A rare find?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shmax, Apr 7, 2009.

1. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

I found this quirky little toy shop today here in Kyoto that is exactly the kind of place in the movies where they sell Gremlins and ground-up unicorn horn. The store was converted from a house, there were no customers, and the clerk was clearly snoring in a back room when I entered in. I wasn't even sure it was a shop, at first--you actually had to go through the guy's kitchen to get to his inventory, which was all crammed into a little bedroom in the back of the house. He had some old G.I.Joe dolls and the usual quasi-antique gold-plated transforming cigarette lighters, but he looked a bit crestfallen when I asked about Transformers. Then he perked up and directed my attention to a forlorn little shelf, and there was a set of tiny Convoys. He said that they were a "setto" meaning they are sold together. One toy was a loose Convoy in robot form, non-transforming, and the other was a non-transforming truck in a tiny little box that I at first thought was a fake because it was obviously just a shrunken-version of the original g1 box, but I bought it anyway.

A quick search in the 'ol shmax database id'ed them without too much fuss:
    Shmax - Package Details

So, I guess the question I'm trying to work up to is is this anything people are interested in? It doesn't mean much to me as I intend to put it up as a prize in my next photo contest, but I ask because the guy had a second set. Is it worth nabbing that one as well?

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I remember this was part of a miniature set released by takara-tomy a few years back. All their main lines or something like that but in miniature form.

iDD

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno about the Convoy, but if you found a Mogwai I'd for sure call that a rare fine and would for sure buy it! Haha

Side note: diggin the new dynamic sig. I like the way it lists thing under country. Neat!

4. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok dont sling Grmelins and the Japanese together like that. The Mogwai, which is fictional, is based from Chinese mythology. Totally different countries. Go watch Gremlins again. the guy who sells Gizmo is chinese. Cantonese to be exact, due to the dialect. Get your facts right. Dont make generalizations about something and not know its origins.

But I understand the use of metaphor and I cant think of a japanese equivalent to a "Mogwai shop" that is japanese. You could have just said Seedy local Shop

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine for around $4 on Yahoo Japan. They were relatively common around the time of their release... no idea about their scarcity now.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No disrespect to the creatures country of origin, just that he said it was like a place where you would find Gremlins that's all. And I'm a fan of both Gremlins flicks and have watched both numerous times. I just appreciated the referance :) 

7. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

Oh great, we've offended the Mogwainese. My apologies to our furry, ravenous friends. Just let me know where to send the baked ham. I'll express ship it, so it should arrive sometime around 3am--I hope that's cool. Well, I've gotta get going. Somebody told me there's a great theme-bar here in Kyoto where the walls are decorated with stuffed kangaroos, you know, like they have in Austria!