A re-deco can make a world of difference.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by havanowoncheese, Jul 23, 2011.

1. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

So i just got Spacecase and i love him. I cannot help but enjoy this deco more than Terradive. While this is my opinion it got me thinking what are some redecos that others think are better than the original so if there is a redeco you like more than the original post it!

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Generations Wheeljack - even though he's a Tracks retool, the changes on him really make him feel like a totally new toy and that the mold was made for him and not Tracks, even though it can do a good job at both with some changes.

Movie 1 Mudflap - the original, Cybertron release of this guy was kinda bland and it's not a surprise he shelfwarmed pretty badly. The TRU repaint of him, however, is dead-on Erector and you can probably guess who he stand in for in my collection after I changed up the faction symbols.

Animated Electrostatic Soundwave - This guy is quite obviously Soundblaster, and the quality seems to have gone up when comparing him to my original Ani. Soundwave. Tighter joints (admittedly, he looked a little bowlegged before I swapped the legs, fixing the problem), no paint rubbing issues, and a neat, unique deco that makes him look different enough from the original. Oh, and he comes with keytar Ratbat, which is all kinds of win except for the part where Ratbat can only plug in as a bat while Soundblaster is in alt. mode despite the peg slots still being left over from Laserbeak.

3. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    People seem willing to overlook Tomahawk's legs for the Vortex version.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    That's great. Personally I thought Terradive, the original had an absolutely killer deco. It's not for everyone, I can understand that, but I just found it really bold and striking. Especially in person.

Vortex, for whatever reason looks so much better to me than Tomahawk did. But I'm just going by pics.

A non-existant example would be TF1 Preview Optimus. If they redeco'd that mold in classic Optimus colours it'd feel so much more like Optimus to me. It seems like such an obvious thing to do, but so far, no dice.

5. havanowoncheese

Gah how i could i forget Wheeljack. The mold works so much better for him than Tracks. Skullgrin as well. I think the color scheme is better and the head sculpt is better, much more wicked looking.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Universe 1 Nemesis Prime.

Singlehandedly justified the entire line.

Also, Tracks is the retool, not Wheeljack. We found that out in a recent interview posted.

7. havanowoncheese

Do not get me wrong i love Terradive but something about Spacecase i just find more appealing. Although Terradive's headsculpt is still better.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Funny enough, the mold was originally made for Wheeljack, but they tweaked it so they could also get Tracks out of it and just happened to release Tracks first for whatever reason. But technically speaking, Tracks is the repaint/remold. Just a fun fact. :) 

I think the only recent example I can come up with is the Skullgrin redeco of Straxus (or whatever his name is). I thought it looked like ass in blue, but the light grey & magenta repaint made it look ten times better and just suited the mold better overall imo.

9. havanowoncheese

I did not know this. Since Wheeljack was released later its easier to view him as the redeco.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Similar thing happened with Alternators Silverstreak. He was made first, but Smokescreen was released first.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's a natural assumption. The only giveaway was the product numbering & design notes on Takara's prototype sheet for Wheeljack. Then it was later confirmed a couple weeks ago in an interview with the designers. They said something to the effect that Hasbro asked them if they could get Tracks out of Wheeljack's mold by turning the waist around.

12. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Dark Iron is a recent example.

People overlook all sorts of flaws when they think a toy will fit on their classics shelf.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

I'll have to check out some better pics for that, so far all I've seen of it is blurrys.

I find the Takara Henkei decos for Universe Prowl and Smokescreen really improved my impression of the mold.

Here's another example: Cyberfire Bumblebee. Even I was starting to get Bumblebee fatigue, but the mold just looks so fresh in this do.

[​IMG]

14. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I do not like the DOTM Sideswipe mold... but I am definitely buying Darksteel. His redeco just makes him pop.

I have Terradive and Space Case standing next to each other, and to be honest, they make me hope there's a future for the mold as other redecos/retools. The two just scream, 'We need more Cyberjet buddies!' They're a nice alternative to the Seeker-style transformation.

Skystalker and Sunspot are also amazingly different for being the same.

And, of course, I should mention Bludgeon and Banzaitron. They don't look incredibly different from one another, but their different color schemes (and Banzaitron's more mask-like face paint) make them look like a master and student, very Sith-like pair. Or at least, members of the same Transformers samurai clan.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to see in type instead of in my head. XD

EDIT:
    ...holy shit, Bee looks deadly evil there.

I smell a Bugbite repaint!

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Generations Blurr, and Wheeljack. Fireburst Optimus Prime.

16. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    I thought the Darkwind repaint of Silverbolt was amazing. His wavemate, Countdown from Cybertron Defense Red Alert was also pretty good. I also thought the Ratbat repaint from Cybertron Sideways was brilliant.

Also, pretty much anything from BotCon, lol.

17. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I also like Space Case better than Terradive but I love both. Skullgrin also. I also prefer WFC CJ over BB.

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Any scourge toy is great and my fav the animated ratchet/ironhide/troop mild.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about that Darkwind, he TOTALLY worked with that mold so much better than Silverbolt ever did. So did the Skyjack repaint of that same mold, come to think of it. Figures they were both exclusives.

20. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Alt Silverstreak is one of my top 5 Alternators! Perfect Transformer!

A few of my repaint picks:

ROTF Buster Optimus Prime
    Movie Masterpiece Starscream

Movie 1 Premium Ironhide
    Movie 1 Premium Bumblebee

Masterpiece Starscream (Walmart Exc)

Universe Constructicons (Target Exc) Buildking repaints...

BIS Cyclonus repaint of Universe Cyclonus

Cybertron Galvatron

the list goes on...