I liked how the Decepiticons had more claw-like hands, and the Autobtos had human-like fingers.

Also, (like said in a DOTM CGI Designers Commentary) Decepticons have sharp transformations, while the Autobots' transformations are smooth.

14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, the Fallen - another extension of these ideas. After all, just he invented a decepticon insignia, so it is so similar to his face. In Tales of the Fallen # 3 (about Jetfire) there is the moment when Jetfire was dispatched to the Earth and "labeled" decepticon insignia as the first Decepticons, it was a kind of like a sign of serving to the Fallen. And remember in the trailer of ROTF, at the end "disheveled" decepticon insignia was showed, which is almost identical to the face of the Fallen.
    And of course, always the law of "show me your hands and I'll tell you who you are". Autobots have a human-like, beautiful (very manly...:rolleyes: ) hands with a wide palm and dexterous fingers with square tips that will not cause harm to people. On such palm it is comfortable to hold humans, just fits by size...

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    You don't need to be so exact just for the sake of raising your post count.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I realize there's a difference. I wasn't trying to say "G1 DID IT FIRST INVALID" I'm saying that the designs of the bot/con faces was another example of a long tradition in the brand, one more way that it ties into the history of the brand. You're right they did more with it and went further in terms of complexity, though Autobot and Decepticon faces on many toys since The Microman/Diaclone figures have followed many of the same trends (pointy faces for cons, rounded, humanoid faces for bots, etc.) and it's a cool way to distinguish the two sides aside from the relative distribution of planes and cars.

I think that the level of DETAIL in the films allowed for more customization in the Autobots and 'Cons, and while I didn't like all of them, it was a valiant effort, not only in terms of faces, but body details as well (Bumblebee's doorwings, the twin's facechests, etc.). I really wish they'd have gone with that Anubis/Decepticon Faction Symbol face design for the Fallen, that was really neat.

17. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I have zero interest whatsoever in my post count.

Pix?

And I wasn't correcting YOU, I was correcting what appeared to be a slight misunderstanding of your initial point on the part of QLRformer.

If you re-read my responses, you'll see that I was simply clarifying the point that the original designs from the insignia-faces were taken from the original Japanese face-molds rather than the faces of Prowl and Soundwave having been designed to resemble their faction insignia, like he was talking about with the movie-designs in the OP.