a rant that I'd like your help with

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by NotFastEnuff, Jul 16, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi everyone. I've got a problem and would like appreciate your opinions on what I should do. We are all toy collectors. We all either enjoy the hunt, or hate it. None of like scalpers. I have been presented with a unique opportunity. I can blow the whistle on a WM associate and at least one major scalper. I have names, phone #s, and ebay store listings. I know WM will do something about this, because a good friend of mine was fired from WM for being ACCUSED of it. He wasn't actually doing anything. He's not a toy collector, but a customer (whom he wouldn't get stock out of the back room for) accused him of it, and he was fired. No questions asked. The customer regularly spends about $1000 at a time on MLs and such. Yes, I'm not kidding, and I can prove it. What I want to know is:
    Should I blow the whistle?
    Should I just keep my mouth shut?
    Write in a suggestion.

Thanks.

2. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the scalper! Scalpers must DIE!!! They are why I dont got Cybertron Unicron yet!

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree, if someone you know is doing something illegal, you should report them.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yup, let the guys high up know about it, Scalpers arent just ripping older collectors off, but theyre stopping younger kid's getting toys they wanted, because they happen to be 'rare' or something.

Drop the bomb on this guy bigtime.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Narc them out

6. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Scalping bad...

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    toast the guys ass.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I'm with everyone here. Get 'em both. It's one thing to scope out a store daily because you have no life. It's another to have sources who will put stuff away until you come in. I'm almost 100% certain I have those guys here but I can't prove it. if I could, I would. If they want the toys so badly, start an online store and order fro mthe distrobution center or get a stocking job at WM for 7.00/hr.

9. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've gotta agree. Report the scalper and associate.

One of the reasons I rarely buy doubles of figures (besides the monitary reasons) is that I'm depriving children the chance of getting rarer figures. It's difficult enough to get new stuff in NY as is, I don't need to make it worse for others.

Besides, scalpers make toys like Energon Ultra Magnus and Alt Swerve ridiculously prohibitive to purchase. :( 

10. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

You Can Do It!

11. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Burn him at the stake!!! f'n scalpers make me drive all over God's green Earth looking for toys. Do it! get some vengance on that mother f***er!

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    *pee-wee voice*
    I say we let him go...

Burn the witch!

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Hate to say it but nothing will happen to the scalper and if I read correctly your friend wouldnt go get him stock to buy thus not doing his job and being fired? Do you think WM cares that this guy is scalping? Nope! He is a customer who is spending lots of money all the time do you really think they will stop that? Im not saying its right but your friend should of got the stock that what he gets paid to do.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get the SOBs. I may ask at TRu when the trucks come in so i can show up the next day. But I'd never ask them to hold something in the back. Also i kinda depends on who the item is being held for. If it is a collector who calls and asks them to put a figure aside fine. Scalper asking for an entire box. Screw them.

I make my rounds almost everyday. I see two Hot Wheels guys and got to know them well. They don't sell. Just collect and trade. They rarely do any ebay stuff. One guy got 2-3 of the rare Cars cars and tried to sell them. That was a rarity. Well one guy in town they know is a scalper. I've started to go to the Target the scalper goes to and i try to find the chase Hot Wheels (Treasure Hunts) first. i found one and was back around to the TF aisle with it before scalper saw me.. hehe. I sold it at cost to one of the hot wheels guys for $1. No profit. He sold me a chase Sentry he found out of town for cost. well a little less he didn't charge me tax.

Scratch my back I'll scratch yours is fine. I'd rather see collectors and kids get it than a greedy opportunistic slimeball scalper.

15. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Target now has little signs up saying they will not search the back on collectible items.. Not sure if that includes TFs. I have seen them on Star Wars and Hot Wheels though.

16. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Okay, so I won't be as ridiculously and embarrassingly vehement as some other posters here, but nevertheless:

Blow the whistle.

It sounds like this guy is stockpiling goods for his own consumer and resale purposes. As far as I know, in most stores, that's breaking the rules for one very simple purpose: it drives away customers if they can't find what they want at your store. And, although the product (action figures) is still being paid for, you lose customers who, while going to your store for action figures, may purchase other goods, thereby increasing the store's overall revenue.

17. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    If your store does not have the product do you think any consumer will just wait for it to arrive or do you think they will look around? Collectors usually check a range of stores all the time so if you do not see it in one store move on. No store is going to turn away money from this guy because then they would lose a customer.

18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    but if the person is buying to simply resell the item then you are better off with the person who will buy other items too..

19. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Do you really think that WM Zellers and so on care what this person does with the items he paid for? Its all about the $ signs

20. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I say beat that sucker like he owe's you child support!

So yeah, blow the whistle. Massive, large-scale, professional scalping like that is a huge pain in the ass for EVERYONE, not just toy collectors.