A real reason to be worried about part 2 (A reasonable thread)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

Being insulted by board members wasn't getting me anywhere either.:wink: 

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. rabbid1

Then the drooling fanboi fanatics should cool the rhetoric

Wow.

Talk about resorting to the level of "...not a real fan" idiocy.

3. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime- Truck
    Rachet- Ambulance
    Bumblebee- did you really think they would make him a VW bug? car
    jazz- Sports car

Starscream- jet
    Bonecrusher- Construction Vehicle

Ok, Megatron..they weren't going to make him a gun that was even stupid in G1 imo even though I loved his character. Couple of new decepticons Barricade and Blackout and Frenzy wasn't a tape.

If that isn't loosely based on G1 I'm not sure what is. The leaders are still the same, their functions were the same.

Maybe you need to see it a third time.

I don't drink Purple Kool-Aid it's grape drink, get it right.

Sucks to be us, Insecure, crawl back under a hole, sheep? Dude, wtf are you talking about Hedgehog?

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ouch, seems we are back to the insane idea that fans are just repaints of the same mold.

We all have different things that make the characters what they are so we can't always agree what nailed it and was off the mark. For some people Starscream was on the mark and for me he was way off for not having the smirk and not talking enough. Some people found just what they needed out of Megatron and I just can't call a character Megatron without a full time arm cannon. For some people Bumblebee was what he should be and for me I need a runt for Bumblebee.

For some people close to all they wanted out of a Transformers movie, for odd buggers like me it was pretty good roller coaster ride about some other group of Transformers, and just not what some people wanted at all. Just don't see how being mean to each other is going to change anyone else's mind.

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Truth.

I'm firmly convinced that Michael Bay could have done a word for word, shot for shot live-action translation of the G1 "More Than Meets the Eye" three-parter and some G1 fans STILL would've found fault with it. ("Spike and Sparkplug had too much screen time! Less humans, more bots!")

6. rabbid1

Well WTF did you all expect? Branding a movie fan a hater simply because they don't believe this film to be G1? You want a hater? Look in the mirror!
    I won't doubt that the writers had G1 characters in mind when starting to write this film, but just because a couple characters share a similar alt mode or paint color does not mean they are the same person.

Tell me when Prime isn't a truck, or when Starscream isn't a jet.
    Plus, Ironhide has more in common with Beast from Disney's Beauty and the Beast than G1 Ironhide.
    And Bonecrusher wasn't construction equipment- he was a minesweeper.
    Devastator wasn't a tank in G1.

This is a new series, with new takes on old characters with different motivations. A few passing similarities don't make them the same.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ain't it true, ain't it true. I mean we are talking the same hobby where people found fault with Classics Starscream even though the figure had so much in common with how the character looked on the cartoon and in the comic books.

8. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I think that the movie was a decent "summer" action movie, but as a fan it fell far short of my expectations plotwise. Like I said, I am not hating, and I am glad to see some resonable replies to my original comments. All this carp about "G1 sucks" or "your a sheep" really needs to stfu. This is supposed to be a "resonable thread", remember?
    BTW, a moratorium on G1 hate please? I Like Beastwars most myself, but I understand that there would be nothing without G1. I have come to terms with the robot designs, but I cannot in good conscience support another film that dosn' have a good plot. There is simply too much source material to ignore (almost 20 years worth)

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To be honest, while I haven't read this entire thread, I have not seen anybody call you a hater. I am of the opinion that the characters aren't exactly like their G1 counterparts, but they are based directly off of them. Mostly their personalities, but even a good amount of their looks are similar. Bonecrusher, while he technically doesn't transform into a construction vehicle, still has an alt-mode that could look ok sitting with a bunch of them. Devastator, while not the G1 combiner, still has a bot and alt-mode that fits the name well, and he is green. Frenzy, while not blue or red (not going to get into that one here), and not turning into a cassette tape, still evokes the same character in ways, as he is small, travels around in another bot, and turns into something dealing with music. Scorponok, Blackout, and Barricade, while technically having names used in G1, are more or less new characters, though Scorponok still has a scorpion alt-mode. The others are even more similar to their G1 counterparts, so I won't go over them. Honestly, people aren't trying to attack you, or label you a "hater", they're just trying to explain that the characters have more in common with their G1 counterparts than sharing "similar alt mode or paint color".

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Off-topic, but I never really liked the mold due to its quite limited articulation compared to the other Classics toys. That and the fact he's *tiny*

11. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Very true we did luck out in a way this movie could of been DRAMASTICLYworst and it could of been better but still its okay(we could of gotten ang lee!!!!)

12. Galvatro

Galvatro You'll do MY bidding... or taste MY wraith! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Keeping an open mind about TRotF (rather long)

Hello All!

To start, let me say that this is rather long, and that I manage to get to the point of this topic even though I may seemingly deviate from the topic at the immediate start.

It would be in a fan's, or to the general public at large's for that matter, interest to keep in his/her thoughts that the Transformers cartoon is more or less a 30 minute toy commercial. Whether it be the Generation One, Beast Wars, Animated, or the others, these series are part of Hasbro's marketing machine designed to sell a product. In the case of Japan, Headmasters and Victory come to mind, as well as Car Robots 2000 which was essentially Takara's idealism of a merger of beast and robot due to the waning US support of beast robots as Beast Machines became somewhat unpopular.

What makes the Transformers more than just toys are the people behind the scenes- those that make them more than the pieces of plastic and die-cast metal that they are. Influences from virtually all of the Transformers continuum, such as Bud Budiansky, Bob Forward, Larry DiTillio, Simon Furman, Bob Skir (yes, his name belongs here too), Marty Isenberg, Orci and Kurtzman, and our counterpart Takara-related series creators, as well as Michael Bay, Archer, Lombardo, and many more, have contributed their ideas to the brand and have endeared many of the characters to the fans-at-large and to the public that may have a fond memory or two of the brand from a younger age.

Clearing the issues of 30 minutes toy commercials and those that make the Transformers come to 'life' for us, we can now discuss the reasoning behind the Movies and why humans need as much, if not more, scene time than the Transformers themselves. At the heart of this issue is the teen angst drama that we have witnessed in the live action Movie and its worrisome impact in regard to the second Movie's storyline. The first Movie brought us the growing pains of Sam and Mikaela, their relationships with Bumblebee and the other robots, as well as the interaction of the other human and robot characters portrayed in the first Movie. What is failed to comprehend, in some circles of the Fandom, is that this Movie takes place not on Cybetron, but on Earth of our time. As there is a population of 6.5 billion souls on the planet as of 2006, it would be rather difficult to remove humans to a mere 15 minutes of a 2 hour film. With that many souls, it may be unfortunate for some fans that humans are very well going to dominate most of the scene time and be in most of the scenes with the robots as well, but it is a virtual impossibility to not have them in the film most of the time.

The only conceivable way to elimate the human part of the equation from the Transformers Movie mythos would have been for the entire storyline to unfold on Cybertron itself, or a human-less Earth. These concepts has been visited in the comic line of IDW, in various fashions, by brilliant scribes such as Simon Furman, and various Transformers cartoon series by very esteemed writers such as Forward, DiTillio, and yes, Skir. What is endearing of the Transformers characters is their interaction with the human element, giving them the ability to leap beyond the robot-only angle and mingle with another species that is not their own. In the case of the Decepticons, they elevate evil to a scale only dreamt of by human standards while the Autobots relate the qualities of goodness to humankind while proving that friendship comes in all shapes, sizes, or even from other planets.

The dynamics of the characters, whether they be Autobots, Decepticons, or humans, need the time to be explored. How do we do this? Through comics, movies, cartoon series, character bios, and the like, the talent behind the scenes are the ones that will continue the story of the Transformers. The storyline of The Revenge of the Fallen may very well revolve around the relations of Sam and Mikaela yet again (assumed, as to the leaked images, etc.). This topic takes issue as to the concentration on the human element. While the humans may detract from the robots, the setting of Earth cannot possibly provide otherwise. Given the circumstances, the Transformers must intermingle with humans. Transformers is a story of alien robots fighting an eons-spanning war and carrying it to a planet populated by a perceived, weaker other species. As of this time, I do not know what the storyline will be, nor am I interested. I choose a piece of info here and there to read, but not too much as I want to be surprised when I view The Revenge of the Fallen.

In closing, and I am aware that I have taken this far to length. I would like to think that there is no reason to worry about what the second Movie will be about, or whether it will be entertaining or not. I put trust in some of the fine creative folks, mentioned earlier. As with any subject matter, there will be those characters that we will know, and those that will utter not a word. Characters will be hated, while other will be beloved. I will take these in stride as I sit in a darkened theater, hopefully during BotCon 2009 with good friends and a popcorn, and enjoy The Revenge of the Fallen. I will have my own ideas on this or that, not like this or that, but will nonetheless enjoy the come to life rendering of my favorite Robots in Disguise. Posting ideas on this Board is a way to get your opinions out to those that are behind the scenes- they do read these Boards now and again and they do pay attention. When I view the Movie, I will post my opinions as well and voice them to those that would listen to me. Perhaps, at BotCon 2009? In the words of an oft played song, "Don't worry...be happy."

Galvatro

13. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Well said.

I have to say, I wouldn't want to watch this movie at any Botcon. I'd like my theater to be free of movie-haters.

You make a good point: the human angle is essential. I see him not as the "main character" but rather as the viewfinder through which we are given a look into the Transformer world. And aside from that, this movie MUST appeal broadly. Can any of you tell me how a "bot only" movie would be able to do that?

14. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I would, respectfully, have to disagree with your argument. You are passing off assumpption and opinion as fact. I am not stating my opinion is fact or "right" however. Comments in red.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Once the general public becomes more associated with the bots, maybe, but even then I don't see a bot only movie doing good, let alone as good as the first TF movie did. The human element in the movies is very essential, as it basically helps the viewer get into the movie. It's one of the reasons I like the Cloverfield movie so much. The way it was shot gets you into it as if you were actually there, though that same tactic wouldn't work well for a majority of movies, imo. There are two more things they could have done to make that movie more realistic to the viewer, but that would then require the entire audience to where glasses and headphones while watching the movie, lol. Galvatro, I'd read your post, but tbch, I'm just to lazy, lol, and I should be getting back to finishing the next chapter of my fan-fiction story.

16. rabbid1

Well, you must have missed a couple of posts:

The above, and just about anything Velcrohead says.

Now don't get me wrong; I loved the film and can't wait for the sequel, but nobody has been able to show me how it is G1.
    So Bumblebee is yellow. So is Hot SHot and Cheetor. Same color, same characteristics.

Prime is a truck. Prime is always a truck, Starscream is always a jet and Megatron is always the head bad guy.

So what if BB caught Sam and Mikaela? Does that alone make him Bumblebee? I would like to think Hotshot, Cheetor or Sunstreaker would do the same.

Being yellow isn't enough to make a character Bumblebee any more than being green makes a character Devastator.

So what would make these characters G1, and this movie G1 in my eyes?

First, recognition. No, I'm not talking about a VW for BB or a flat truck or mini van for Prime and Ironhide. Clothes don't make a person; but our faces remain the same. Isn't that how people recognize us? By our faces and not by our clothes? The alt mode is the clothes for those who do not understand BTW.

Second, the Allspark. The TF diety. It's a cube. Now, IMO, making it a sphere and calling it Vector Sigma would go a long way to making it a more G1 film.

Now, these character are based on G1? Without being told who they were in robot mode, could you tell who the characters were? Prime? yeah. Jazz? Probably. Bumblebee? It's be a real good guess. G1 Bumblebee had tiny little horns, a mouth and talked.

If you saw pictures of Ironhide, Ratchet, Starscream, Frenzy and Megatron- and nobody told you who they were, mind you- would you be able to recognize who they were? Of course not!

So, if anything, they created new characters with an idea- based on, if it makes you feel better- from G1 characters.

This aint G1, so by default these aren't G1 characters. However, if it makes you feel safer at night orgives you a hard on, then believe that this is G1. Live long and prosper.

But don't pour hateraid on anyone who doesn't share your view.

G1, G2, BW/BM, RID, Arm/Ene/Cyb, MOVIEVERSE, Anim

First, define a movie hater.

Second, it's too bad that your enjoyment depends on the enjoyments and perceptions of other people.

17. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

You know I see where the OP is coming from. I have those same worries as well, but lets face it. the general public will love the next movie just as much as they liked the first one, this movie isn't being made for us rabid fan boys its being made for the general consumer.

18. rabbid1

Well, I'm a fan, despite what others may think.

But it aint my religion. I don't lose sleep over the "brand"; nor do I ponder how many new fans are made over each new TF title.

TF's might be around for years to come, or it my be a fad that dies.

My love for it is independant of its existance. It could die off, and I wouldn't quit being a fan. As it is, Arm/Ene/Cyb were dry spells for me. My life continued, even tho they weren't my cup of tea.

I have some movie stuff, and if it weren't for Universe/Classics, Animated would be a dry spell. My life goes on.

With re-runs, fanfics, fanart and EBAY, a fan doesn't need any continued existance.

19. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I know you don't care much for me, but that statement right there is loaded with truth. That's why I don't get why people are so determined to make the movie be G1 all over again.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No, I've seen those posts, and in neither one of them were you called a hater. Only one of the specific things you've highlighted had anything to do with haters, and even then it was a general statement, and thus not directed towards you specifically. Even then, only one of those posts was directed towards you, and nowhere in that post does the person call you a hater. The "shut up already" remark might have gone a little far, but that was it. In the end, both of those posts were just trying to get a point across, that the movie characters do indeed have a good amount in common with their G1 counterparts.

Not trying to overstep the boundaries when I say this, but I personally think the mods should come in here and close this thread.