A Rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

(Already posted a help request in the Junkion, but still wanted to share here for general sympathy or derision. You choose!)

Ok. While traveling with my wife yesterday to Central Nowhere, PA, I hit up a Walmart. There in the clearance staring at me is MP Skywarp. Now I remembered back in December getting the YMMV on cheap Walmart Skywarps but never found one, and now 6 months later here he was! Even better, my wife (bless my luck) told me "What are you waiting for, buy him!" I did so without hesitation.

Only to get home and find that some jerk had apparently opened him up and stolen...of all things...the base and stand! He was pretty cheap and that Walmart was a ways away from me, so I'm probably stuck with him. Anyway, that's my sob story. Not the worst thing to ever happen to me or anyone here, but it frustrated me and I wanted to share.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it not possible to trade it in at a more local Walmart? Not sure how these chains work, but I reckon a company with stores everywhere must have some kind of policy where it doesn't matter at what store you return the item...

Anyway, sorry about the bad luck! Never fun to find out!

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that. You should be able to find one because skywarp has become the next Unicron lol. Every MP Custom is using Skywarp parts so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    They do, the problem is that by this point, the chances of finding a MP Skywarp (much less cheap as the price on stuff resets after a time) is about zilch.

From the sounds of it, the thing was returned by a jerk who stole the stuff as by this point, no WM should still have Skywarps floating in their system.

5. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    Pm'd

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

That sucks, man... but at least you got the toy out of it, right? :) 

7. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but you've got a receipt and can possibly exchange it for another one?
    That being said, I'm sorry to say I don't feel that sorry for you.

Here's why:

There's a bunch of Transformers fans not situated in the US (I'm one), buying their stuff from the US, or online.
    MULTIPLE TIMES I've gotten MISB figures missing stuff, from ebay or sites like this one, and there's no way to exchange for me. I'm stuck with what I get shipped. It's not like I can accuse a seller for a qualitycheck Hasbro/Takara is guilty of.
    You (lucky) US fans, most of the time you have the option to take your stuff back, complain, and get a replacement.
    I hear you even have the option to buy, take it home, play with it, find that you don't like it, AND RETURN IT TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK?????

I'm going to be blunt with you guys, seriously, you DO NOT KNOW how privileged you are.

I'm sorry, this is a good old rant, but my point is, as consumers in the US, you have every benefit there is and very little to complain about.

My 2c anyways.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While we may not have to pay or import the amount you do Houndvoice, it doesn't mean we shouldn't feel sorry if someone got ripped off. Show some damn compassion.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    isn't the stand visible in the packaging?
    i mean, the skywarp figs i have seen at walmart (mine has 3 and WON'T discount him) and it's almost completely clear plastic packaging.

i got a bit ripped by a seller off eBay- for a "great condition" AT-AT, the voice chip feature was broken- one of the buttons doesn't work and is missing a missile from the head launchers- so i can understand the sentiment you have.

if i don't completely pity you for this, i at least balance it with the frustration that comes with finding the one and only of something at a bargain and it's the one that's mucked up.

i bet you'll get fixed right up with the guys here.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Oh damn that does stink that you tracked down something you were really wanting only to find out that some bunghole had stolen stuff out of the package.

11. aledromo

Yeah, I felt pretty stupid afterward because I just assumed the stand was beneath him or something...I'd never seen one in package before. Anyway, it's annoying, but the group here has already offered a bit of solution to the problem. Also, to be fair, I probably would have bought him anyway. I just would have tried to get them to lower the price a bit more!

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That is a weird thing to steal.

But hey, ya didn't buy it for the stand, did ya?

13. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

I see some of the shadiest things happening at Walmart. A while back when Universe Silverbolt first came out, I was looking at them and picked one up, pressed the "try me" button, and nothing happened. That's when I realized that Silverbolt was no longer in the box, but a KO Jetfire was in there instead, Autobot stickers and all. I brought it to the attention of the toy dept person, who couldnt have cared any less and when she said "just dont buy that one". I was so angry and on my way out of the store but the thought of some kid getting that as a gift from a grandma who doesnt know any better made me go back in and take it to the store manager. They might have put it back on the shelf for all I know, but at least I got it off the shelf for a while.

Last Christmas I saw the same exact thing at a different Walmart with MP Skywarp. I found one that had a repainted Universe Skyfall in the package. The repaint was actually really well done but still, somebody went through all that trouble just to save themselves $30 when the actual figure clearanced for exactly that a month later!

Not to mention all the Star Wars figures I see on a regular basis with no weapons or accessories in the packages. Sometimes I recognize model kit parts tree sections painted blue or green in place of the actual lightsaber the figure comes with. Really? All that for a 2in long plastic lightsaber? They couldnt just spend the $6-7 on another figure? I just feel bad for the kid that ends up getting gyped when they get that toy!

So whenever shopping at Walmart, especially in the clearance section, inspect the packaging well and if you see any signs that it's been tampered with, open it and inspect it further. I've never had anyone question me when opening something to make sure it's all there. Just make sure if you do buy it, buy the one you openend ;) 

Sorry for going on a rant myself, I get pissy when I see this stuff going on. Sorry it had to happen to you.
    Later

14. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

:lol  :lol  :lol 

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It's none of my business, but how much did you pay for it? And was this one possibly clearanced because of the missing stand?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  16. aledromo

Great points, Hippie. It's like a Wal-Mart survival guide.

That's a good question. I paid $25, marked down from $30. Given that it wasn't a slash and burn, I didn't expect that it would be defective. If he had been $15 I'd have posted how happy I was he had a head. Luckly, Mr. Warp himself is in all ways fine, so it could have been far worse.

17. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I really hate it when people like you complain about us being lucky. He's mad becuase even if he returns it there probably ISN'T another one aat any walmart. And damn You should still fell kinda bad for him. and if you don't then don't get pissed. I mean think about it. He has to spend money on gas to get there, and probably go hunting one down. I havn't seen a skywarp in freggin' ages and not a boatload of people can find them. I can never find ANYTHING actually so I don't know what you are whining about.

18. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    USA! USA! USA!

amirite?

USA!

19. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

@Houndvoice :

How is any of what you said the original poster's fault.... or relevant to what is being discussed for that matter? This is simply a matter of someone who purchased something from a store, the item should have been in good condition and it turned out it wasnt. On top of that, there is no replacement available anywhere so it's a choice of keeping an incomplete purchase, or returning it and NOT getting a replacement. Sure, he get's his money back but if he wanted to keep his money he wouldnt have made the purchase in the first place.

As for bad ebay purchases, sure, there's some bad deals out there, we've all had them. But for the most part any time I've received something broken or incomplete, whether it was the fault of the seller or the manufacturer, I've always received some kind of compensation. Be it a partial refund, an exchange or a replacement sent. But to make that happen you have to say something to the seller. You cant just assume you're screwed and leave it at that because if you do, well... you really are screwed.
    We have a saying; "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Sorry you seem to be in a region that doesnt cater to shopping, but if you're getting screwed so much on Ebay maybe you should stick to other means of online shopping like BBTS, TFSource or ToyArena. That way you have a return option if you need it.

Later

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Many of the MP Skywarps in my local Walmarts are repackaged broken and with missing parts.